Menu

Are there any other curriculum that have a Graphic Novel format

SarahW

So Crazypants prefers GN. Really loves them. He really loves BA as well, he takes the Guide books everywhere to read over and over. Recently I picked up Minimus, since we're in England and all, and he's really positive about it, mostly because of the comic strips.

So then I got wondering - are there any other curriculum that are GN-based or use a lot of comic strips? I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any...

I'm not talking about the Graphic Library and Graphic Classics or those types of books, got those and done those. I'm wondering about actual curriculum.

• Like 1

The good times travel agency books are good for history. There was a comic book science curriculum posted here awhile back. I can't remember the name, but it was from South Africa and aimed at roughly grades 3-6 iirc. Hopefully someone else can recall what it was.

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas guys. 

It's not quite what I'm thinking of though. I did remember the Physics Quest books, which is more what I'm thinking of - a graphic novel book that goes along with an integrated teaching or lesson plan.

Maybe there is nothing else. If the hive doesn't know, then it probably doesn't exist. :)

• Like 1

Mr. Q science has a student book that is similar to a graphic novel.

With the speech bubbles? Yes, actually we tried LS and ES (a while ago) and he did really like that part of it.

The upper level Mr. Q looks like something he would really enjoy right now - except for the fact that it isn't in hard copy. He's a "browser" when he reads, which makes reading something in pdf a no-go for him. And printing out the whole student book is pricey. Urgh.

With the speech bubbles? Yes, actually we tried LS and ES (a while ago) and he did really like that part of it.

The upper level Mr. Q looks like something he would really enjoy right now - except for the fact that it isn't in hard copy. He's a "browser" when he reads, which makes reading something in pdf a no-go for him. And printing out the whole student book is pricey. Urgh.

Did you read the student guide on an ipad? The formatting is perfect for that, and it's less tempting to just scroll through it. I'm really using PDFs that I've imported into iBooks.

A lot of people seem to use Chester Comix as their history spine when they do US history.

Thunderbolt is a full curriculum. I also thought of those Physics Quest books, but I have to say the gn portion is pretty lame. Short, meh.

In addition to the children's graphic novels, there's an increasing body of nonfiction gn that aren't part of churned up series like Max Axiom. So, things like Jay Hossler's evolution gn's, Neurocomic, etc. As well as the huge number of graphic memoirs, like John Lewis's March. I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but gn's continue to be a great supplemental text all the way through high school.

A lot of people seem to use Chester Comix as their history spine when they do US history.

We used the Chester Comix this year in addition to some other books for U.S. History and enjoyed them. To use them as a spine you would want to look at the teacher guides the author provides for free on his website. We did use some activities from these teacher's guides but since I was using other books as my spine I didn't spend a lot of time looking at them.