Menu

Happy, fun chapter book to read aloud?

lorisuewho

The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

Half Magic, Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle (Eager)

Ben and Me (Lawson)

Mr. Revere and I (Lawson)

The Rescuers -- and sequels (Sharp)

Pippi in the South Seas (Lindgren)

Mr. Popper's Penguins (Atwater)

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (MacDonald)

Rascal (North)

Owls in the Family (Mowat)

Henry Huggins series (McCleary)

Bromeliad trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, Wings (Pratchett)

Christmas Every Day (Howells)

Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien) -- one of these editions: ISBN 10: 0007663714 / ISBN 13: 9780007663712 / ISBN 10: 039559698X ISBN 13: 9780395596982

Edited by Lori D.

The Plant that Ate Dirty Socks by McArthur.

Now recently back in print! Or at least the later novels are. Oddly, I think the first one may still be OOP.

The Witches

Boy

I don't know if either of these classify as lighthearted. In The Witches, he stops a plot to destroy all the world's children, but he's permanently turned into a mouse, closing on the realization that he won't outlive his grandmother. He seems okay with this, but... well, it's not like he has any choice but to be okay with it, right?

As for Boy, Roald Dahl's childhood was interesting, certainly, but an awful lot of terrible things seem to have happened to him!

Edited by Tanaqui

One of the funniest books I read to my kids around that age was "Gretchen's Hill" by Jeannette Eyerly.  Now, I did read it to my daughters, and I don't know if it would be equally enjoyable for boys?  It does have boys in it though.  Also, it's an older book -- from the 1960's.

Now recently back in print! Or at least the later novels are. Oddly, I think the first one may still be OOP.

I don't know if either of these classify as lighthearted. In The Witches, he stops a plot to destroy all the world's children, but he's permanently turned into a mouse, closing on the realization that he won't outlive his grandmother. He seems okay with this, but... well, it's not like he has any choice but to be okay with it, right?

As for Boy, Roald Dahl's childhood was interesting, certainly, but an awful lot of terrible things seem to have happened to him!

Hmm, I think of them both as lighthearted - The Witches in part because the terrible things are so silly.  It isn't serious like a book where something realistic happens - a child or parent dies, people are sold into slavery, and so on.

As far as Boy, it is very much in the completed past to me, and as the narrator he seems very comfortable with it, and it is very funny.  There is not a sense of ongoing activity that might be bad or scary.  But I can see some kids might not like it.

The Moffats

The Saturdays

< snip >

Those are what I have sitting on my bedside table for when i finish <strikethrough> destroying my baby's innocence</strikethrough> reading my youngest a book about The Manhattan Project.