Menu

How does Dual Enrollment work in your district/state/area?

I have read a number of posts here that make me think that in some places have much more robust dual enrollment programs that we do.  I'm curious about the differences from state to state.  Can you answer the following questions about your district? My answers are in green

1) What state are you in?

Maryland

2) Do dual enrollment students pay tuition in your area?

Yes, they pay the same tuition as college students, but don't get to apply for financial aid.  

3) Can dual enrollment students count their courses towards their HS diploma?

Public school students can't, not even as elective credits.  Home school students can do what they like.

4) How many credits can a dual enrollment student take?

2 classes or 7 credits, I think whichever is less.  So you can't take 2 4 credit sciences, and if you take a 1 credit class and a 3 credit class, you can't take anything else.

5) Are there limits on the DE classes a student can take?

Nothing considered remedial, so you can't take a class until you've passed the "college ready" assessment in that area.

Am I right that other areas do it differently?

New Mexico

At the community college, no.  They do have to pay fees (but they aren't much) and purchase textbooks, but tuition is covered.  If they wish to take DE courses at the big state university, though, then they do pay tuition.

Yes

I'm not aware of any limits, but I also can't say with 100% certainty that there aren't any.  When we enrolled my daughter at our local community college, no one mentioned any limits.  I didn't think to ask.

I'm in Delaware. There is no state-wide dual enrollment program.

University of Delaware:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ non-matriculated students pay full tuition per credit hour

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ they can take any class as long as they fulfill any prereqs or pass a placement test (math, foreign languages)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ they can take up to 7 credits, so a regular class plus a lab science or a lower/mid-level language class (my dd was told she could take up to 8 since she has shown she can succeed)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ there are four classes offered online per semester for high school students at approximately half tuition (bio, general psych, nutrition?, something businessy) I don't know anyone, homeschooled or public/private schooled, who has taken one of these classes

Del Tech (the community college w multiple campuses)---I don't know any homeschooler who takes academic classes there (there's a growing group studying various trades, which I think is an awesome opportunity for those kids)

Wilmington University (multiple campuses throughout the state)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ high school homeschoolers pay a reduced rate

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ they can take one class a semester, I think, but only junior and senior years

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ the classes tend to not be that challenging (I attended a meeting for parents where the director told me that dd, if she were allowed to take the English class early, would have about 2 hours of outside class work a week, total!)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ they're trying to start a "dual enrollment on high school campuses" program in lieu of APs

What state are you in?

Illinois

Yes, they pay the same tuition as college students. They cannot apply for financial aid until age 17.  

Yes

I don't think there is any limit.

Nothing high school level - so no Algebra/Pre-Calculus and no remedial English, etc. Professors reserve the right to decline students under age 16 even if they pass the exams to dual enroll.

ETA: I answered for the several Community Colleges around me; I have not looked into state 4-year colleges, and I do not know for other areas of the state.

Edited by beckyjo

Florida

No, but homeschoolers do have to purchase textbooks for their DE classes. Public school students do not.

Yes

Not sure what the rule is now. When dd was DE'd it was either 2 classes/semester or you could go full time DE and get an AA at the same time as high school graduation. I think there are in-between options now, it's been a couple of years.

Again, not sure now, but a couple of years ago, no.

Yes--love our DE options in FL!

I have read a number of posts here that make me think that in some places have much more robust dual enrollment programs that we do.  I'm curious about the differences from state to state.  Can you answer the following questions about your district? My answers are in green

MN

No.  However it's only for juniors and seniors.   I may pay cash to let my 10th grader get his feet wet with one class next year.  IF I can find a CC that will allow it.  He has decent ACT scores too, but they're super fussy.  I tried to get him in a class for 9th grade and it wasn't happening (and he had decent ACT scores last year too).

Yes

Depends on the college.  They can accept you as a full time or part time student depending on your application and limit credits accordingly.  You need some standardize test scores/transcript.  They usually require them to be higher than for incoming freshmen.

