Menu

Still on the search for 4th grade Language Arts...

amyc78

Here is what I want, if anyone knows of an LA like this pleeeease let me know :)

-Workbook format (I'm fine if I have to print and bind myself)

-Mostly teaches to student (I am here to help but if he could get started with the lesson on his own that would be great)

-Includes reading, copywork, narration and dictation exercise from literature, poetry, hymns, Scripture.

-Some creative expression exercises like picture study, write a letter, etc

-Gentle but solid intro to grammar to prepare for CC Essentials

We have done Sonlight and Abeka in the past- Sonlight was enjoyable but little retention, Abeka was fine but boring.

I have been looking at Queen's Language Lessons (looks great but gets terrible reviews), First Language Lessons (love the simple and direct teaching of grammar but don't see much in the way of Charlotte Mason style copy work, narration and creative expression), English Lessons Through Literature (I love the look of this but it seems very teacher intensive) and Intermediate Language Lessons (I like this but the grammar instruction seems almost too gentle- like labeling sentences 'command' or 'asking'- why not use the actual grammar terms 'declarative' or 'interrogative'?).

I may have to mix and match a few things to get what I want...

Help!!! :)

I know some Moms use ELTL independently. As long as you can listen to the oral narrations, you would be pretty hands-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some Moms use ELTL independently. As long as you can listen to the oral narrations, you would be pretty hands-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'm looking at the workbook version of Level 3 and thinking that would be a good fit for my 4th grader. Do you read the literature as readalouds or does your child read independently? 

You might like Language Smarts E by Critical Thinking Company.  No copywork and such though, but workbook format, teaches to student, some creative expression, gentle but solid grammar.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/language-smarts-level-e.html

Writing with Ease or Queen's Picture Study books or a Reason for Handwriting would have copywork.  WWE would also have dictation and narration.

I have been using Growing with Grammar Level Four with my fourth grader this year and it has been PERFECT for grammar. I would say it meets your criteria for workbook format, teaches to the student (the student text is excellent), and a gentle intro to grammar. We dropped out of Essentials mid-year, but had we started with this the year before, I think we could have made it through. I am now planning to get Level 3 for my rising third grader next year and move DD into Level 5.

It does not include copywork or literature. When doing Essentials, you will get practice with narration through the IEW program. There is a section on writing from pictures in IEW. GWG has a lesson on writing a letter. We do copywork separately using scripture passages that I assign them and our CC memory work.