Menu

Prodigy Parent Dashboard Question

nature girl

My DD has been playing Prodigy for about a month now. I've given her assignments, with a week to complete them, and can see the questions in the dashboard, but when I click to see progress the dashboard tells me the question types are unanswered. I've watched her play, and I know she's had questions that address some of the areas assigned (although she's also gotten other question types that I never assigned.) Any idea why I haven't been able to see her progress? In the general dashboard, it actually says she hasn't answered any questions this week or last, which I know isn't true since she's played at least 5 days in the past two weeks.

Is it in the process of doing some sort of initial assessment, even though she's been playing for a month, and even though I'd already assigned her to 1st grade? And if that's the case, how long should that assessment take, and after it's done will I need to re-assign the lesson types I'd wanted her to do?

There is an initial assessment when you start but how long it takes would largely depend on how long she plays (and how many questions she answers when she plays).  

If you go on your dashboard, under "current assignments", what does it say? Does it say it is doing the initial assessment or does it say the name of the assignment you gave her?

There is an initial assessment when you start but how long it takes would largely depend on how long she plays (and how many questions she answers when she plays).  

If you go on your dashboard, under "current assignments", what does it say? Does it say it is doing the initial assessment or does it say the name of the assignment you gave her?

She has 4 "active assignments," is that what you mean? But when I click on View Full Report it says that none of the questions have been completed.

I see a box for Placement Test results, which I hadn't noticed before, a blue circle that says Test in Progress. I'm just shocked that it's still assessing her after all this time she's been playing. She's getting annoyed, because the questions they're asking are mostly too simple, and she needs to do things like move up to 20 dots or base 10 blocks instead of just giving a numerical answer to addition or subtraction problems. I wish there was some way to bypass those types of questions...(It's also asked her how many sides/vertices are in a triangle or square over-and-over-and-over-and-over...)

If you've assigned tasks, those will take place over the default Prodigy assessment/curriculum. So likely, what's happening is, she's getting you're assignments, finishing them, and then seeing some of the diagnostic assessment questions. But she's only seeing a few of those at a time because then you're giving her a new assignment.

I don't have an answer for the dashboard issues though. You can ask at their forum...there is a tech support thread.

Ah, okay, thanks Sweetpea! So maybe I should just unassign the questions and let her complete the assessment as quickly as possible...(The assessment is all annoying questions for her, though, blah. I wish they wouldn't assess at all, although I understand why that's necessary for classrooms.)

ETA: Thinking about it, to keep her interested in playing, maybe I should just sit in front of the TV some evening and do most of the assessment questions for her--at least the questions below her level--since I know what she does and doesn't know. Reading up on what they say about assessment, it looks like they start assessing at 2 grade levels below the assigned level, which explains a lot.

Edited by Anna's Mom

My son plays on and off (a lot when he is into it). Currently he is working through assigned problems because I want him to :) He did complete the background assessment. He didn't seem bothered by it.

I noticed that the dashboard's graph is showing no activity. However, the little message at the top right is showing me that he completed the work I assigned. Maybe there's a temporary glitch.

Edit to add: The assessment will automatically assign harder questions randomly. When my son started playing (who is K5) got a question similar to 57+23. He did not know how to answer that. So the program didn't ask again. I guess my point it that I don't think the program lingers on easy questions or questions that are too hard.

Edited by 908874