Menu

Math lessons for a Living Education ? Any thoughts?

I was able to see a sample of the first 100 pages at the Cincinnati convention a couple of weeks ago. I ended up pre ordering level 1 for my soon to be kindergartner. We will be first time homeschoolers so I may not be the best judge. But I liked what I saw and the price was reasonable.

I would love to hear from people who used the previous versions.  

I have 5 levels from when they were free downloads (the used to publish with Queens, then made a business break with them, and while she re-tooled it for the publication it is NOW, she offered the whole thing as free downloads!). One of mine did the first grade book and keeps dabbling in the 2nd one....which I may let him do (for first grade) this coming year because I am shooting for a very gentle school year next year.

It's extremely gentle.

Gentle is the word. Also, sweet. It's cuddle-up-on-the-couch school for sure. There's a central story.

Unless she has added it in the new books (if you asked, I bet she would answer), you'll have to do extra things to practice mathematics.

It is not rigorous.

IMO, it is best suited to people who are drawn to "delayed academics" but who don't want to actually leave it all to chance. It's like JUST enough to where if your child had processing issues or something, you'd be able to find out. [not noticing such things is what a lot of ppl worry about when you delay formal academics.]

IIRC it is not secular.

Edited by OKBud

I downloaded them when they were free and looked over them and they looked like a nice gentle approach to math. I was actually going to start using them with my 4 yo but then realized they were somehow deleted or lost. I can't find them anywhere. I am disappointed since they appeared to be put together well.