Nothing considered remedial, so you can't take a class until you've passed the "college ready" assessment in that area.  *I suspect this is true for us in general too though it may vary by college.*

Ohio

Homeschooled students pay full price.  PS students have their tuition/books 100% paid for.  There is limited funding for homeschoolers.  I've heard some homeschooled seniors had four credits paid for.  

Yes

I think public school students have a limit - maybe 30 credits/year?  No limit for homeschool students.

Nothing considered remedial, so you can't take a class until you've passed the "college ready" assessment in that area.

southwestern US

2a) Do dual enrollment students pay tuition in your area?

Yes -- full price

However: there is a program in place for homeschool or public school students starting at age 16 (up through age 20 -- so, free even if starting the program after high school graduation), that some specific vocational courses are free through the special program (i.e., cosmetology, nursing assistant, police and fire, welding, construction trades, etc.)

ADDING: 

2b) Cost of dual enrollment in your area?

Running $100/unit right now -- our state public universities run over 3 times that amount

Yes (public, private, charter, or homeschool).

Unlimited. A high school student could earn a certificate or an Associate's degree while still in high school.

As long as you've passed the Math and Reading/Writing entrance assessments at the level required as a pre-requisite for the class, no limit.

ADDING

6.) Minimum age and/or grade limitation on dual enrollment?

For homeschoolers: age 16, but can take classes as young as age 14 with a few extra parent paperwork hoops jumped. No grade limitation.

7.) Do your school's dual enrollment credits transfer to a 4-year university?

Yes. Specific credits also are part of the transfer agreement policy with all of the state universities (and many private ones)  so if you stick with courses on that special transfer credit list, you can take up to 60 credits that transfer to a 4-year university AND count towards the general ed. requirements of a 4-year degree -- in essence reducing time at the university required for a Bachelor's degree to just 2 years.

Edited by Lori D.

Arizona

certain programs are free but ONLY for some public schools - each county is different

very limited course selection for the free stuff  - pretty weak overall stuff like "College Algebra"

otherwise tuition will now be $78.50 per credit hour for the 2016-17 school year plus fees at the local CC

yes (otherwise it is not DE)

not sure

not when you pay but at that point you are a part-time college student as well

Edited by MarkT

yes (otherwise it is not DE)

You would think, but our application says "Dual Enrollment", the students are called Dual Enrollment students, but they can't double count the credits, even as electives.

Washington

No they do pay books/fees 

yes 

15hrs at a time

No

I have read a number of posts here that make me think that in some places have much more robust dual enrollment programs that we do.  I'm curious about the differences from state to state.  Can you answer the following questions about your district?

California

No, not if they are dual enrolled; they earn high school credit, not college credit. Some c.c. allow under-age students to enroll as regular college students, in which case they pay tuition and earn college credit.

California c.c. are complicated, lol. There's no statewide policy on *so* many things.

Well, yes, but they don't need to. There are no requirements for private school students (which includes homeschoolers) to be graduated, so we really didn't care whether some outside agency said our dc earned  high school credit. At the c.c. my dds attended, dual-enrolled students earned high school credit instead of college credit; when they were graduated from high school, they did not have to repeat the classes they had already taken, but they had to take other classes equal in credits.

Two classes per semester; I don't think the number of credits matters. OTOH, this may vary. See my note above. :-)

I don't know. We didn't do dual enrollment; we did "student under 18 not enrolled in high school," with no limits on anything as dds were regular college students.

Yes!

PA

Every college/school district has their own arrangement, and funding comes from different sources (or doesn't come at all.)  As of right now, my kids would not only pay full price, they'd pay a premium for being "out of county" even though our campus is in our county. @@  Our local university is full price.

Yes

They want to keep it at 2/semester, 11th and 12th graders only.  I get the impression that there MIGHT be some wiggle room for homeschoolers, assuming they can "prove" themselves.

Not to my knowledge.

