Menu

FLL3/WWE3 vs Memoria Press LA

carriede

DS6 is just finishing up 1st grade, so I'm jumping ahead here, but...

I was given the workbook/cd set of Prima Latina and plan on using it with DS6 this fall for 2nd grade. I began studying the text and was struck by how much grammar was included in it. We used FLL1/WWE for LA this year and I plan on continuing the series for 2nd. FLL2 and Prima Latina will be a LOT of grammar!

So, I looked at MP's website and looked at their grammar program that goes along with their Latin program... it looks a lot like FLL! Then I looked at their writing program and thought it was interesting.

Now I'm confused. I have been concerned about the continual overlap between FLL and WWE, but it seems very much all or nothing with MP (if I use the Latin, then why not the complementary grammar? Why not add in classical composition? How about lit? Etc...).

I'm wondering which program I should go with. Latin will be a core subject in our homeschool, it it will be there no matter what.

Pros, cons, thoughts, comments? Do the grammar recitation workbooks (MP) have diagraming?

Thanks for humoring me!

Really, you can do either and be fine with FFL.  We did MP language arts last year along with FFL and that worked great.  I did eventually switch back to what we were using to grammar before (Rod and Staff) because my dd retained more with it than with EGR.  WWE would be fine preparation for Classical Composition, which doesn't start until 4th grade.  MP literature guides are also great preparation for their writing, though.  They include copy work and some short composition exercises.  

I think it just depends on which style and format you prefer.  If you are happy with the PHP materials, don't worry that they won't mesh well with MP Latin.  FWIW, Latin is a core subject for us as well, and I really appreciate how the grammar reinforces what we are learning in English, which also in its turn reinforces the concepts in Latin.  

• Like 3