Menu

Abeka 5th Grade Old World History/Geography

rubyslippers

I want to focus a little more on geography this year and I came across this resource while researching some ideas I got from this board (different thread). I wonder if has anyone used it? It looks like mostly geography, with a little history about each area thrown in. I know Abeka gets a bad rap, but this book looks decent? Am I missing something?

Edited by rubyslippers

I was actually thinking the same thing except with Abeka Grade 6 New World History and Geography.  I want my kids to do a geography study of South American and was having a hard time finding books to use for it.  I have not yet used it, but am thinking one day a week having them read the A Beka book and do some map work.

• Like 1

I have not studied this particular book in great detail recently, but I shy away from content subjects with A Beka, namely history and science. We use their elementary math and may use some of their language arts next year, but their history books tend to be dry textbooks and a bit slanted for my taste. I read several in my own education. That said, history was still my favorite subject, and if it fits your needs, use it as you wish. Curriculum is not your teacher, it is a tool the teacher uses as they need to. Don't worry about reputation if you have reviewed it and believe it will serve you well.

• Like 2

It's mostly history. I did both the 5th grade book and the 6th grade book with my son. I had been doing history TWTM way, but my second son just struggled and hated it, so I decided to just go with historical literacy. The Geography portion is map work and drilling. Which I think is fine. My kid knows where things are in the world. The history... I struggle. I love history and I like to study it and I can't stand it when The Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark and Westward Expansion can be covered in two pages. We studied WWI yesterday. In a page and a half. But, that's what it is. It's a textbook covering a tremendous amount of time and information, so it is very distilled. And it's boring. I do supplement with other reading of American History in more narrative form, but... that's what we're doing. I wouldn't say my kid likes it, but it's easier for him to understand. I think it depends on your goals and desires for history. If it's to be historically literate... To know that these things happened in our history, have a few names and dates and information, then it's fine. I do think the geography drilling is good.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

It's mostly history. I did both the 5th grade book and the 6th grade book with my son. I had been doing history TWTM way, but my second son just struggled and hated it, so I decided to just go with historical literacy. The Geography portion is map work and drilling. Which I think is fine. My kid knows where things are in the world. The history... I struggle. I love history and I like to study it and I can't stand it when The Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark and Westward Expansion can be covered in two pages. We studied WWI yesterday. In a page and a half. But, that's what it is. It's a textbook covering a tremendous amount of time and information, so it is very distilled. And it's boring. I do supplement with other reading of American History in more narrative form, but... that's what we're doing. I wouldn't say my kid likes it, but it's easier for him to understand. I think it depends on your goals and desires for history. If it's to be historically literate... To know that these things happened in our history, have a few names and dates and information, then it's fine. I do think the geography drilling is good.

This is super helpful.  Thank you! We have only done living books up till now, and she loves history.  She reads it all the time on her own, so I wondered if a guided study like this might be good for her.  She also loves to memorize things.  But if it's too incredibly boring, she will lose interest pretty quickly.  So that's something to keep in mind.  I asked her to read the sample, and she read the entire thing and said it was interesting.  But that was two pages, not an entire book.  

It is so hard for me to even consider a textbook, having never used one - but she is my history buff, and I want to keep challenging her.  

Edited by rubyslippers

It's fine. . .but it is a textbook. Lots of information but dry like nobody's business. My current 7th grader used it in 5th grade. He did fine with it at the time but we're talking ZERO retention long term.  My favorite part of those abeka history books is the pretty map section in the back. I have all of the elementary ones and think they do make a great reference.

I was actually thinking the same thing except with Abeka Grade 6 New World History and Geography.  I want my kids to do a geography study of South American and was having a hard time finding books to use for it.  I have not yet used it, but am thinking one day a week having them read the A Beka book and do some map work.

Have you looked into Rod and Staff?  Their 6th grade history/geography is "Understanding Latin America." It covers all of South America, as well as Mexico, Central America, and the West Indies. It is heavy on geography and has students do mapping for each of the countries studied.  You can view the table of contents and samples here: http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-196--/?list=Rod_and_Staff_Grade_6