Menu

Singpore Math 6B then Jacobs Math (algebra)?

Pour in

Does anyone have any experience using Singapore Math 6B? If so, what did you use next?  

I was planning to do Jacob's Math  (algebra) with Dr. Callahan because I have heard such great things.   But when my dd did the 'are you ready' test on Dr. Callahan's site she missed more than I'm comfortable with.  

So now I'm revisiting the idea of a formal 'pre' algebra course. Singapore has hit on many of the concepts but I'm guessing not all (we've used their u.s. standards editions since first grade).  Does anyone have a recommendation for what we should use prior to Dr. Callahan's Jacobs Math?  Thanks so much!

I used Dolciani PreAlgebra then Dolciani Algebra, the early 1960s and 1970s versions that start with set theory. We are moving to Saxon for geometry for my daughter because her 3D skills are not good enough for the rigor of Dolciani, but my son should be capable of the Dolciani Geometry.

• Like 1

My daughter finished Singapore 6b, but would not have been ready for a full algebra course. Just looking at those giant textbooks was shocking having come from Singapore's small friendly colorful format. I think she was 10 though, so if you have an older kid, it might not be an issue. Instead we moved to galore park Syrwl maths 2 and 3. Those books were a pretty gentle move towards algebra, though I liked Singapore better. If it had been available at the time, I would have done the math mammoth pre-algebra. I think MM and Singapore go nicely together.

• Like 1