Menu

Don Quijote in Spanish (abridged)?

Brad S

I'm looking for an abridged version of Don Quijote in Spanish, something like the parts of Don Quijote recommended by SWB but in Spanish.  DS read a simplified graphic novel Don Quijote de la Macha by Oceano press in late elementary school (he laughed heartily reading about crazy Don Quijote), and a short excerpt in Andrade, Marcel (ed.) Classic Spanish Stories and Plays (in Spanish), which had nice, brief introductions and vocabulary footnotes.

But he could go deeper into this masterpiece of world literature.  It would be ideal to have some vocabulary footnotes along the way given how vocabulary has changed over the centuries.  DS is fluent in Spanish about at the level of an average Spanish or Latin American 9th grader now...if you've got a suggestion for something at a higher level, we could wait.  Thanks!

Edited by Brad S

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  It looks interesting -- and appealing for kids.  It doesn't, however, seem much longer than what my DS has already read in Andrade book after you take out the nice pictures and comprehension activities.  I'll probably go with this complete edition, and select parts; it's more than I need, but it looks to have nice marginal definitions for words that are no longer used, have changed meaning, or are otherwise difficult.  FYI, I also came across this Yale Open course; again, it's more than we need, and it's harder to select parts of a video course, but I watched the first lecture and IMO it's very good.  Thanks again.

• Like 2