Menu

I screwed up! Now what?

SereneHome

My oldest hasn't really had any Science or History and since he will be technically 3rd grade next year - I am completely freaking out!

I have tons of science curriculum and I have SOTW and History Odyssey - I just don't know what to do at this point and where to start?  Especially since I will now have 1st grader as well.

For science I have RSO Life, Earth and Space and Chemistry.  I have Mr Q Life.  I have RS4K - Chemistry, Biology, Physics

So, what do I do??  How do I catch him up???

• Like 1

He's only going into 3rd grade.  Don't panic.  He has years to learn about Science and History.  At this point it is really still more about exposure and generating an interest.  Find topics he is really interested in and feed those.  Include younger.  Do fun read alouds, field trips, explore DK books, do exploratory science experiments, act out favorite history scenes (building a fort so counts, just discuss what fort you are all constructing).  You'll be fine, just pick what looks engaging.

• Like 7

Well, philosophies differ, but I didn't do formal science with mine until 4th grade. They played outside, we looked at things in nature, and we checked out lots of science books from the library based on their interests. They were seriously addicted to The Magic School Bus and Bill Nye videos from the library all through elementary. When my oldest hit 4th grade, we used BJUP science to get a broader perspective and the younger one listened in. I didn't worry about including her until she was in 4th. We kept up the library books and videos based on their interests until 7th or so when they became largely independent in their studies.

In my state, we have to do annual testing from 1st grade on, and they always did beautifully. Both aced their college testing, and my older one is on a merit scholarship in college with a 4.0 GPA.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 6

LOL, he's a baby. Do you know how much history he'd be doing if he were enrolled in school? Probably nothing. Do you know how much science he'd be doing? Very little. He can't "catch up" because he's not behind!

So if you want my suggestion, pick a curriculum - you say you have tons already - and dive in. Start on the first grade level if it makes you happy. Or the third. The details just aren't that important.

Alternatively, just make a note to cover "something sciencey" and "something historical" every once in a while, based on your kids' interests and what you've been reading and so on. Undoubtedly he'll go over all this in some sort of real order in high school, and certainly in college, so I don't think it'll do him any harm if you jump around right now in elementary.

• Like 3

I think you're well within the bounds of a normal curriculum for a kid that age. Unless he's been begging for it and you said "no, no science!" you've done everything fine.

My kids get community learning, hands-on science at their great public schools. They do not do the scientific method in any level of detail until 4th. (To clarify: they do the scientific method but it's very procedural in 3rd and until then it's all fun.) Their cognitive development isn't there anyway. In the highly gifted (145+ IQ) classes they might do science at that level in 1st and 2nd.

So--PHEW! You didn't screw up. :party: Anything formally academic up to this point is probably just icing on the cake if that. For some kids it could even take away from reading in math which are more critical in the early years.

I'd start with some oral history books and hands-on science in 3rd and you'll do great.

I wouldn't even necessarily combine 1st and 3rd. I think the 3rd grader can do slightly more critical thinking about science and the 1st grader should be all hands-on. Build a parachute, try to make something with wheels roll. No writing, no "why", just experiential.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

I thought you said you screwed up!  LOL  My oldest (10) adored SOTW and my youngest, who will be going into third grade like your son, hated it the few times we tried to read from it or do activities.  I just ditched history for first grade to focus on things she did enjoy. This same child also disliked the science I had on hand from my oldest so we ditched that too. This year we've been reading books for history and for science we've been reading and watching science videos for fun. Occasionally we try our hand at some sort of science activity (Grandma was a high school science teacher and has lots of things she likes to do with the girls but they aren't really related to our studies and are more just random demonstrations).

Anyway, my third grade plan is to continue to read good books and watch cool science videos.

If you aren't against a little video time during school I would check out Crash Course Kids and SciShow Kids on youtube. The videos are about 5 minutes long and are kind of fun little dose of science. If he's interested in the concept, you could follow it up with some books from the library along the same lines and I think you could quite reasonably call that a curriculum. If you need something for a portfolio, how about a short narration and a drawing? I used to be panicked without a specific curriculum but I'm slowly relaxing and realizing that at this age, the people upthread are right...just generate interest.

