Menu

Would you approach the financial aid department?

shanvan

I was considering the possibility of asking one of the two universities Ds is considering if there is any possibility of receiving a little more financial aid.  However, Ds and I both feel odd doing so.

The financial aid package he was offered includes a work study (as mentioned in another post).  Including that award plus the university's presidential scholarship, plus state and federal aid, the financial aid is roughly $1,500 short of the cost of tuition (with all fees included).  He is going to have to work in order to afford the $1500 (on top of the work study amount).  We are in no position to help beyond a little here and there toward transportation and food.  He will live at home.

He still needs to come up with book costs and some transportation funds.   Ds and I think we would be asking too much if we asked for a little more in grants or scholarships instead of work study b/c the amount he would need to pay is so small compared with the cost of tuition.  

Ds wants to avoid loans, so the financial aid I mentioned includes no loans even though they were listed as options.  He can afford it for the first 2 years b/c of outside scholarships.  The remaining 2 years, I have told him he may need to include loans in order to pay for increased tuition.  If he can keep his grades up, there are grants he can apply for through the college that will cover the cost of the tuition increase.  He will have to keep his grades up anyway in order to keep the Presidential Scholarship. 

What do you think? Would you ask for more aid or ask if the work study could possibly be replaced with a grant?

He is comparing this university to one that has provided him with full tuition (no loans).  He can easily cover the cost of books and the transportation costs.  

I would ask. We get need based aid, and between loans, grants, and scholarships I have my total cost of attendance covered (that's the sticker price including money for room and board). Ds also gets need based aid and his cost of attendance is covered at a lower rate, not sure exactly how it's figured out and our tuition is low overall. They know he lives at home and he still got offered enough to cover some living expenses after tuition and books. 

It might depend upon your FAFSA EFC as well. 

I would ask. We get need based aid, and between loans, grants, and scholarships I have my total cost of attendance covered (that's the sticker price including money for room and board). Ds also gets need based aid and his cost of attendance is covered at a lower rate, not sure exactly how it's figured out and our tuition is low overall. They know he lives at home and he still got offered enough to cover some living expenses after tuition and books. 

It might depend upon your FAFSA EFC as well. 

Thank you!   After looking at the numbers again, I think we should ask.  I don't want working to interfere with his ability to study and participate in clubs and activities on campus.  I thought the hard part would be over after acceptance letters.  Boy was I wrong!

I would also revisit your opposition to loans (if the appeal doesn't work out). You seem to believe that this school is the better opportunity, and you're only asking for 1,500 which is a pretty small student loan. Unless he is majoring in something with zero earning potential, borrowing a reasonable amount each year can be a worthwhile investment in his future.

• Like 2

What is the actual monetary difference? Is it $1,500 per year, or does the second school not require work study? 

If it's $1,500 per year, then it doesn't hurt to very politely ask, but that is really such a minimal amount in the context of total cost. As he has the first two years covered, it's really a minimal amount. 

Thank you for all of the responses.  I sat Ds down today and MADE him examine the differences in the curriculum.  I told him I was not going to go through a prolonged discussion with financial aid if he didn't think he would end up choosing the more expensive university.  I believe he has made a decision, though I will wait until after his last visit to the school on Monday to post on the decisions thread.

He wants to go to the State University which we think is not going to cost him a penny b/c of a grant they offer plus his scholarship (waiting on final numbers for confirmation).  It is closer, commute is easier, he will not have to worry about earning a certain amount to pay tuition, they offer a significant scholarship for study abroad to honors students, and, most importantly, he likes the curriculum a hundred times more (his words).  Less pressure to meet a certain GPA b/c his scholarship is not huge.  If he lost it, he could still afford the tuition.

I am so relieved!  Anyway, I do not think we need to ask the other university for more money!  

​We are all going to give the decision a few days to be sure, but I think he's made his choice.

• Like 6