Menu

If you do online classes and then experience technical problems, what do you do? Go to library?

I'd probably go to the school library if you live nearby.  If not then yeah probably the public library.  That would not be ideal around here though.

We have several computers so if one craps out that's not an issue.  We sometimes lose power, but it's never for too long.  So the only other crazy thing I can imagine happening would be some Internet connection thing.  We have more than one option in terms of providers so if the one I use now didn't fix it quickly enough I'd go elsewhere and they'd get me up and running pretty quickly.

I am somewhat lucky though because my husband can fix many computer issues.  If it were just me?  Forget it.  I'd have to probably pay for someone to come help me.

I'd probably go to the school library if you live nearby.  

You couldn't do that in my area, only students are allowed in the library. 

Internet problem equals an excuse to go to Starbucks. 

Computer problem means a visit to the library. 

• Like 2

You couldn't do that in my area, only students are allowed in the library. 

Internet problem equals an excuse to go to Starbucks. 

Computer problem means a visit to the library. 

If you are taking an on-line class, doesn't that make you a student?

If you pay all the same fees, here you do, that seems unfair if you can't once in awhile use the school's resources. 

Problem with our public library is that there are so many people who go there to use the computers it's hard to get one.  And then there is a time limit. 

I forgot about Starbucks.  Lots of restaurants have free wifi.

If you are taking an on-line class, doesn't that make you a student?

If you pay all the same fees, here you do, that seems unfair if you can't once in awhile use the school's resources. 

Problem with our public library is that there are so many people who go there to use the computers it's hard to get one.  And then there is a time limit. 

I forgot about Starbucks.  Lots of restaurants have free wifi.

If you are taking an on-line class through the school system, then yes. I'm still not sure how that would play out in reality, even for full-time online students, because you wouldn't have an ID for that school. At any rate, I was assuming she meant any old online course, like Thinkwell or WTM Academy. 

Our public libraries are usually okay during the school day. The time limit here is an hour, which would generally let you complete one class - and, if no one was waiting, they would likely let you stay on if you explained. 

Yep, you're golden at coffee houses and restaurants around here, as long as you remember headphones! 

If you are taking an on-line class through the school system, then yes. I'm still not sure how that would play out in reality, even for full-time online students, because you wouldn't have an ID for that school. At any rate, I was assuming she meant any old online course, like Thinkwell or WTM Academy. 

Our public libraries are usually okay during the school day. The time limit here is an hour, which would generally let you complete one class - and, if no one was waiting, they would likely let you stay on if you explained. 

Yep, you're golden at coffee houses and restaurants around here, as long as you remember headphones! 

Ah ok.  Well thinking of the local CC here they do issue an ID and all that.  I doubt it is possible to do most of their programs completely on-line though because their on-line offerings are very limited.

With Thinkwell that wouldn't be a problem.  They give you plenty of time (you can also buy additional time if needed) and they don't issue grades or even care if you complete the course.  That's all on you.  (I'm assuming.  Unless they also offer other types of more official on-line courses.)

Try this out ahead of time, trust me.

We've hauled to Starbucks because it's the closest, but it's loud and their wi-fi is relatively weak. The Subway next door is better, but they don't open until mid-morning. The local CC has poor wi-fi. When I was an adjunct there, we went to the adjunct office because they have a bank of computers that are usually free. But I don't work there any more.

The best wi-fi? The hospital cafeteria and the grocery store Starbucks.

Most providers do indeed do archives and have policies where you're excused if you have technical problems.

• Like 2

We have had to do a quick re-adjustment on the other computer to get it ready for a class when the main computer went down hard.

We've considered the public library. No Starbucks or equivalent here.

Friend houses are the last minute backup.

Switch computers or go to somewhere where there is free wi-fi.  When the internet in the entire area goes down during the NLE and your child has about 5 minutes to go through the entire exam you go to Tully's (similar chain to Starbucks in Japan) and drown your sorrows in a cup of coffee and a piece of cake.

My area has strong signals for Comcast Xfinity and AT&T wifi.

If my modem or router goes down, I can use Xfinity wifi using my comcast account.

If Comcast goes down, I can use AT&T wifi through my phone's AT&T account but we would just walk 10mins to Starbucks or Peets or library for wifi.

We have more laptops than humans and we have Kindles and iPads too. My boys are used to doing their online AoPS classes (all text) and Clover Creek Physics class at the library using laptops and headsets.

If both Comcast and AT&T are down, there is an area with free Google wifi less than 10 miles drive away.

If for some weird reason the whole region's wifi is down which so far never happened, and we are that close to deadline, we'll drive to SFO because the airport signal is great. But if the whole Silicon Valley area ever lose wifi, I'll just forward the news link to my kids teacher as explanation for missing the deadline :)

• Like 2

We have had trouble with this area since we have satellite and not cable.  Some providers work great for our situation:  Landry Academy, Potters School, Scholars Online.  However:  Veritas Press, Wilson Hill do not work for us and when we have had to take classes there we have ended up at the library.  Our library has been awesome because my kids take their laptops and we request a study room and so they get a quiet room with no distractions, etc. we make sure the classes coincide with the library hours just in case.  Check with the school you are planning to try I did a trial run with Memoria Press this year they were really helpful to see how it would go.  It is iffy, but in a pinch might work at home but we are planning on attending library those days anyway.  HTH, this was always SO frustrating!  We had to drop from VP because they were not willing to work with our situation.  If it is a one time thing fine, but not something that will be a potential problem throughout the year.  Good luck!

