Menu

If you issued a diploma, can you tell me what you put for school name?

shanvan

We would like to order a diploma for Ds, but I am stuck on what to use for a homeschool name.  For the colleges I used (our last name) Homeschool.  Now I'm regretting that b/c I think it will look weird on the diploma.  BUT, his diploma should match the records we sent to the college, right?

Going back to check his transcript and the common app now so I can double check just what I used for a name.   

The school name on my son's diploma matched the school name on transcript.  I purposely chose a name that did not contain the word "homeschool".

If you would like to change the name on the transcript, you could make the change when you submit the required final transcript to the college at the end of this school year.

Meh.  The diploma is really a gift, right?  So it doesn't matter.  We had to name our school in CA waaaaay back when and gave it a name so we used that.  But I'm not sure it really matters that they match.  The colleges aren't going to ask to see his homeschool diploma and he could care less to compare it to his transcript.  I think you have free reign to do whatever you'd like.

We had a homeschool name for several years when my kids were little, but we dropped it by middle school.  During high school, I'd occasionally ask my kids if they wanted a name, but they didn't.  For my dd's diploma, she said she wanted HOMESCHOOL.  I was a bit leery of that, but she said she's proud of it and didn't want to come up with a fake name just to have a name.  So HOMESCHOOL DIPLOMA it is.

• Like 2

We went with "Homeschool High School Diploma", but we had never named our school, and at the time of graduation, we were all so proud of this 12-year achievement! However, now I do agree that it looks kind of goofy, and I do regret that that we went with "homeschool" in the "title". But… in the paths our DSs have taken after high school -- no one has asked to see the diploma, and I doubt they ever will, so it's very likely a moot point. ;)

One other thought: if you at all think your student might study at an overseas university, name your school and use an actual school-like name. MANY countries do not have homeschooling or support it, and a copy of the high school diploma IS required for entry into a foreign university -- having a non-standard name on it, or esp. the idea of "homeschool" or "home educated" will cause no end of trouble.

• Like 3

Our school name was Wakefield Academy. I did not use homeschool on the transcript or diploma. I did note that we followed (insert state statute code for homeschooling) on the transcript, so it was clear if anyone read it, it was a homeschool transcript. 

I did not put homeschool on the diploma because ds wants to travel and study abroad. There was some conversation that some countries might want to see an actual diploma. On the rare chance, a copy of the diploma is required, I left it off. In one country ds would consider studying, homeschooling is illegal, so I didn't want to create any roadblocks. It may never be an issue, but since we already had a non-homeschool name, I just went with that. 

• Like 6

Streetname Academy.

I bought fancy paper with embossed border at Staples and printed it myself.

I avoided the word Homeschool. My kid may need to show the diploma later (jobs, visa, whatever), and it cannot be expected the recipient is familiar with homeschooling.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Where do you get diplomas from? Do you just make one on nice paper?

Since I felt like *I* put in so much work towards DSs earning a diploma as the homeschool parent ;), it was important to me to have that sense of accomplishment through a nice diploma with gold seal and honors seal in a padded holder from Homeschool Diploma. :) Sometimes it's nice as a homeschooler to NOT do it yourself. ;)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I gave our school a name early on so my children could say the name if they wanted to avoid explaining homeschooling. I used that on transcript and diploma. I avoided the word homeschool on either for similar reasons, just in case they would prefer not to have to explain to anyone they have to show it to for work or further education. I asked our school system what would happen if someone called and asked if our children were in the system. The person I spoke to said the caller would be told that my children were "unenrolled" students of that system. When I asked what that meant, I was told the children were part of the district but not enrolled in the public school.

Nan

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few recommendations for HomeschoolDiploma.com. Tons of options for paper, typography, wording, embossing, covers, etc.

Yes.  We ordered one from here - it's gorgeous.  We put it in a frame. It looked nice on the table at her graduation party.   Our name is Titus Academy, so, no, no mention of homeschool in the name either but it wasn't by design, we just didn't.  

