Menu

Help us with an AKC name for our pup "Rusty"

SweetandSimple

We have a new Golden Retriever pup that we've named "Rusty." Now we're trying to think of his official AKC name, but are not quite sure what to choose. We think it would be fun to have the "Rusty" tie in with the longer name.

So far we like "Feelin a Bit Rusty" or "Traces of Iron Oxide."

But then they sound sort of silly if I think about it too much. Any other ideas from the hive?

I'm a bit rusty (pun intended); what's the AKC's limit on characters these days? IIRC mom's longish kennel name and the sire's longish kennel name left us with only three characters for Kip's actual name.

Pure Country Golden's Rusty would probably be your best bet to avoid offending the sire's owner, but I love "Traces of Iron Oxide" on general principle. ;)

I doubt if Pure Country Golden's Iron Oxide would fit, but what do I know; I haven't had a dog in something like 35 years now.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

"Pure Country Golden" is the kennel name of the side;you could use that... Pure Country Golden's Rusty.

I'm a bit rusty (pun intended); what's the AKC's limit on characters these days? IIRC mom's longish kennel name and the sire's longish kennel name left us with only three characters for Kip's actual name.

Pure Country Golden's Rusty would probably be your best bet to avoid offending the sire's owner, but I love "Traces of Iron Oxide" on general principle. ;)

I doubt if Pure Country Golden's Iron Oxide would fit, but what do I know; I haven't had a dog in something like 35 years now.

There is a limit of 50 spaces total. :001_smile:

There is a box on the registration papers that says "Permission to Use an AKC Registered Kennel Name" with a place for the breeder's signature. It is unsigned because our breeder doesn't use a kennel name.

Even though our pup's father was a "Pure Country Golden's", he came from a different state, and that isn't the name of the breeder/kennel that produced our pup. So I am pretty sure that we are not supposed to use that kennel name as part of our dog's name.

Thanks for all of the help and ideas!

Hmm, inspired by The Wizard of Oz:

(The) Tinman

Tinman Gets a Heart

I like this idea! I've been thinking about it a bit...

From the movie: 

Dorothy: Goodbye, Tinman. Oh, don't cry! You'll rust so dreadfully. Here's your oil can.

Tin Woodsman: Now I know I've got a heart, 'cause it's breaking...

Maybe  "Goodbye, Tinman"

or

Tin Woodsman: "And I was standing over there, rusting for the longest time."

Perhaps "Tinman Rusting for the Longest Time"

Thanks for the fun idea!

• Like 1

Well, having spent many hours of my adult life cleaning red Georgia clay out of white baseball pants, and knowing that a nasty chemical called "Iron Out" is one's only hope, "rust" makes me think first of red dirt.  There are a couple of related country songs if you're into country music at all:  Red Dirt Road and Dirt Road Anthem come to mind.  They both sound better with a kennel name, though.  You could probably use your own last name, i.e., "Smith's Red Dirt Road," if "Smith" isn't anyone else's registered kennel name.

• Like 1

I like this idea! I've been thinking about it a bit...

From the movie: 

Dorothy: Goodbye, Tinman. Oh, don't cry! You'll rust so dreadfully. Here's your oil can.

Tin Woodsman: Now I know I've got a heart, 'cause it's breaking...

Maybe  "Goodbye, Tinman"

or

Tin Woodsman: "And I was standing over there, rusting for the longest time."

Perhaps "Tinman Rusting for the Longest Time"

Thanks for the fun idea!

I think "I Know I've Got a Heart" would make a great name.

• Like 1