Menu

Recommendations for History - K / 3rd

I am seeking history recommendations for the fall.  My children will be 6 and 8 (kindergarten and 3rd).  We've never really stuck with a formal history curriculum yet.  We've read several of the "Who Was ..." books, and we've studied some American history, but again, nothing formal.  I would prefer to use a literature rich curriculum.  My kids love to be read to!  They don't respond well to the Usborne type of books, but rather true literature.  I have decided on math and LA choices, so I don't want them to a part of the curriculum.  Also, I want to combine my children for Bible, History and Science.

Does anyone have actual experience with Winter Promise?  American Story 1 looks appealing, but I have read some bad reviews - mostly customer service related.  I haven't found reviews of families who have successfully used these materials.  I love the book choices, and I can always order most of the books from Amazon.   - ???

Sonlight looks appealing, but they use a lot of Usborne books.  I'm not sure this would be a good choice.  I love their literature choices, but it doesn't seem like they connect to the history.  It appears that the history for the lower cores is mainly Usborne books.  Am I correct?

Any other ideas? 

I think my 6 and coming 9 year old are going to do Paths to Exploration by Geography Matters. It does include LA, but I imagine you could cut it out. It combines science, history, LA, and you can purchase the Bible add on, as well as Geography. It looks really fun--even my ds9 who hates all school thought it was worth a try! There is a lower level add on for the younger kids and a lot of literature, but not nearly as overwhelming as Sonlight looked to me (my son is dyslexic so it would require me read a LOT more than I had time for), and I've always drooled over Sonlight. I can't decide if I should use it for my oldest (dd10) or if we should continue on a 4-year cycle. I think this might be a little below her reading level but not sure.

The science portion doesn't get great reviews, but for the ages my youngers are, I doubt it will matter in the long run. :)

• Like 1

I saw Paths of Exploration, but I was hesitant to consider it since it includes LA.  I also thought it wouldn't be a good fit for my youngest.  She just turned 6, but she has learning delays.  She still hasn't learned her letters and numbers.  (That's a whole other story.  We're working on it!) ;-)  ... maybe I should investigate the lower level add on.

• Like 1

Wayfarers is new but maybe you could see?

We love K12 and I do combine all mine for that. Most history lessons have a story that either the child can read alone or use the audio to have it read to them. Many lessons suggest other books to go along. It follows pretty darn close SOTW so I think you could easily use those book lists, too. Map work is included along with ideas for hands-on.

Grades 1-4 follow a 4-year cycle. Kinder is a geography overview.

The science is simple elementary level. As my kids have memorized Magic SchoolBus, this does not bother me a bit.

I tried every other way to get these subjects done and keep the kids interest but this is the only way it has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

I saw Paths of Exploration, but I was hesitant to consider it since it includes LA. I also thought it wouldn't be a good fit for my youngest. She just turned 6, but she has learning delays. She still hasn't learned her letters and numbers. (That's a whole other story. We're working on it!) ;-) ... maybe I should investigate the lower level add on.

Well if she has delays, I wouldn't worry too much about what you're giving her for history. Reading aloud to both kids is beneficial and she can listen while your older child reads aloud too! And, it's going to be hard to find any program for a child who doesn't know numbers or letters yet, kwim?

What about Story of the World?

Story of the World is an option to consider, but I would prefer a planned out schedule. I like the schedule that Sonlight has (for example). It basically says on week 1 day 1 do this, this and this. It has all of the decisions done for me.

I know some might think this is lazy, but there are weeks where we are at lots of Doctor appointments and we are moving twice this year. I need something to make our days as simple as possible or they won't get done.

I think I'm leaning more toward Sonlight Core B. I noticed that several of the book choices have changed to ones that I consider more kid friendly.

I'm planning on doing SOTW Volume 1 next year with my soon-to-be 1st and 3rd graders. I'm like you in that I prefer everything planned out for me, so I went searching around (Pinterest mostly), and there are lots of resources available for SOTW. Here's a lesson plan that someone has put together:

https://onlypassionatecuriosity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/story-of-the-world-lesson-plans.docx

I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak to how great it is, but I know there are many more of these out there. I'm not sure if you're interested in lapbooking, but those are available too. Something like this:

http://brendajohnston.blogspot.com/2013/01/story-of-world-volume-2-lapbook.html

I've heard good stuff about Sonlight History, although I've only used their Science, but I just wanted to let you know there are lessons plans out there for SOTW.