Menu

Math games co-op class

momtolgd

We are considering a math games class for our co-op for next year for grades 4-6. We will meet for 18 weeks over the school year for one hour each week. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources to set this up?

Thanks!

Michelle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm going to be helping plan a 5th grade math games class at our co-op. I won't meet with the teacher until summer, but I can tell you what I will be suggesting.

When I've taught math games classes in the past (it's actually been a few years), I usually focus on a specific skill, such as addition games, each class period. I begin with basic operations before moving into working with fractions and such. Geometry tends to be more challenging to find a game, but hands on projects to teach skills can be fun in the classroom, such as building shapes with sugar cubes to figure volume. 

I usually plan a lot of dice and card games. Games like the Shut the Box are good. Pig is a lot of fun. 

Resources like these are helpful.

Ronit Bird's free resources

Mega-Fun Card Game Math

What's Your Angle?

Mega Fun Fractions