Menu

LLATL Blue - do you need the readers?

brynndolyn

I'm looking into switching all my kids to this program. Basically I need to save time (mine) and this looks like a great way to do it.

I was going to buy the Blue set to start with my 5yo and see how it goes before buying for the older ones. I know we may go through slowly, I'll be working with her more than I would with the older ones just because of her age, etc.

My question is - are the readers necessary? She's already reading very well. But I wasn't sure if the lessons reference the material that she would be reading in those books or not. I think they'll be easy for her but I don't mind buying them if they are necessary. Then again I also don't want to waste money! Anyone who has done this program have any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I do think the readers are necessary although it's been a while since I used the blue book.

But if your 5 year old is reading well I'm wondering whether it would worth considering the red book instead. You can find the placement test for the red book here. 

https://www.commonsensepress.com/red.htm

The blue book is nice but it starts by assuming your child can't read. It is also quite time consuming for the parent. If my child was already reading I would keep working on those basic skills until she was ready for the red book. (JMO)

• Like 1

I do think the readers are necessary although it's been a while since I used the blue book.

But if your 5 year old is reading well I'm wondering whether it would worth considering the red book instead. You can find the placement test for the red book here.

https://www.commonsensepress.com/red.htm

The blue book is nice but it starts by assuming your child can't read. It is also quite time consuming for the parent. If my child was already reading I would keep working on those basic skills until she was ready for the red book. (JMO)

Thank you thank you thank you! She just did the test for the Red books and only missed one word on the whole list. So we are just skipping Blue. Thanks very much for the advice.
  • Like 1