Menu

Sibling SSI and financial aid verification?

PuddleJumper1

Ds' FAFSA was tagged for verification. We've had this once before not not this particular issue. Our younger son receives Supplemental Security Income due to significant disabilities. Older ds' University is asking for a Statement of Social Security Benefits this year. We've explained to them that SSI is not counted in the household income and can not be used for anyone other than the individual who is receiving it. We sent a letter explaining this but they want a benefits statement. I'm not even sure such a thing exists. Has anyone here run into this particular situation? I'm on hold with the University (have been for 30 mins) and thought I'd see what the experience here might be.

Thanks

My kids and I receive survivor benefits. We each get a yearly benefit statement that shows how much money we received for the year. Since that doesn't sound familiar to you, it sounds like SSI receipiants do not not receive such a statement. Does he receive a statement near the end of the year that says if benefits will be adjusted next year and how much he will receive each month? If the yearly statement, looks just like that. Could you send that instead, with a copy of the rule that this money can only be used for younger son.

I wonder if the college has the different types of SS benefits confused.

Sorry for the extra frustration.

• Like 1

So an hour and a half later they still could not tell me exactly what they want or why. We now have to make an appointment to go in and speak to the verification folks. 

Since that doesn't sound familiar to you, it sounds like SSI receipiants do not not receive such a statement. Does he receive a statement near the end of the year that says if benefits will be adjusted next year and how much he will receive each month? If the yearly statement, looks just like that.

I wonder if the college has the different types of SS benefits confused.

We don't get a statement. We can't even set up an account online to keep up with his SSI. We do get a Representative Payee Report to file each year which has the year's amount on it. I'll have to take that with me.

My concern is what they intend to do with the information. It has nothing to do with older ds and in reality they are outside their bounds to even ask for it. Neither the IRS or FAFSA includes that info (in fact they directly exclude it). 

• Like 1

Personally, I would bring the copy of the SS/IRS info that says it should not be included. If they can't explain what they need or why they need it, I would use the meeting to educate them on the guidelines. I would bring my tax returns and everything else they could possibly need. I would just keep saying, what or we don't have that when they say what they need.

I hope the college is located near you. That sounds like a lot of work

• Like 2

Is it possible that they won't count it as income, but also won't count the need of extra care for the son that gets it as a family budget item?

I've run into this explanation with respect to military housing allowance.  Some forms don't need it to be reported.  Others want to see it reported, but then don't count it as income and also don't count housing costs as a budget need.  

• Like 1

If you haven't already, I contact the Social Security office.  I'd want to check if you even have to provide this type of information.  I'd be concerned the college is going to count it against you in some way.

I did that while on hold with the university :) My son's worker has no idea what they want but she's sending me a summary. It's only being handed over if they can give me a really good reason why they need it. 

Personally, I would bring the copy of the SS/IRS info that says it should not be included. If they can't explain what they need or why they need it, I would use the meeting to educate them on the guidelines. I would bring my tax returns and everything else they could possibly need. I would just keep saying, what or we don't have that when they say what they need.

I hope the college is located near you. That sounds like a lot of work

This is my concern as well. They actually have everything they need. This was an add on at the last minute. They tell me that can't finish verification without it but can't tell me what 'it' is. Thus the need for an appointment  :huh: Thankfully we're only about 45 mins away. 

Is it possible that they won't count it as income, but also won't count the need of extra care for the son that gets it as a family budget item?

I've run into this explanation with respect to military housing allowance.  Some forms don't need it to be reported.  Others want to see it reported, but then don't count it as income and also don't count housing costs as a budget need.  

That may well be their thinking.

I'm curious to know why the university even knows that your son receives SSI. The request sounds out of bounds to me. 

Their verification form asks if anyone in the parent's household receives certain benefits. SSI is listed among them. Crazy thing is they keep changing the form. The first year it asked for the whole household (and they were happy with a letter of explanation from us), last year they changed it to 'you or your parents' so we could answer that no. This year they changed it back to 'anyone in the household' and seem very confused with what to do with a 'yes' answer and the letter is not doing it for them this year.   :glare:  I agree - it does seem out of bounds. 

The really crazy part of this is - ds will be a senior with only two senior seminars to take. He doesn't even need the financial aid they will offer but they will not release his account to receive his Pell Grant until this is cleared up and that he does need.

Edited by PuddleJumper1