Georgia

No and beginning last year they do not even pay for textbooks

Yes

Unlimited

Only core classes. No upper level classes allowed. For example, my dd is an accounting major. She could not take accounting 1 or 2 until she was considered a college student.

• Like 1

Florida

No, and we don't pay for books either if we want to borrow them, but I think we are the only county in the state with this policy.

Yes

As many as they like. My dd will graduate high school next month with 115 credit hours. However, many colleges will only transfer 45-60 credit hours.

Some. In our area: no physical education classes, remedial classes, completely online classes, or university classes that are limited access.

Texas

No, tuition is free. You do pay fees (they're low, about $50 for the first credit and a couple of bucks for each additional credit which varies by department) and books (some are outrageously expensive, like $350 for the Calc text and multisemester website access--ouch!).  

Yes, they even offer DE classes in the local high school.

It doesn't specify in their rules, but a friend whose son graduated a couple of years ago said the limit she was told was 3 classes that are paid for. You can take more if you pay tuition.

You have to pass "college ready" assessment in that area. An 1050 on the SAT with at least 550 in Math or CR is required although their are other tests available.

New York

If we are talking specifically about homeschoolers, the DE stuff varies by district.  Districts don't have to allow homeschoolers to take advantage of any of this stuff so some districts allow it and some do not.

They pay a small fee, but there is a list of courses to pick from.  You can't take just whatever course you want.  The stuff on the list is in large part just courses they don't offer.  In many cases the courses are offered via the Internet or TV at the school.  In that case a homeschooler wouldn't be allowed to access them because they'd have to go to the high school and part time school attendance is not allowed. 

I don't know for sure, but looking at the list of courses available this would probably not matter much.  I assume, for example, they would allow a student to count Chinese towards their HS diploma, but a foreign language is not required for the diploma so it's not going to substitute for a requirement anyway.  They'd probably allow it to count for free electives.  I don't see why not. 

No clue. 

No clue. 

Yes.  Not only does this vary by state, this varies by district.  I don't live in a cooperative district so I have to pay for the courses myself.  Our local CC is not too spendy though.  The courses are about $500 for three credits.  That also includes a bus pass which really adds to the value of it for us. 

Meanwhile one district not too far away does allow homeschoolers to take courses and they have several that can be taken at the college.  That CC just requires homeschoolers to get a signature from someone in the district.  I have met people who got the signature no problem. 

Michigan

We have dc take one class at the local public school (band for this dd) and then the school pays for dual enrollment courses. Not all schools are willing to do this, and it isn't mandated.

Yes. Homeschoolers can do whatever they want on their HS diploma, as there are no regulations about it.

As many as the college allows. My dc have taken anywhere from 1-4 courses. Dd is currently enrolled for 15 hours.

If the school is paying, there are some limits and guidelines. We haven't had any problems with them. The college requires the ACT or COMPASS test before enrolling in some courses.

Louisiana 

Yes, it varies from school to school. My dd is DE at the local university, and it is $100 for the first class, $300 for the second class, and $300 for the third class. There is an additional amount if you take an accompanying lab, but I'm not sure what it is. That is a huge discount. 

Yes. 

Up to 11 hours per semester in your junior and senior year, and you can also take classes the summer before junior and senior year. 

Not as such, but a lot classes do require that first take some of the gen ed, so no interesting English classes until English composition is done. Some classes, like film production, are off limits because you must be a declared major even if you are a full-time student. 

Again, I answered for the university where dd does her DE. The cost and number of classes varies at each school. 

California

No, just some minimum fee ($46, I think) plus textbooks

I just read on the website of our CC that they can't. UC, on the other hand, can count them towards a-g. I need to look more into it. ETA: just found on their website that while they grant only a college credit, it is up to the high school administration whether or not grant a HS credit. That was a relief :)

6 credits in fall and spring, 3 in winter and summer.

