Menu

You're not going to believe it! Remember the thread--What if your neighbor followed

"What if your neighbor followed this advice?" It was about having your neighbors over to convince them to vote Democratic, using Obama's talking points. I think OP said that Barack Obama told folks to do this during one of his campaign speeches.

My neighbors just did this! Chat over dessert and coffee!

So, naturally the chat is alot about the economy and the current situation with Congress. One of the women that I'm not really acquainted with asked a few questions and by the 3rd question or so, I realized that she was asking these leading questions for our host/hostess to answer. It was like it was staged. Too funny.

What was interesting was that a couple of the neighbors work in fields where they know a good bit about the economy, and by the end of the "chat," the host was agreeing that he really preferred McCain's stance on a couple key areas (healthcare was one) but he was still voting for Obama.

Just thought I'd share my surreal moment. Has it happened to anyone else, IRL?

"What if your neighbor followed this advice?" It was about having your neighbors over to convince them to vote Democratic, using Obama's talking points. I think OP said that Barack Obama told folks to do this during one of his campaign speeches.

So, naturally the chat is alot about the economy and the current situation with Congress. One of the women that I'm not really acquainted with asked a few questions and by the 3rd question or so, I realized that she was asking these leading questions for our host/hostess to answer. It was like it was staged. Too funny.

What was interesting was that a couple of the neighbors work in fields where they know a good bit about the economy, and by the end of the "chat," the host was agreeing that he really preferred McCain's stance on a couple key areas (healthcare was one) but he was still voting for Obama.

No, but I will say that the French debates the other night really have me looking at Dion in a different light.

not a planned neighborhood chat, but dh talks often with a friend at work who is very excited about Obama..but in their many conversations has admitted he agrees with conservatives on economics and most policy, yet he is still planning to vote for Obama. We don't get it. But I am glad they can discuss it civilly and still remain friends.

I just avoid talking politics mostly.:D

:lurk5:

that's very interesting, the experience you had..I didn't really think people would do what he suggested, interested to see if others have the same experience...

:rolleyes: I heard Obama say this in one of his speeches to get in the faces and argue with friends and neighbors..... to be his ambassadors.... and I thought, "gee thanks for the warning." :glare: Of course I also thought ambassadors were diplomatic and wouldn't argue but hey........

Hearing him say that only solidified my stance! If Obama can't sell his agenda to me on the TV and computer what makes him think obnoxious neighbors or acquaintances arguing with me will. If he does not have the charisma to seal the deal what makes him think john and jane doe on the street have the finesse to....... I decided that I would just ignore folks who were dumb enough to try and pull that shtick with me.

Edited by RebeccaC

that's very interesting, the experience you had..I didn't really think people would do what he suggested, interested to see if others have the same experience...

That's what was so funny. I'd never heard of it til someone brought it up here and a week later there it is. We're in a "battleground" state, though, so maybe the neighbors felt it was worth doing. I would guess our neighborhood is a mix for the voting.

:rolleyes: I heard Obama say this in one of his speeches to get in the faces and argue with friends and neighbors..... to be his ambassadors.... and I thought, "gee thanks for the warning." :glare: Of course I also thought ambassadors were diplomatic and wouldn't argue but hey........

Hearing him say that only solidified my stance! If Obama can't sell his agenda to me on the TV and computer what makes him think obnoxious neighbors or acquaintances arguing with me will. If he does not have the charisma to seal the deal what makes him think john and jane doe on the street have the finesse to....... I decided that I would just ignore folks who were dumb enough to try and pull that shtick with me.

Was it you that did the original post? I didn't do a search. It was a very civil discussion really, though when I first walked in I wondered if it would get shrill. They even had some fliers available.

Was it you that did the original post? I didn't do a search. It was a very civil discussion really, though when I first walked in I wondered if it would get shrill. They even had some fliers available.

No, I don't think I even saw the original thread :001_smile: I just remember watching the speech and hearing him say that and thinking that it was a bit desperate and what I posted above. I live in Obama country and just about every neighbor has at least one if not more of his signs in their yard. Of course all the neighbors know I am not an Obama fan and so none have tried to persuade me :D and I have not tried to persuade them for many reasons which I will not share here :lol: but the chief being that it would be pointless, and it my view, for what it is worth, that it is a cult of personality that these folks are swept up in imho :001_huh: The kids signing YouTube video sure did confirm that train of thought for me.....

No, I don't think I even saw the original thread :001_smile: I just remember watching the speech and hearing him say that and thinking that it was a bit desperate and what I posted above. I live in Obama country and just about every neighbor has at least one if not more of his signs in their yard. Of course all the neighbors know I am not an Obama fan and so none have tried to persuade me :D and I have not tried to persuade them for many reasons which I will not share here :lol: but the chief being that it would be pointless, and it my view, for what it is worth, that it is a cult of personality that these folks are swept up in imho :001_huh: The kids signing YouTube video sure did confirm that train of thought for me.....

You know, one of the neighbors said that too. She's got a son who is fairly conservative. He told her that even though his friends are somewhat conservative, they don't care, they think Obama is pretty charming, so they're voting for him, even though they don't agree with him. :confused:

I am such a rockhead (have been one my entire life) that if someone "got in my face" I would do the opposite of their views just to irritate them lol.

Me to. :lol: sometimes it's fun to annoy people just for kicks.;) Hey, they started it right.

That's Great that a discussion like that happened!

Wouldn't it be great if things like that became a regular feature in neighborhoods to discuss a variety of subjects?

Now if I'd just get organized and try to initiate it for our neighborhood :(

That's Great that a discussion like that happened!

Wouldn't it be great if things like that became a regular feature in neighborhoods to discuss a variety of subjects?

Now if I'd just get organized and try to initiate it for our neighborhood :(

I finally looked up the original thread if it'll link here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57965

It turned out fine, but it would've been truly great if it hadn't been so calculated to proselytize anyone who was an un-barack-believer, kwim? I was convinced of the premeditation when one of the kids came in and asked if everyone had been brainwashed yet?

I don't think they knew where anyone stood really, which was partly why it worked out so well. That and the host/hostess had fairly open minds. The discussion was lively and informed.

We've had different groups and friends over the years that would just get together occasionally to discuss current events and it was wonderful -- stimulating, challenging, thought-provoking.

:001_smile:

and it my view, for what it is worth, that it is a cult of personality that these folks are swept up in imho :001_huh: The kids signing YouTube video sure did confirm that train of thought for me.....

Wow. Ok. That's an amazing assumption, and certainly a convenient way to characterize those who disagree with you.

I typed a whole lot more, but my jaw started seizing up from dropping so low, so I erased it in hopes that TMJ won't set in out of my own sheer bad karma coming back to attack my face.

You know, one of the neighbors said that too. She's got a son who is fairly conservative. He told her that even though his friends are somewhat conservative, they don't care, they think Obama is pretty charming, so they're voting for him, even though they don't agree with him. :confused:

I think it might just balance out those who agree *with* him but won't vote *for* him for one reason and another. :glare:

Sheesh, I didn't even watch it! Shame on me! DH did though. I was probably somewhere on the internet checking out a certain homeschooling forum...

We're bad Canadians. We taped the US VP debate and were watching that. For whatever reason, I guess the channel we were taping only had 1 hour of VP debate and then it switched over to the Canadian debate.

So, here we are watching Palin and Biden duke it out over economic reform, the energy crisis and war in the middle east - than BAM we're watching the Canadian leaders argue about the importance of having a climate controlled vehicle to transport art from one museum to another...

Seriously, Canada really amazes me sometimes.