Menu

Does anyone use a hotspot or other type of wifi connection for online classes?

We don't have a Uverse type option or even DSL so we have to use a hotspot for internet connection.  Does anyone else use this type of connection and take online classes successfully?  TPS has said that it likely won't work and I tried testing the system they use and I cannot successfully pass their audio test.  :(  I really need this to work out.  Help!

We have used it successfully for AoPS class, but it doesn't require audio. Basically we have attended AoPS classes in parking lots, soccer fields…. using hotspots. We have also used free Starbucks wifi numerous times without an issue. But AoPS is strictly text based class. 

• Like 2

Would a signal booster help? Are you usually under the full number of bars on your cell phone? 

Yes, never full bars.  We currently have ATT, but we are changing to TMobile.  The TMobile agent I spoke to lives in rural Maine and takes an online class and does fine.  They also offer a booster if the signal is weak.  TPS did say we might have to go to a coffee shop or something.  Would getting full bars help?  We could go somewhere if we had to if it's just a full bar problem.  There may be hope?

We have used Starbucks and McDonalds free wifi for Blackboard Elluminate classes for years. Both places use AT&T wifi. The classes required my boys to use the mic to speak and they have to be able to see the slides and hear the teacher.   We did get the most powerful usb wifi adaptor for my boys older laptops because their onboard wifi was too slow.  With their new laptops, the onboard wifi was already the latest technology..

We have no problem with library wifi before lunch but after 3pm, many are using the free wifi and it is harder to get a good stable connection.

We have used it successfully for AoPS class, but it doesn't require audio. Basically we have attended AoPS classes in parking lots, soccer fields…. using hotspots. We have also used free Starbucks wifi numerous times without an issue. But AoPS is strictly text based class. 

Yes, TPS mentioned having to do this.  Sigh. 

We have used Starbucks and McDonalds free wifi for Blackboard Elluminate classes for years. Both places use AT&T wifi. The classes required my boys to use the mic to speak and they have to be able to see the slides and hear the teacher.   We did get the most powerful usb wifi adaptor for my boys older laptops because their onboard wifi was too slow.  With their new laptops, the onboard wifi was already the latest technology..

We have no problem with library wifi before lunch but after 3pm, many are using the free wifi and it is harder to get a good stable connection.

This sounds like what TPS uses, but the name of their system is GP5.  I'll look into the adaptor and booster, too.

My daughter has successfully used a hotspot for her online classes. She uses it in the car and as a backup for when internet goes down. She's done this regularly for a few years with no problem.

Yes, this. We've done online classes with full audio and virtual classroom slides via hotspot driving across the country accessing both Elluminate/Blackboard and e-lecta based classes. I have to wonder what kind of archaic technology their virtual classroom uses that wouldn't be accessible with a hotspot.

• Like 1

We have used our Verizon hotspot on occasion, with some difficulties.  I agree with PPs that it works better for a text-based class than a live one.  A booster DOES help but sadly is not necessarily a complete solution.  We have found that even -ostensibly - full bars of 4G may still not prevent a live class being dropped.  We were on the road, though, so maybe the transfer from tower to tower caused the problem?  It does seem to work pretty well when we're stationary, ie, in a hotel room.  HTH.

Yes. We've used my Verizon Hotspot (my iphone) numerous times to attend Lukeion and Wilson Hill classes while traveling in the car. In fact, I try to make sure Tuesdays are driving days when we travel so that she can attend her classes. The hotspot is never a problem unless I try to talk on the phone at the same time. It tends to kick her off. The biggest problem she has is that her laptop dies! So she'll use the laptop for Lukeion, then switch to the ipad for Wilson Hill when she has them back to back. It works since WHA works on the ipad (Lukeion doesn't).

For those who have used the hot spot for classes - do you know about how much data you were using? We keep thinking about trying to do something like this, but have limited data plans on our hotspot.

Skype video calling uses 22.5 MB per minute, and I'm guessing that online interactive classes would be around the same. That would mean around 1GB per 45 minutes of live streaming.