I have no idea

Edited by OlgaLA

I live in Northern Arizona aka middle of no where :)

The public schools can do a limited number of DE classes free.  Homeschoolers have to pay tuition.  However, the college where my children have done DE, has a scholarship for it.  It pays full tuition for 2 classes a semester.  But we have to pay for books.

Yes

unlimited at the college

for the scholarship, you have to use approved classes, but otherwise can do whatever you want as long as you qualify

Hawaii.  All of the community colleges are part of the University of Hawaii system.  Therefore classes transfer well into the UH campuses.  For example, Composition 1 at a CC will count as Composition 1 at UH.  Courses taken at a CC may or may not count towards specific degree requirements.

Public School students can participate in Running Start, a program approved jointly by the UH system and Hawaii DOE.  They need signatures from their counselors to participate.  Courses taken for a semester at CC are counted as 1 high school credit as well as the college credit.

Private School and homeschool students can enroll as Early Admission Students. The main distinction is that the home school is not compelled to award high school credit for the courses taken at a CC. 

Students pay the same tuition and fees as regular CC students.  CCs cost less than the 4 year UH campuses for state residents (as well as military stationed in Hawaii).  I think we pay around $130 per credit.

Yes, dependent on the Running Start agreement or on the assessment made by their home high school.

This depends on the campus and the level of the student.  The campus DSS attend does not seem to have a cap.  A campus a few miles the other direction limits students to one course per semester (however, their outreach counselor was willing to waive this limit when I explained that DS1 had already done a year at CC and had AP and ACT scores).  The campus with limits has a population that traditionally has had less rigorous high school options (this is changing as the population moves that direction); I think they want to make sure students doing Running Start are set up for success.

Only 100 level and above - so no remedial courses.  Students must take the Compass placement test and meet requirements for placement into courses.  Students are expected to take Composition 1 before moving on to other English courses.  Our outreach counselor said that individual instructors might waive the Comp 1 requirement, but that approval would need to be requested for each English course if Comp 1 wasn't taken.

Running Start and Early Admission are for 11-12 graders

Absolutely.  There isn't a completely identical system from one campus to another.

I tip my hat to the staff at the colleges.  We had very short notice that we were moving to HI.  I was in California, trying to figure out how to register DS for a semester that started 5 working days after we arrived on island.  Not only did they answer questions and send me the required forms by email, but the admissions officer called me a couple days later to make sure I had received all of the right paperwork.  They went above and beyond when we were on island too.  While DS was taking his placement tests, the admissions officer was helping me set up his accounts and even helped me plan out a public bus route for him.  Nearly all of his instructors have been very good - teaching the material and also expressing interest in their subject and also in their students.  I can't complain about the class size either.  There were around 5 students in the pre-calculus course and around 10 in calculus.  

I will add that UH Manoa offers a Summer Outreach College program, that allows students to take courses on the main UH campus.  This is for rising 11-12 graders (10-11 when they apply).  Students can register for any UH course (if they meet prerequisites) and there is a list of intro courses recommended for high schoolers.  Registration for the program and registration for the course has been drama free so far.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Pennsylvania - but obviously a different county than Carrie12345

Yes, they pay the same tuition as college students.  In our county, that's about 100/credit for county residents.

Yes, and they also get the college credit.

They limit students under 16 to 1 class / semester to start with, but if you prove yourself it can go up to as many as you like.  Students under 16 also have additional hoops to jump through - more paperwork, classes have to be approved by the dean, etc.  Age 16 and up, no limits and they can take anything they have the prerequisites for.

No

Texas 

I'm in TX too, but a different county. We've lived in two different counties with different policies in each one. 

No, tuition is free. You do pay fees (they're low, about $50 for the first credit and a couple of bucks for each additional credit which varies by department) and books (some are outrageously expensive, like $350 for the Calc text and multisemester website access--ouch!).  

In our county, dual credit classes are half price. So it varies by county. 

Yes, they even offer DE classes in the local high school.

