Menu

Add grammar to AAR? When and what?

We've used AAR thru level 4. We didn't do any grammar in 1st other than read some fun story type books about the parts of speech to introduce them. They're a series by Ruth Heller. Very cute.

Then in 2nd we did Easy Grammar as a gentle intro to the subject.

Next year we're starting First Language Lessons Level 3.

Any of these are an easy supplement to AAR and AAS and only take about 10-15 minutes/day.

I'm going to be using AAR for my 1st grader, and then eventually AAS. We'll also be doing IEW PALS Writing. It includes handwriting practice, introductory grammar, and writing. The package also includes AAS 1, but I'm pretty sure you can order it without that if you already have.

http://iew.com/shop/products/primary-arts-language-writing-complete-package

IEW also has Fix It Grammar available. I'll be using that for my soon-to-be 3rd grader.

http://iew.com/shop/products/fix-it-grammar-complete-package-6-teacher’s-manuals

I haven't used Fix It yet, but I've read good things about it. Plus, the lessons are pretty quick, 10-15 minutes, which was appealing.

I would continue with AAR and AAS. I would add copy work or a simple handwriting workbook a few times a week (not every day). I would also use BJU Engish 2 for the fall. I recently started using this. I've already bought level 3. It alternates chapters between grammar lessons and writing lessons. It gets done and we're learning.