Menu

Educational CDs/Carschooling

IfIOnly

Who knew you could get a lot of mileage out of educational CDs/info put to music? We've discovered geography, biology, earth science, anatomy, physics, government and presidents, and grammar. Of course there's SOTW and MOH which are great (although not music CDs). Would love to know if anything else is out there. Thanks in advance.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=Lyrical+science

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2

They Might Be Giants has Here Comes Science, Here Come The ABCs, and Here Come the 123s.  There are also old records on Kiddie Record Weekly that have all sorts of educational songs.

(And as I write this, I have Jiminy Cricket stuck singing E-N-C-Y-C-L-O-P-E-D-I-A in my head.  LOL)

• Like 1

Lyrical life science!

Yes! I discovered one on the Classical Conversations website, and that's what finally got me looking into these things. Verita has geography ones they recommend, as well as LLS cds.

The recommended ages on these appear to be 6th grade and up. Does that seem accurate or would they be appropriate for younger children as well?

The songs are fine for anyone. The text and workbooks are for older kids.

Classical Kids are frequent in my car for Music Appreciation: some of my kids love these and the others (mainly the older ones) just tolerate them.  :) I think of them as a gentle, living book-oriented introduction to many of the major composers. I also really like the compilation CDs they've put together for each composer. 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Music/17&category=Classical+Kids/5618

I linked to RR for the overview of everything, but it seems like everything is less expensive on Amazon (and can be downloaded as mp3 / sampled).

• Like 2

These are great! I saw a different company has a phonics one (on rainbow resource) and that sounds like just what we need!

My kids learned their basic phonics from Leap Frog dvds. They're a wonderful homeschool resource.

The songs are fine for anyone. The text and workbooks are for older kids.

I haven't used these, but I just looked at their website, and they recommend them for ages 9-15. They say that interested 3rd-4th graders can do most of the workbook, but recommend leaving the essay questions for middle school. You can look at sample chapters.

I haven't used these, but I just looked at their website, and they recommend them for ages 9-15. They say that interested 3rd-4th graders can do most of the workbook, but recommend leaving the essay questions for middle school. You can look at sample chapters.

I have the whole set for the first two.

I have the whole set for the first two.

My reply was meant for lorisuewho, just to add another data point, not to disagree with you. I was puzzled by RR listing as grades 6+ for the textbook, and grades 4+ for the workbook, so I wanted to see what the author said:

http://www.lyricallearning.com/frequently-asked-questions/

While we're at it, at that site there's also a link to download some updated material for the first volume.

Yes! I discovered one on the Classical Conversations website, and that's what finally got me looking into these things. Verita has geography ones they recommend, as well as LLS cds.

The Veritas Press recommended geography cd is free digitally with an Amazon Prime subscription.

• Like 5