I believe they just made a rule that the DE classes offered in the local schools have to be taught by a professor. I don't want to know what they were doing before. And, yes, we do count them towards their diploma.

It doesn't specify in their rules, but a friend whose son graduated a couple of years ago said the limit she was told was 3 classes that are paid for. You can take more if you pay tuition.

In our last county, the limit was 3. In this county, there doesn't seem to be a limit (friend's son is taking 4 classes). In last county, students were generally limited to one class the first time, and then could increase to three if their grade was good.

You have to pass "college ready" assessment in that area. An 1050 on the SAT with at least 550 in Math or CR is required although their are other tests available.

At our local CC, students can sign up for any class. At our local 4-year university, outside of the core classes, you must have dean of the school approval. It is a small school, so that hasn't been a problem. My oldest is now taking a senior level PoliSci class without issues.

• Like 1

California

No, just some minimum fee ($46, I think) plus textbooks

I just read on the website of our CC that they can't. UC, on the other hand, can count them towards a-g. I need to look more into it. ETA: just found on their website that while they grant only a college credit, it is up to the high school administration whether or not grant a HS credit. That was a relief :)

6 credits in fall and spring, 3 in winter and summer.

I have no idea

You know that your dc can transfer those c.c. credits to UC, and it won't matter whether or not there were high school courses that were a-g?

• Like 1

Illinois

Yes, they pay the same tuition as college students, but don't get to apply for financial aid as long as they are high school students.   

Yes. Homeschoolers and public schoolers can use these courses toward their graduation requirements.  However, whether or not they can be used toward college credit depends on the institution they are applying to.  Our state flagship university will not allow any course used for high school credit to be used toward college credit, even if the course is part of an approved transfer agreement.  Most private universities didn't care.   

It depends on where you are.  At the CC near us, most students can start out taking only one class.  After that, they can take as many as they like, up to full-time. 

Nothing that would be considered remedial. 

You know that your dc can transfer those c.c. credits to UC, and it won't matter whether or not there were high school courses that were a-g?

I knew they were transferable, but I wanted to make sure I can put them on her HS transcript, too. She wouldn't have any science there otherwise. It turned out not to be a problem though.

I knew they were transferable, but I wanted to make sure I can put them on her HS transcript, too. She wouldn't have any science there otherwise. It turned out not to be a problem though.

If your dc transfers to UC or CalState, she will not need a high school diploma. As a transfer student, any high school credits are irrelevant.

Iowa

*IF* your homeschool student is dual enrolled in the PUBLIC school system/homeschool assistance program THEN your child is entitled to the same classes the public high school student is - whether those are at the high school, OR if your child has exhibited proficiency via testing, THEN they are also eligible for college classes at the cc.  For example, child has shown proficiency in math beyond average high school classes then your child can take Alg. 3/Trig/Calc at the community college.  The school district covers BOTH the tuition and the books for this course.

Dual enrollment here means exactly that - dual enrollment/dual credit - credit both for high school and for college for public, private, or homeschooled students. 

Assuming proficiency, your child can take up to 23 credits per year.  However, also note that even if you paid for your child's credits, your child is STILL not allowed to take more than 23 credits per year as no high school student is allowed to take more than 23 college credits per year.

Yes there are limits.  For example, DS is taking College Algebra next semester - he had to have at least a 22 on the Math portion of the ACT.  To get into Comp I and Comp II he had to have either an ACT score or demonstrate proficiency on the Compass test.

Absolutely.

What state are you in?

Missouri

Yes, although the local CC just added a program where homeschooled DE students get reduced tuition for online classes. Public schools vary some offer free DE, some offer DE classes with reduced tuition and some pay full price. It is the ps district not the state giving these tuition breaks.

Yes, this is very popular in our local high schools with most kids heading to college graduating with around 30 credits.

There is no limit. However, we can only get reduced tuition for 2 classes per semester. They also won't let a student enroll in more than 2 classes the first semester, to make sure they are ready before they dive into more.

I don't think they can take remedial classes.

