Menu

Looking for secular science program that touches on evolution

plain jane

What kind of program? BFSU is what we're planning on using... Science is one of those things that in the earlier grades I think everyone does very differently... But in terms of a curriculum that builds understanding and skill BFSU is what we have chosen... But frankly? For us right now we just go outside, and go to the library... For my science inclined kids they have enough natural interest in it to just follow their lead...

I don't know what age group you are looking for but two books I have read to my children come to mind and you can expand as needed (my kids are 4 and 5, but these books are a good foundation for slightly older elementary students as well). These are just picture books, but the first one comes with ideas for extra reading and a useful website :)

1. Our family tree: an evolution story

The author and some teachers have a list of activities to do based on that book on her website here:

http://lisawestbergpeters.com/blog2/readers-activities/our-family-tree-an-evolution-story/

Edit to add: I don't understand the picture at the top of the page on the author's webpage which is unrelated to the book I mention as she has written other books. The information is useful.

2. For younger kids: Grandmother Fish

I've seen this book and read it to my kids. Maybe we will buy it if it becomes available before m kids are too old for it. This one is directed a younger kids than the book above.

http://www.amazon.com/Grandmother-Fish-childs-first-Evolution/dp/0986288403/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by 908874
  • Like 1

We use BFSU, but I've also read through Usborne's Prehistoric World.

It's basically a kids encyclopedia tracking evolution from the formation of the Earth until prehistoric man.

You can find it cheap used on Amazon - it's also a part of Usborne's Encyclopedia of World History compilation.