• Like 3

You are fine. Really.

I would start them both on SOTW 1 either now or next year.

Choose the science you like best and do it together next year.

If the guilt is killing you right now, have them watch Cat in the Hat (my youngest 2 learned a TON from that show-seriously, they haven't watched for a couple of years and STILL tell me things they learned).

Meanwhile, take nature walks,observe the changes of spring (observations) have them describe what they see (oral narration), look under rocks,peel back the bark on dead trees, wonder what made the squiggles under the bark, count the rings on a stump, post a chart of birds from your area and see what you notice from your window. All these are easy and work on early science skills (inquiry, observation and recording (even if it's oral))

• Like 3

Start at the library.  Pick out a couple books that look interesting.  Maybe related to something that came up in some other context.  Read the books together.  Talk about them.  When you go back to the library next week, pick out a few more.  Maybe the same topics.  Maybe different ones.  You choose some.  Let the dc choose some.  It's ok to choose more than you need; you are creating a "mini library" in your home each week - it's ok if you don't get to all of them.  

Then seek out friends.  See if they want to go to a nature center together.  Talk a walk.  Look at stuff and talk about it.  Pick up a brochure or talk to the staff about whether they offer field trips.  Schedule one, and invite a few more friends if you need a minimum number of kids.  Get a couple books from the library about the field trip topic and read them before the trip.  Read a couple more after.  Was the trip about maple syrup?  Get a few books about trees.  Was it about deer?  Get a few books about deer, or mammals, or forests  Was it about spring flowers?  Get a few books about flowers, or seasons, or the water cycle (rain).  Read about a topic until you're bored with it, or until you want to learn about something else.  

When you read a couple books, talk about the main concepts in them, that are repeated in each book.  These are usually the basics of the topic.  If you have a dc who likes to get school-y, you could do a notebook page about a topic, or write something about the field trip, or get together some friends and give little presentations about topics of interest - snakes, or trees, or polar bears. 

Make this a continuing part of your regular family life.  You're good for science.  And you can do the same for history.  :-)

• Like 1

I thought you said you screwed up!  LOL  My oldest (10) adored SOTW and my youngest, who will be going into third grade like your son, hated it the few times we tried to read from it or do activities.  I just ditched history for first grade to focus on things she did enjoy. This same child also disliked the science I had on hand from my oldest so we ditched that too. This year we've been reading books for history and for science we've been reading and watching science videos for fun. Occasionally we try our hand at some sort of science activity (Grandma was a high school science teacher and has lots of things she likes to do with the girls but they aren't really related to our studies and are more just random demonstrations).

Anyway, my third grade plan is to continue to read good books and watch cool science videos.

If you aren't against a little video time during school I would check out Crash Course Kids and SciShow Kids on youtube. The videos are about 5 minutes long and are kind of fun little dose of science. If he's interested in the concept, you could follow it up with some books from the library along the same lines and I think you could quite reasonably call that a curriculum. If you need something for a portfolio, how about a short narration and a drawing? I used to be panicked without a specific curriculum but I'm slowly relaxing and realizing that at this age, the people upthread are right...just generate interest.

Thanks so much for the youtube suggestions! My older ones use Crash course and I didn't know there were ones for elementary. the Scishow looks awesome, too. My youngers will love this.
  • Like 2

I agree with the others. Just pick something from each subject and do it. For example, I would read sotw ancient history to all three kids simultaneously. They can color while you read a chapter/section at a time. Check out other relevant books from the library. I would also pick RSO life and prepare worksheets for all 3 children. That's what I do. At one point in time, I just read RS4K chemistry to the older two right before bed.

Magic school bus or popular mechanics for kids are big hits in my household.

I wouldn't worry. I haven't touched science in a few months myself except for nature walks. Which is okay at this age. :)

Is what you're concerned about being on track for a 4-year history cycle?

If so, you could just start reading through SOTW and doing the narration and map work (if you wanted, or just reading it) at a rate of about 3 chapters per week, and you'd catch up.  Especially if you kept going through the summer.  That works fine in my house because my kids Loooooove doing SOTW.

