Menu

LLATL placement test question

brynndolyn

My DS8 will be in 3rd grade this fall. I gave him the Orange placement test and he did it perfectly except that he didn't get the spelling correct (it was adding -ing and -ed to words, which in all fairness we haven't learned yet).

So I gave him the Purple test, just for fun. He completed the reading portion correctly and completed 8 of the 12 skills correctly. The teachers portion of the test says that if he got 8 out of 12 correct then he can start with Purple.

Purple says it is for 5th grade. He will be in 3rd grade. I don't want him to be bored but then again I don't want it to be too difficult for him either. He is a very good reader, he is reading constantly, so I'm not worried about that being too difficult for him. I'm more worried about grammar and spelling which we maybe haven't covered yet.

Any thoughts on what we should do? I guess we can always start at purple and then go back to Orange if it's too difficult? Or would it be better to just start in Orange?

Have you looked at the sample lessons? The length of the dictation passages would be a consideration . There is also a lot of research activities in LLATL, does your son have the maturity for looking up stuff in a dictionary/thesaurus/encyclopedia and copying the entries? The orange level in particular has a lot of research lessons. Even if the book choices for the level seem easy for him, it's more about the activities done in the lessons. There are only a few book studies per level, so he can read other, more challenging books on the side. If he reads a lot, then I'd expect him to get the reading comprehension activities. So I'd place him by where he's at with grammar, spelling and writing.

Edited by vaquitita