Menu

Burgess "Adventure" books -negative reviews??

scrapper4life

So I was ready to get a boxed set of these books to use as read alouds for my K5 son....then I started finding several negative reviews on amazon. So I thought I'd check with the hive :)

Anyone feel that these books model bad behavior/habits? If so, is this left unchecked/"no lesson learned " I read a couple in my own childhood and don't recall anything of the sort. Just wondering because I was really surprised to read negative reviews.

The animal stories? My boys loved those books when they were younger.

I don't recall bad lessons. The animals sometimes do bad things, but there are consequences. You know the fox, or whatever, isn't being kind.

I guess it's been a long while, and maybe I've forgotten something. But I'm pretty sensitive--I didn't like Brer Rabbit for example--and don't remember feeling hesitant to keep reading these.

We bought and read all of them. I still have them, because they were such nice memories for me.

Edited by sbgrace

So I was ready to get a boxed set of these books to use as read alouds for my K5 son....then I started finding several negative reviews on amazon. So I thought I'd check with the hive :)

Anyone feel that these books model bad behavior/habits? If so, is this left unchecked/"no lesson learned " I read a couple in my own childhood and don't recall anything of the sort. Just wondering because I was really surprised to read negative reviews.

We loved these books so much that we have them all, and I mean all.

I highly recommend you give them a try. If you are unsure you can get them free online since they are so old. 

There were a favorite series for such a long time. So many good memories. 

Ooookay then. My second grader has been reading them herself this year. I can't remember anything alarming in the slightest from when my teens read them with me as littles, so I have just handed them over to DD/2nd. Her favorite was Paddy the Beaver, and even brought up his strong work ethic during working on a tough school lesson.

The character behavior in the book mimics the behavior the real animal would have, and if they didn't learn a lesson, that's the lesson. They're loaded with nature study.

I loved these as a kid and kept the ones I had (not a complete set). My 2nd grader is deep into them right now and loving it. We're reading the Bird Book together in Morning Time as well. I can't imagine what negative messages a child would get from those books!

You mean this box set?

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Thornton-Burgess-Animal-Stories/dp/0486276341/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There is a single 2-star review that has issues with the "morality" of the books. The 3-star reviews are about font size and similar issues. Then there are four 4-star reviews and 50 5-star reviews praising the books highly. I think you have your answer.

• Like 1