Menu

Writing in 4th grade - would this work?

UCF612

I'm very unsure what to do for writing for 4th grade. I've debated and tossed around a million ideas. Initially I wanted to do IEW medieval theme book. Then I thought just full on IEW SICC A. Then in debated continuing with Writing and Rhetoric Narrative. Now I'm leaning towards doing some alternating schedule of Treasured Conversations and The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons. I had intended to finish out this year with the latter but we did something else. So I own it and would like to incorporate it for creative writing. But I thought teaming it with TC could make a fuller year. Good idea? Not enough? Too much? Or should I go with one of my original ideas. My son enjoys writing to some extent and does creative writing by choice but we have not worked much at all on educational/business type writing.

Edited by UCF612

TC by itself would be a good full year. Since you have a child who enjoys creative writing, adding that on may not be too much. I'm not familiar with the program you have for creative writing, but I think it would depend on the kid. I would plan to use both, but be prepared to drop the creative writing if it becomes too much.

My 10yo did TC followed by a year with an IEW theme based writing program. It was a good progression. Next year we plan to slowly start WWS.

• Like 1

Have you done IEW before?  My 2nd grader is working through Bible Heroes (IEW theme-based book for 2nd grade) right now. My daughter has always enjoyed writing her own things, but when it came time to write during our school time, we struggled. I've seen a lot of progress since we started using this program, so I'm planning on continuing with IEW. I'm also not a writer myself, so I've found that this curriculum has helped me teach her more effectively. 

For 3rd grade we'll finish Bible Heroes, then move into SWI-A.  For 4th grade we'll either do SICC-A or a theme-based book.  As of right now, I'm leaning towards a theme-based book and then SICC-A for 5th grade, but I've not decided on that yet.  If you haven't done any IEW before, then they recommend SWI-A anytime from 3rd-5th grade.  As I understand it, SWI-A or a Level A Theme based book is where to start.  They have this pathway on their website:

http://iew.com/node/3/shopping-resources/pathway

It's a little confusing at first, but once you get going it makes more sense.  If you're unsure about IEW and which path to take, their customer service is awesome, so I'm sure they could answer all of your questions.  

• Like 1