Yes. This is determined by the several factors, state funding, county or regional funding and public school district agreements with the colleges. There is nothing universal about it. Other people in other parts of my state won't even have the same answers as me.

I looked at AZ it holds up because the description is somewhat legalese (especially the finance part) as opposed to the simple posts here.

Curious if they got other states correct.

I looked at California. It was correct in that the rules set by the cc ds attended in CA mostly fell under what was described. But there was wide variety across the CC districts in our county as to enrolling high schoolers. How the legal requirements are implemented vary greatly. Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

These answers are to the best of my knowledge but I can't guarantee 100% accuracy 

My answers will be for 2 states the one we just left Indiana and where we live now Tennessee

Indiana

Tennessee 

If you're a HSer they pay the same tuition as college students, but don't get to apply for financial aid 

Public School students is free(for a few) or cheaper for others but if taken at CC or Uni then full price

Just checked my info.... there is a grant that pays for up to $1200 per year

Yes

Yes

HSer's can take whatever they want (even go FT I think, PSer are limited by their school)

I'm not sure but I think at least 10, seems maybe as many as they want if HSer's limited by PS rules for the rest

IDK for PS but no issues for HSers (they want you to be 16 but will let 15 year olds in who place on the tests) You CAN take remedial but you still have to pay

I don't think so.... but I haven't had time to check thatĂ¢â‚¬â€¹ Checked and they do allow remedial in fact it's encouraged for the CC's and tech schools to offer "preparatory"  classes.

yep

Just a note.... One of the reasons we moved to TN is to take advantage of the FREE CC after H.S. which is even available to HSer's.  It's going to save us about $30,000 in tuition over the CC's back in Indiana.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it and everyone for contributing.  I see one post already for Tennessee but am adding my experience with dual enrollment as well as I have more to add.

Tennessee

Yes, they pay the same tuition as college students.  However, the state does have a grant for students that defrays the cost up to $1200 for four dual enrollment courses.  It used to be a straight $300 per course for up to four courses but they've recently made it more complicated ($500 each for the first two courses, then $200 for the third course, and $0 for the fourth course).  Yeah, I don't know why. The total amount is the same if you take 4 courses.  A student can get $300 from the state for each dual enrollment course after the first four, however, this amount is then deducted from their Hope lottery scholarship amount once they are college students. The state money can only be used for up to 2 classes per semester.

Yes, IMHO, that's the whole point of dual enrollment, otherwise, it is concurrent enrollment.

The school may set a requirement  but the state does not.  My local CC does not limit the number of credits.  The state grant only contributes during junior and senior years, and up to 2 courses per semester. Dual enrollment students can take courses earlier and can take more courses per semester, but those would all be full self-pay.

The school can set this limit, the state does not. Our local CC limits by the usual qualifications that apply to college students too (pre-requisites, math score, etc).  The local CC also limits freshman English composition to senior year dual enrollment students.  Other courses are not limited by age/grade.

Edited by Pegasus

Georgia

No and beginning last year they do not even pay for textbooks

Yes

Unlimited

Only core classes. No upper level classes allowed. For example, my dd is an accounting major. She could not take accounting 1 or 2 until she was considered a college student.

Another GA resident here!  I just found out some great news about this, too.  I thought the funds came from the lottery money like the HOPE scholarship does, and I found out that it actually comes from state funds. I'm so glad because I didn't want to use it if it was from the lottery. 

Virginia

Yes, they pay the same tuition as college students, but don't get to apply for financial aid.  

Yes, both Public School students and Homeschool students can count their courses towards their HS diploma, however PS students may have limitations as to which courses they can take.

2 classes or 7 credits, I think whichever is less -- per marking session.  Fall/Spring/Summer

DoDEA Schools (Naples, Italy)

Yes, both Public School students and Homeschool students can count their courses towards their HS diploma, however PS students may have limitations as to which courses they can take.

There are no limits, other than availability.

There are no limits, other than availability.