Menu

Art

My kids are really into art these days. They've been spending hours drawing, sculpting, painting, and drawing landscapes with pastels. I would like to make art a more regular part of our school schedule and provide a curriculum that can teach them some basics. The problem is that I am terrible at art and know nothing about it. :-P I'd like to find a curriculum to help me out. I'd prefer something on video rather than just a book. I'm also not looking for scissors and glue type craft projects. I'd like something that teaches the fundamentals of shape, color, line, drawing, painting, and sculpting in different mediums that the kids can watch and do themselves with minimal help from me. DVDs are good, even something good quality on YouTube. I just have no idea where to look. My kids are 6, 8, 10, and almost 12.

We use Artistic Pursuits and love it. I'm not very artsy myself, and it includes enough that I know what to tell them to do and how to explain it. It also includes art history, which I like. I use the same book for all my elementary age kids (PreK - 6th) and then my 7th and 8th graders get books of their own to do. No videos though.

• Like 1

We really like Harmony Fine Arts.  It combines picture study, composer study, and art.  You can use Artistic Pursuits with it as well, but there are other options.  

This is another good option:  http://www.hodgepodge.me/

We haven't actually done the lessons yet, but it looks very do-able and there are tons of free tutorials on the blog.

Edited by Holly

Isn't HomeArt Studio more arts and crafts?

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

It really isn't.  There is a lot of meat there, but it's done in a very gentle way with projects that make the child feel accomplished.  Lessons cover space, color mixing, print making, texture, lines etc.  Before HAS we used Artistic pursuits, the first book in the K-3 series, and it got to be so monotonous.  They use the same materials way, way, way too often and every lesson was "hey, look at this masterpiece.  Ok, now you do it."  My kids were always discouraged because of course their pictures looked nothing like the one shown.  With HAS they make a pleasing project that they are proud of.  :)

• Like 1

It really isn't. There is a lot of meat there, but it's done in a very gentle way with projects that make the child feel accomplished. Lessons cover space, color mixing, print making, texture, lines etc. Before HAS we used Artistic pursuits, the first book in the K-3 series, and it got to be so monotonous. They use the same materials way, way, way too often and every lesson was "hey, look at this masterpiece. Ok, now you do it." My kids were always discouraged because of course their pictures looked nothing like the one shown. With HAS they make a pleasing project that they are proud of. :)

Thank you! I couldn't put it into words. I didn't expect to have so much meat to it, but have been pleasantly surprised by it. My kids beg for more and I love what they are learning/doing.

Eta.. We did Artistic Pursuits also... Or we tried to. It was boring and we didn't make it very far.

Edited by FawnsFunnyFarm
  • Like 1