For science, I really wouldn't worry about it.  I agree that he's not behind.  Jump in with something you (he) like and carry on!

You guys have no idea how relieved I am to read all of your responses.  I have been seriously stressing about this.  We did "human body" for awhile bc he wanted to and I still have some experiments left over so we'll finish that up.  He also did Astronomy with my husband last year bc he is really into it.

I just feel like I don't do nearly enough.  Not enough nature stuff.  Not enough exposure stuff.  Not enough experiments.  Just not enough! 

Thank you for support and reassurance!  May be I can stop hyperventilating for now :)

• Like 2

At that age, it really only takes a small amount of history/science study to be "enough".  For science, the goal is to help them look at the world around them with "wonder" and learn to observe and ask questions.  If he has topics of interest, go to the library and get books, there are so many fun ones (with lots of pictures!  the best kind) for that age.

For history, SOTW is really fabulous for young kids.  Keep it simple.  Help them gain an understanding of the world, a context for the present time (yes, there actually were people in the world before America was "discovered", who knew?!), and give them basic pegs to hang information on into the future.  It doesn't have to be complicated (or even chronological!) to be effective and interesting!

Don't beat yourself up.  You are doing fine.  Add a little bit, enjoy the learning, and look at the long haul.  A little bit at a time adds up to a lot over time!

You didn't screw up.

Really.

He's only 3rd grade.  

If you *want* to do a formal curriculum, pick something that looks like it will actually get done and proceed.

But, let's get real.  I'm not judging you. But, you *have* the stuff, it's just not getting done.  So... if, deep down, you admit a formal curriculum might not actually get done, but you're still feeling stressed about the lack of history / science in their school day, go to the library and get some books or videos that look interesting.  The Liberty Kids videos are pretty awesome.  You can get them for under $10 on amazon.  Brain Pop is good, too.  

You can also try something independent like Lifepac History.  No, it's not the most exciting thing in the world.  But, it would get done, and it would  be easy to add in interesting  books and videos as you have the time or inclination.  

ETA:  I just re-read the original post.  Dude, he's just in 2nd grade.  Really not behind *at all*.  You're doing fine!!  

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 2

You didn't screw up. I heard Jay Wile (Apologia) at a convention once and he said that in the elementary years, science was gravy anyway. Do it if you can, but don't panic if you can't. He said in the elementary years the most important things are making sure your kid is a fluent reader and has a good foundation in math. My kids' science classes consisted of a Moody Science Videos and a mish mash of other stuff done inconsistently. Finally we settled on Apologia and are doing science more consistently and the kids really like it. We did do History more consistently, though. It was easier to find a good curriculum. We did Story of the World.

Don't worry about what you haven't done at this point. I would suggest starting up with history sooner rather than later, though.

• Like 1

You didn't screw up.

Really.

He's only 3rd grade.  

If you *want* to do a formal curriculum, pick something that looks like it will actually get done and proceed.

But, let's get real.  I'm not judging you. But, you *have* the stuff, it's just not getting done.  So... if, deep down, you admit a formal curriculum might not actually get done, but you're still feeling stressed about the lack of history / science in their school day, go to the library and get some books or videos that look interesting.  The Liberty Kids videos are pretty awesome.  You can get them for under $10 on amazon.  Brain Pop is good, too.  

You can also try something independent like Lifepac History.  No, it's not the most exciting thing in the world.  But, it would get done, and it would  be easy to add in interesting  books and videos as you have the time or inclination.  

ETA:  I just re-read the original post.  Dude, he's just in 2nd grade.  Really not behind *at all*.  You're doing fine!!  

Yes, you nailed it.  That is another thing that is very stressful to me - how is it I am not getting it done??

I need to regroup this weekend. 

You guys have no idea how relieved I am to read all of your responses.  I have been seriously stressing about this.  We did "human body" for awhile bc he wanted to and I still have some experiments left over so we'll finish that up.  He also did Astronomy with my husband last year bc he is really into it.

I just feel like I don't do nearly enough.  Not enough nature stuff.  Not enough exposure stuff.  Not enough experiments.  Just not enough! 

Thank you for support and reassurance!  May be I can stop hyperventilating for now :)

first, agreeing that you're not behind in content. 

