Menu

Is this a blood pressure issue or blood sugar or something else... need ideas- doctor is no help

housemouse

I am trying to figure out if what I am having is a blood pressure or blood sugar issue or something totally different.

For the last few year I have been having "episodes". Just had one today as I was shopping- they never happen at home, always when I am out. I get flushed (warm) usually most of the body, sometimes just the legs, sometimes just upper body and face and then my legs gets all wobbly. I can stand and walk, but it feels like they can give at any moment. My head usually gets funny and it feels like I am about to pass out I just never let it get that far. I found that if I squat down and stay down for a few moments, it goes away on its own. If I have kids with me, I take an aspirin- make me feel better as precaution although I am pretty sure it does nothing. When it started happening, I had echo done and EKG which was all clear. My blood pressure is naturally low-usually 96/60 to 110/65, rarely higher than that. Sometimes it may get down to 90/60 but that is in the mornings.  Doctor is no help.

I don't get these "episodes" often- sometimes I may have 2 in a month and then nothing for 6 months. I have not found any correlation between the "episodes" and any particular activity, or food or location. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for any of it. No warning either. They just happen. And when they do happen, they are scary.

I would love to hear what this may be, especially from ladies in the medical field.

Thank you so very much.

I checked by blood sugar within 10 minutes and it was 99. I thought with low sugar it just gets worse. In my case it got better in about 1 minute or so.m

Then does sound like blood pressure being low, or a version of orthostatic hypotension. Especially if you are on your feet for a while when it happens, and the blood is pooling in your legs maybe, and not enough in your brain? Might be more autonomic dysfunction than POTS exactly, but if you google the symptoms they would be similar. And then it gets better when you sit or squat down and get the blood back in your head?

Also, if it is that, try coughing. It helps get the blood back to the brain. Just force a cough. 

Sounds like low blood pressure. Read about POTS as suggested. Also increase your salt intake to see if it helps. I've had adrenal issues for the last nine years now and when my cortisol is getting low I start getting lightheaded easily. I've found I need to salt my water when exercising or I don't recover well. As one point the salt water started to taste yucky, instead of good, which I took to be a signal that I didn't need it anymore (at that time). Eventually I needed to return to adding what I guess is about 1/4 tsp to my water bottle.

When I've felt that way, I have been dehydrated or anemic.  I even passed out 2 different times, six months apart.  The second time I was already in the A&E (emergency room) visiting my mother-in-law, so I got checked out right away.  I find making sure I get enough salt helps a bit, too.  It's scary as I get little warning before I pass out.  I, too, have very, very low blood pressure naturally, but until the past year I haven't had any fainting issues.

Check your pulse rate when it's happening.  These might be fibrillation episodes.  Depending on which part of the heart they're in, and how long they go on, they can be no big deal except for the inconvenience.  Or they might be a bigger issue.  But I don't know that it's going to be picked up when you're not having them.

Do you feel anything in the chest area?  If it's PAIN you need to consider a heart attack.  But if it's just a generalized weirdness, it could be pointing to a fibrillation episode.  Or you might not feel anything at all in that area even with an episode.

If a cardiologist thinks that might be the issue, they can put you on a monitor that you wear for a few days.  But.... you 'd need to have an episode happen to find anything.

It's definitely worth talking it over with a cardiologist, though, if it doesn't look to be blood sugar or blood pressure.  An EKG done by a GP may not tell much.

I would go to another cardiologist who would look deeper than an EKG. Those don't tell you much of there isn't damage. I would've thought a Holter monitor not unreasonable in your situation. Seriously- get a second opinion and make sure you're seeing a cardiologist. Not a GP or internist.

I had gone to cardiologist and they did Echo as well as EKG and there was nothing there. I was given an all clear.

Edited by housemouse

I've got low blood pressure that only becomes symptomatic when I'm pregnant or when I'm in a hot tub or sauna.  Though, for the first time ever, last week I experienced symptoms of sudden dizziness, sweating and nausea while sitting on the toilet, along with stomach pain (which sent me to the toilet in the first place). I'm pretty sure it was an allergic reaction. I quickly took some Reactin, lay down, and was better very quickly. I had my epi-pen ready just in case. It was pretty scary, so I can imagine your distress when you experience these things for no apparent reason.

Have you looked into the possibility of allergies that may be triggering your dizzy spells?  I would check this. Otherwise, I'd look to increasing your salt and water intake. I'd also go back to my doctor with a detailed list of all the times I've had the dizzy spells. 

Edited by wintermom

I had similar episodes when my thyroid was tanking, before I was diagnosed.  They also always happened when I was out shopping.  Typically I would be standing in line waiting to pay.  I'd get flushed and a slightly dizzy, lightheaded feeling like I was going to pass out.  The worst of the feeling would always pass within a few seconds to a minute (at the most), but it would leave me feeling a bit off for an hour or two.  I blamed it on menopause, but I haven't had a spell like that since I started on levothyroxine last June.