• Like 2

The one I ordered for Dd says "XYZ Homeschool Academy". I think I am going to order another one that simply says "XYZ High School Academy" and remove homeschool entirely.

DD does hope to travel and one day even work abroad- so the easier I can make that for her, the better.

• Like 1

Another homeschooldiploma.com user here.  Just FYI, for the picky ones among you, the capital H they use on the diplomas is very fancy, but it looks lower case.  I thought it looked odd on a friend's dd's diploma titled "Family Name Homeschool" and also on some samples which used "High School" in the title.  Using the name and then "Academy" or just "School" eliminates that problem. 

• Like 2

Ours is [Name of Extremely Minor Local Geographic Feature] Academy.  

I would prepare a copy of the transcript that has the name that you put on the diploma just in case your student ever needs to present both to the same entity.

• Like 2

Margaret, that,s fun, about the brand!

Like EKS, I just named our school [extremely minor local geological feature] School. I didn,t feel like I was good enough to rate "academy". : )

We used homeschooldiploma. I drew up a logo and they were great about helping me get it into the proper file format for their printers. Multiple phone calls and extra work on their part, all cheerfully and helpfully done without making me feel stupid. I took our modus operandi and turned it into a motto and someone here on the boards kindly worked with me to get it translated into Latin in such a way that it sounded pretty and carried the same implications as the English. This meant more to me than the logo because all of us, teacher and students, had lived by that daily for years. I had thought that the transcript was the important part and the diploma itself was just a silly bit of paper, a just in case you ever have to show it sort of thing, but having the geological feature and the motto on the diploma and having my father sign it (which told me that he considered them finished with high school) all turned their diplomas into something meaningful, at least to me, much more meaningful than my own high school diploma. It was a surprise lol.

Nan

• Like 2

Ours is [Name of Extremely Minor Local Geographic Feature] Academy.  

I would prepare a copy of the transcript that has the name that you put on the diploma just in case your student ever needs to present both to the same entity.

I was wondering what to do about that as the transcripts the colleges have just say "homeschool."

We've used "X River Academy" as a tongue-in-cheek title of a private blog.  The river has and certainly continues to be a part of ds's education.  I could use that for the diploma.  Will his university that he's chosen care if I change the final transcript?

We used ____ Avenue Home School.

Neither dh or I have ever had to show our diplomas or our high school transcripts since college graduation. I do hear of exceptions...I just didn't find it very likely, and thought my son would consider anything else pretentious-sounding. We did go with the wording that our school complied with state standards.  

Where do you get diplomas from? Do you just make one on nice paper?

Since I felt like *I* put in so much work towards DSs earning a diploma as the homeschool parent ;), it was important to me to have that sense of accomplishment through a nice diploma with gold seal and honors seal in a padded holder from Homeschool Diploma. :) Sometimes it's nice as a homeschooler to NOT do it yourself. ;)

We also used Homeschool Diploma with the padded holder. They do beautiful work, and we too felt that the quality of the diploma was commensurate with the work both parent and child put into an education. I printed announcements on my home computer, but ordered the diploma :-).

I'm letting my kids pick their high school name. 

Oldest went with "Historical Figure High School."

Her diploma will have the legal wording about being an approved home study program in our state along with the school name. Well, that was the plan, but she's not going to college in-state, so I may not bother, hmm. Guess I should figure it out, as she is one month away from graduation! 

I haven't done this yet but I had my son pick a name for our school when I pulled him out of PS. He chose [character from Arthurian Legend] Academy. (My vote was for Olorin - one of the names of Gandalf) What he chose has an academic ring and well... it's not any worse than some of the names of schools in our area LOL

Lastname School doesn't work for us as our kids don't share the same lastname. ;)

I am tempted to make tee shirts for the kids ;) and need to make student IDs at some point.

Edited by theelfqueen