Menu

Favorite math for K

LEK

I am checking out curricula options for miss 4 who starts K next year. She has ASD and SPD so can be a bit of an out of the box thinker.

I used MUS for my 2 older girls in K and then onto a combo of MUS and MM for 1-3. I have MUS and MM but I can see those options will be a complete disaster with this particular child.

I also have miquon however this does not cover K and I feel it is a bit too advanced at this stage for her.

It seems that a lot of math curricula start at 1st grade level. What are people using for K?

She does a lot of manipulative work which will form the majority of her math time and instruction next year but she also needs to work on numeral recognition and learning how equations can be expressed on paper etc, I feel a worksheet/book is better for this than manipulatives. Also, she is asking for a math book like her sisters.

What would you recommend? What are the best K math books out there?

I do not want a program with all the bells and whistles, we can do all that extra stuff ourselves, I just need a program that covers the basics and we will add manipulative work and games. We are really only looking for math worksheets I think so are there any free or cheap books that may fit our needs?

For just that you could check out math picture books from the library. There are tons for numeral recognition and basic mathematical symbols.

There are also tons of free worksheets on the internet. Or if you don't want to spend the time scouring the net, you could get any old numbers workbook. Target often has dry erase ones.

To prepare for MEP the only book I introduced was Anno's Math Games.  It's a non-consumable.  Your library might even have a copy.  It encourages all the pre-math skills of things like sorting, graphing, measuring...and does it in a fun way for kids.  We spend about 6 months pulling it out sporadically until we'd gone through it twice.

Then we introduced MEP 1 this year, which has writing, tracing numbers, etc. and bought a set of number tiles to build equations with.  It's black and white, but mine loved it much more than the Mathematical Reasoning we tried to introduce.  That bombed quite hard.

If you don't want to use Miquon now, MEP 1 would be too hard. Unless she has language difficulties, I wouldn't bother with MEP R.

She does a lot of manipulative work which will form the majority of her math time and instruction next year but she also needs to work on numeral recognition and learning how equations can be expressed on paper etc, I feel a worksheet/book is better for this than manipulatives. Also, she is asking for a math book like her sisters.

I'd strongly recommend CSMP K. This level doesn't have worksheets, but you could start it with her now. If you did, I think it would put you in a good place to work on your goals the way you want to work on them when she starts K. It provides wonderful foundation work for out of the box kids. It's deceptively simple so don't be put off by all the dots and arrows. 

(I use CSMP as my dd's main program, add Miquon worksheets for a more traditional approach and MEP for puzzles. I think my dd was able to start MEP1 when she was about half way through CSMP K. Other people's mileage may vary there.)