I'm thinking ahead for the next school year and wondering what we would do if problems occurred during the year.  What do you do?

We have done libraries and coffee shops and restaurants with free wireless.  We have done a lot of school on the road when moving or on vacation.  We usually do classes as recordings, but often submit homework and do quizzes in coffee shops and at restaurants.  One Chick-Fil-A let us hang out for a couple hours at a table near an outlet as the boys rotated through the computer to do a Latin quiz.  (It was after the lunch rush and the manager was really sweet about it.)

We have a hotel not far from us now.  When we have had unplanned internet outages or electrical failures, the kids have hurried over there to use the wireless in the lobby.  

We have had trouble with this area since we have satellite and not cable.  Some providers work great for our situation:  Landry Academy, Potters School, Scholars Online.  However:  Veritas Press, Wilson Hill do not work for us and when we have had to take classes there we have ended up at the library.  Our library has been awesome because my kids take their laptops and we request a study room and so they get a quiet room with no distractions, etc. we make sure the classes coincide with the library hours just in case.  Check with the school you are planning to try I did a trial run with Memoria Press this year they were really helpful to see how it would go.  It is iffy, but in a pinch might work at home but we are planning on attending library those days anyway.  HTH, this was always SO frustrating!  We had to drop from VP because they were not willing to work with our situation.  If it is a one time thing fine, but not something that will be a potential problem throughout the year.  Good luck!

Who is your provider?  We use a hotspot and the TPS system test didn't work for us yet.  We are changing carriers and getting a booster.  Hoping that will help.  Only satellite and hotspot are our options.  No dsl either.  :-/

Who is your provider?  We use a hotspot and the TPS system test didn't work for us yet.  We are changing carriers and getting a booster.  Hoping that will help.  Only satellite and hotspot are our options.  No dsl either.  :-/

DirectTV  Oh well, we have just did what we needed to make do but I am excited because next year we are only using providers that we do not have to worry about our connection.  I don't have to take them to the library 2 days a week.  Yeah!   :hurray:

I would definitely try it out ahead of time. We've been lucky and haven't had too many problems. Our library isn't a great choice because they have a limited number of study rooms, which are available on a first-come first-served basis. They are heavily used and there is no guarantee of getting one. If there were a problem once in a while, my kids could sit in and just listen to the class with a headset, but wouldn't be able to participate. My dd's Spanish class is the only one that would be a real problem because it requires heavy participation each week, including frequent oral reports, and there is little point in attending if you can't speak.

• Like 1

Our library isn't a great choice because they have a limited number of study rooms, which are available on a first-come first-served basis.

You should check to see if you can arrange a scheduled room.  Our library does, I was able to call in the summer and arrange a room for one day a week scheduled out for the whole school year.  They only allowed it once a week and since his class is in the morning we have lucked out getting a room as a walk in on the second day.  It really helps.  :-)

Do you have a smart phone? When we have an Internet issue, or I'm in the situation where we have to be in the car during class, I just turn on my iPhone's hotspot which allows the computer to use my iPhone's data plan to access the Internet. As long as you have a decent cell connection it will work fine.

There are also phone companies that offer the hotspot hardware on it's own and you just pay per hour when you need to use it. This might work great for an emergency basis. Dh used to have one of these before it was an option on the iPhone.

Say, "oh well," and hope we can watch a recorded version.

We're a good 40 minutes (door to door) from anywhere we could get free wifi.  If it's a Monday, or after 6pm the libraries are also closed.

We do have our MiFi (cellular), but it has a limited amount -- and streaming eats that up fast.  But, we could try, assuming it's a clear, sunny day and we're outside.

I've tried online streaming courses (live) the past two years, hoping it would get better.  It hasn't.  No more live-online courses for us until we get Fiber Optic Cable.  

That is us this year.  First time experience with online classes.  My dd had computer problems every week, only during class.  We finally bought her a used laptop, but then it had problems.  She is good now.  Took some $$ to get her in a good place with no tech issues.   DS had a new laptop, but it updates without asking....it's always during class.  And usually the last 5 minutes when going over assignments.  The older back up computer takes 15 min to start up! 

Yes, we have had to have kids watch recordings later.  We have tried to be present for every class.  Some days this is easier than others.   :lol:

Looking back, I should have just bought 2 new computers right away for this experience.  And now, our issues are always windows restarting due to updates.  I work on a mac, so i just smile and point to my mac  LOL  DS will then go watch video later in the day to catch up.  

And now, our issues are always windows restarting due to updates.

You can turn the automatically restart off. That is what we do for our boys Windows 10 laptops.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-choose-how-updates-are-installed

It is my kindle that auto restart and I haven't bother with finding how to turn that off since the kindle is for leisure.

• Like 1

You should check to see if you can arrange a scheduled room.  Our library does, I was able to call in the summer and arrange a room for one day a week scheduled out for the whole school year.  They only allowed it once a week and since his class is in the morning we have lucked out getting a room as a walk in on the second day.  It really helps.  :-)

You know, my husband did ask about that and he told me that they don't reserve them ahead of time, but I should double check and see if that's changed.  It's been a couple of years since he asked.