Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

My son got in touch with his future roomie.

They've exchanged several emails, and about the only thing they've discussed is XBOX related.

At least they got their priorities right. (LOL)

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 14

Ha!  At least they've got that in common!  

I remember when I was an incoming freshman.  Snail mail and exchanging a school picture was all we could do.  I wish I could have googled & done a little light internet research before meeting my roommate on move-in day.  That is one good thing about social media in today's world.  

• Like 1

Ha! At least they've got that in common!

I remember when I was an incoming freshman. Snail mail and exchanging a school picture was all we could do. I wish I could have googled & done a little light internet research before meeting my roommate on move-in day. That is one good thing about social media in today's world.

Actually, I think it can be a double-edged sword. Sometimes too much knowledge ahead of time can lead to snap judgments. I'm not saying it always does, but I know ds had a female friend who was in a triple at her school her freshman year, and there was definitely some drama already in the works before they ever arrived on campus.

At ds's school, everyone gets pot luck, and no one can choose a roommate ahead of time. It's not a perfect system, but no judgments can be made until you meet them in the flesh on move-in day. I kind of like that.

• Like 2

Kinsa, how did he get his roommate?

Totally random. Ds signed up for a particular dorm room, and apparently this kid did too. They know nothing of each other.

• Like 1

I asked ds last night where his roommate was from. He has no idea. But he knows which XBOX games the roomie's bringing to college. (LOL)

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 6

Wow, that's super fast, not just in being assigned the room but in the school notifying the student. They sure are organized.

Actually, I think it can be a double-edged sword. Sometimes too much knowledge ahead of time can lead to snap judgments. I'm not saying it always does, but I know ds had a female friend who was in a triple at her school her freshman year, and there was definitely some drama already in the works before they ever arrived on campus.

At ds's school, everyone gets pot luck, and no one can choose a roommate ahead of time. It's not a perfect system, but no judgments can be made until you meet them in the flesh on move-in day. I kind of like that.

That's for sure, and I'm guilty of it myself.  When my dd got her 3 random roommate assignments for her 4-person campus apartment (just a week or two before classes), they were chatting a little on Facebook.  Wow -- I was shocked to see what one of the girls had posted!  I was ready to encourage my dd to request a room change right then and there!

Well it turns out that this foursome of girls gets along beautifully.  Like a little family.  Sure, the one is more of a live-wire, but her outbursts on Facebook did not represent her well at all.

Another dd went on a Facebook chat forum with all of the students who were going on a semester abroad the following semester (from all over the U.S.).  She made a comment something like, "As long as I don't get so-and-so for a roommate there, it should be fine."  Well guess what -- she got so-and-so for her roommate.  And she ended up being her best friend.  :)  She has said many times that she certainly learned a lesson!

• Like 3