Menu

Do you do Math drills? If so, what do you use?

Vintage81

My daughters are currently in Kindergarten and 2nd grade. They both do well in math, although it's definitely not my 2nd graders favorite. I'm still trying to plan out next year's curriculum and I was wondering if I should include some sort of math drills.

I was leaning towards Calculadders, but that's not set in stone. I'd really like something for iPad, but I honestly haven't searched too much for apps.

Are math drills worth doing? If so, what would you recommend? I'd like to stay away from worksheets with a million problems on them because I know I'd be met with resistance.

Thanks!

Flashmaster - It's a handheld device but well worth it.  I'm using it on child #3 now and so far, all of them have good math fact recall.  It's not fun and not a game, but it does flashcards for me so I don't have to sit there and do it.  I know it's crazy expensive for what it is, but it's been used daily when school is in session for 3 kids and 11 years of use.

No, we don't drill.

Knowing math facts is important. But for some learners drilling is not effective. I love what it says in the RughtStart teacher book about the only people who like flash cards are the ones who don't need them.

We teach conceptual math and lots of mental strategies. We then get facility with the facts by using them in meaningful problem solving. We also play games. My kids get a multiplication chart to use at their discretion. They eventually have looked things up and used the facts so much the just stop using the chart.

I know that strategy isn't for everyone, and drill is actually better for some. I just wanted to testify that there's more than one way to get the job done.

• Like 5

We were using an app on our Kindle...I think it was called Card Facts or something like that.

But we've recently switched to Prodigy Math for all math review including fact practice.  There's an iPad app for it, but it's also available through Google browser on Android devices, or you can access it directly on any computer/laptop.  

I love it because it's highly customizable.  Almost all concepts I might want my kids to review...are on there, and I can assign them to the kids.  The kids love it because it's an interactive role playing game.  

It's linked in my sig!  Check it out!  

We tried Calculadder and other math drills, but my kids always hated anything that was timed. They felt stressed out trying to reach the time goal, and it was making them hate math.

We replaced drill-type practice with math games, and it made a huge difference. I've shared a dozen or more of these games on my blog:

• Like 2

We're using rocketmath.com this year!  The kids in the neighborhood use it at the local public school and I checked it out. I love it!  All my kids practice and drill at the same time and to their individual goals.  We're drilling addition, multiplication, multiplication and division all at the same time.  Plus it's almost hands free for me!  Anything I can do to get less off my plate so that I can focus on other subjects is great!

We've tried flashcards, calculadder, timez attack, flashmaster, xtramath. . . this is hands down my favorite find of the year!

Different children have needed different strategies here. I've used....

-a simple flashcard app for the iPad - addition, subtraction, multiplication, division

-skip counting and filling out blank multiplication tables

-using Ray's Intellectual Arithmetic for oral drills

-giving more practice with word problems that reinforce facts

-playing games such as Maria Miller's "last math card game you'll ever need" and yahtzee

I agree with Targhee that it can be important to figure out how a particular student needs to learn. You can waste a lot of time on flashcard styles, and cause a lot of needless frustration, if that's just not how their mind works. On the other hand, if that is what they need, then you need to make the time for the drills.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 1

No, we don't drill.

Knowing math facts is important. But for some learners drilling is not effective. I love what it says in the RughtStart teacher book about the only people who like flash cards are the ones who don't need them.

We teach conceptual math and lots of mental strategies. We then get facility with the facts by using them in meaningful problem solving. We also play games. My kids get a multiplication chart to use at their discretion. They eventually have looked things up and used the facts so much the just stop using the chart.

I know that strategy isn't for everyone, and drill is actually better for some. I just wanted to testify that there's more than one way to get the job done.

Different children have needed different strategies here. I've used....

-a simple flashcard app for the iPad - addition, subtraction, multiplication, division

-skip counting and filling out blank multiplication tables

-using Ray's Intellectual Arithmetic for oral drills

-giving more practice with word problems that reinforce facts

-playing games such as Maria Miller's "last math card game you'll ever need" and yahtzee

I agree with Targhee that it can be important to figure out how a particular student needs to learn. You can waste a lot of time on flashcard styles, and cause a lot of needless frustration, if that's just not how their mind works. On the other hand, if that is what they need, then you need to make the time for the drills.

I definitely plan on taking some time over our summer break to figure out what might work best for each of them. I agree that what might work for one may not work for the other, so there's probably going to be some trial and error.

I'm not too concerned about my kindergartner yet, since she's only just starting basic addition and subtraction. With my 2nd grader, I never even thought about doing drills or any additional math facts practice beyond the math curriculum we're using (Math in Focus 2A/2B). Her biggest struggle is with word problems, so I'm hoping by implementing one (or more) of these ideas will help with that.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and ideas!