If you're wanting to add something fun, plan for doable field trips to children's museums, science museums, zoo, go to the park and look at the tree before you climb it.  take some pictures of it.    That's about all we did when my oldest was 7 and I had 2 other little ones under my feet or hanging upside down in a sling (don't judge me. she had a sensory integration issue).    summer time was quick day trips in the state to some family museums and state parks.  dh took off when he could.   and we watched Magic School Bus and Liberty's Kids. school house rock ....  and I told stories about "now when mama was a little girl...." 

and yes, you'll want to figure out something about planning and organizing and having a to do list that is doable in real world.  I know I do much better with something to check off even if it's as simple as "yep, watched that science video with youngest.  yep. did one chapter in history..  one section in math".   ok, I did my best years when I bought pre made lesson plans, but that's another story.  That didn't happen for me until oldest was 8 or so.

go get some field trips and fun.  

He is only in 2nd grade. It is perfectly okay to do child-led or unschool science all the way to 8th. Just make sure math is solid.

For history I let my kids just read a lot, watch lots of documentaries on Nova and BBC.

My local public schools does almost nothing for history other than a few worksheets. The only science thing they do is 5th grade science fair project which is compulsory. My oldest had like 3-4 science lessons a year while in public school.

I do not think you screwed up at all. I do not even bother with it at this age. I pop in the SOTW disks and they enjoy it. I have maps on the walls. I assume they look at them. If nothing else, they see the map shower curtain when they go to the bathroom. It is not like they would remember the details of everything. You are fine.

I do not think you screwed up at all. I do not even bother with it at this age. I pop in the SOTW disks and they enjoy it. I have maps on the walls. I assume they look at them. If nothing else, they see the map shower curtain when they go to the bathroom. It is not like they would remember the details of everything. You are fine.

My kids are becoming map experts bc we have been playing Ticket to Ride Europe  non.freaking.stop!!!

• Like 2

Don't panic- he's only a 3rd grader! Since you have it, start with RSO and HO. If he and your younger click with it, great! If not, wait a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you nailed it.  That is another thing that is very stressful to me - how is it I am not getting it done??

I need to regroup this weekend. 

Can I make a suggestion?  This is more of a "If I had it to do all over again" thought....

Instead of committing to a full-on history program, what about addressing cultural literacy in free-standing units.  This could be as in-depth or as simple as you want.

Your list might look different, but if I had it to do over again, my list would include (in no particular order): Ancient Egypt, Greek Myths, Knights & Castles, Explorers, American Revolution, American Tall Tales and Legends, Civil War.

Applying that idea to science (hitting just what I think are the most important topics), my list would include: the solar system, plants (photosynthesis), water cycle, recycling, animal habitats, and, of course, a unit on blowing things up. :)

For me the idea of, "I'm only committing to do this unit/topic for a week," (or two weeks or...) is much, much, much less overwhelming than committing to a curriculum that's a full school year's worth of historical or scientific goodness. 

Skill areas like math and English are different, of course.  But I think we can safely approach content areas with a lot more flexibility.  ALL of it will be covered again in high school in great depth, so no worries.

ETA: some web sites for anyone interested in this idea who wants something laid out:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

http://amandabennett.com/

https://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/

http://www.handsofachild.com/

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 3

I'm the weirdo over here suggesting something totally different ... I would get a 3rd grade science textbook (I'm partial to the Science: "A Closer Look" series) and the reading activities workbook. I would go through it diligently, teaching the vocabulary, doing the activities, and checking out topical books from the library. I would get a copy of Child's History of the World and the teacher's guide (both available at Rainbow Resource) and do a chapter a day (there are like 92 chapters). The TM has discussion questions to guide narration. Check out a whole bunch of the "Who Was" biographies for important people in US history from the library, or buy them like I do because my kid re-reads them. Or get the Audible audiobook versions (many for under $3) and play them in the car.

I don't think a kid is doomed if they haven't done history or science by third grade, but I do think it is a missed opportunity to build a foundation of knowledge that will make their future learning a lot more successful.

To give you my background: I have an 8th grader with whom I did history & science lightly (using RSO, