Menu

Quick question: If you've used Saxon Math 3, 5/4 or 6/5...

Leah_S

We use it four days a week and do what we call "fun" math one day a week.  If you want to finish it in one school year you have to remember to add in the test days and investigations so I'm looking at the 5/4 book which has 120 lessons and  it also has 12 investigations and 23 tests so altogether that's 155 days of math to get through the book.  

We don't pay attention as to whether we finish it in a certain time frame so we just do our four days of math a week during our regular school year and often do some math work during the summer months.  

Editing to add:  The Math 3 book is different than 5/4 and 6/5.  They count the test days as lesson days so the tests are already included in that 140 lesson number.  We split the test days into two because there is sometimes a short lesson but you wouldn't have to do that if you don't want to.

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 1

I didn't use any of the primary levels, but yes, we did Math 54 and above daily. On a day when there's a test, we didn't do the daily lesson.

I didn't have to count days, so we just worked through a book until we finished, no matter how many days that took.

The DVD "syllabus" I have for 5/4 (compass) suggests 4 lessons a week, then a test for the 5th day (and sometimes an investigation the 5th day, too). So supposedly it can be done in 30 weeks, but I don't do tests the same day as investigations. I go year round and would rather just take longer... I like my daughter to be in high spirits upon finishing the test, especially since it always feels easy compared to the work for that week.

Edited by tm919

Someone did an extensive review of Math 54 a while back, but I can't remember who. I'm pretty sure they calculated the numbers of lessons/investigations/tests etc too.

Does anyone else remember this. Can you find a link? I had wanted to read it again.