Menu

Good-enough-ffirmations?

SKL

Anyone else having one of those days when you need reassurance that you're not the absolute worst mom / worker / friend in the world?

I can't call these "affirmations" because they aren't all positive, but hey, at least ...

• My kids are alive (as far as I know).  I've kept 2 kids, 2 birds, and 2 fish (and myself) all alive for a couple months and counting.
  • There is some non-moldy food in the fridge / cupboard.
  • They can't fire me or kick me out because I'm an owner.
  • The reason I need to clean is that someone trusted me (and my kids) enough to have their kid over.
  • At least I'm losing my memory of all the nasty "helpful" things Person has said to me.  Maybe that will make me nicer about it.
  • The reason I'm overwhelmed is because we have so many opportunities.
  • I have a stash of coffee.  And toilet paper.

What's propping you guys up?  ;)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 10

I just took down my nativity scene, lol. I only have one left at home, my 16yo dd, and I have never been a stellar parent of teens.

The fact that my teen puts on make-up better than any other person I know must mean she can teach herself skills that are important to her, right?

• Like 3

I was going to have the kids take the tree down, thinking it would be a good project for them.  We just never got around to making it happen.  Life is busy.

We used to leave our tree up all year, but then it was in a corner you couldn't see from the door.  :P

• Like 1

I think you're doing great. 

We got the Christmas decor put away in good time, but there is a whole bunch of random stuff cluttering up my living room.  I thought having a "crafts table" in constant use was over, but now one of my kids needs a dedicated table for her art classes.  And then there's that backpack of welding gear from the class my boy just finished. No clue where to put it.  The backpack is camo pattern, though, so if anyone comes over, they won't even see it, right?

And hey, coffee and toilet paper are high priorities. 

• Like 1

I did this this morning!

although where I live drives me crazy in So many ways, it is stunningly beautiful.

Our house is provided by the church and is bigger than any we would have ever afforded on a nice piece of land.

My kids are healthy. We can afford food my Dh can eat.

I can homeschool and we were able to afford fantastic online options when we needed them .

Ds has really matured this year.

I have supportive friends.

We have found affordable extra curriculars for the kids.

The kids are happy.

Well you are doing better than me - we had no toilet paper yesterday morning!  So we held it and then used the bathroom at co-op late morning and stopped by the store for TP on our way home.

I have somewhat of a meal ready for dinner tonight (while the past few days of dinner have been Trader Joe's soups),

I have more energy today than I did yesterday,

the laundry is done though the clothes are still in the dryer,

an old friend (who I had not heard from in 15 years) emailed me out of the blue to see how I was doing,

my DS says that he wants to eat a salad with carrots and strawberries with dinner,

my DH has not made a stinging and sarcastic remark about the messy state of our house yet today (he also is usually sarcastic about his contribution to the said state).

Edited by mathnerd

What started all this was a discussion over how I need to remove my Christmas tree from the foyer before visitors come over today.  :p

FWIW, DH and I used to live in a house with a formal living room that had pocket doors.  We kept our breakables in there, as well as our Christmas tree, so the cats wouldn't get to them.  After Christmas we closed those pocket doors, intending to deal with the Christmas tree after New Years.  We had no need to enter the room for anything else and were exceedingly busy.  6 months later we were moving and opened the room to pack stuff up.  Our Christmas tree was still sort of green, sitting there abandoned and forgotten.  Oops.  Guess we should have taken that down at some point.  :tongue_smilie:

Things that really prop me up:

- My dc still give me hugs and let me kiss them good-night.

- I can see most of my kitchen counter!

- It's spring and most of the snow has melted

- Our bikes are out of storage and the outdoor tennis courts are ready to play on

- only a couple months until summer vacation!!!!!  :hurray:

My kid probably won't graduate still wearing nappies, right?

But he has the best smile ever, so it's impossible to stay too mad...

Doing a halfway decent job is a step in the right direction I'm sure, one day they'll be able to do something properly.

• Like 1