Menu

Anyone know about schools in China?

3 ladybugs

My sister (14) is currently on a class trip in China. There is a Facebook group where I am following posts from the group that are including photos. One of the latest posts has a photo of giant grid paper (maybe 2-3 inch square) and the caption of the photo says it is 1st grade calligraphy class. 

That can't be right right? They don't start calligraphy in the first grade! I can't imagine my 7 year old even remotely being able to do that! Even with the large grid paper! That kind of calligraphy requires a lot of dexterity! 

So was this caption a joke or do they really start that early?

Well, not the kind of calligraphy you see with our letters....their calligraphy is how to write Chinese characters. That's what they have instead of an alphabet, so I would expect it to start in 1st grade, with a brush not a pen.

This demo is for American middle school students, but I could see it for 1st grade handwriting. Not the complicated words, but just learning the basic strokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM4BuhTFxho

Edited by Love_to_Read
  • Like 1

Yeah I finally got a hold of my father (our father) and he said that they start that early! I just can't believe my son doing this at his age. Unbelievable! Makes me feel like I am slacking on my son's education! LOL

I just assumed that they would start with a pen or pencil then go on to the fancy stuff. 

Pencil from 2~3 years old while in nursery is common in chinese or bilingual nursery schools in Asia. I had four characters to do copywork on everyday for preK and K. Calligraphy and brush painting were done during Art class but not surprising for 1st graders.

• Like 1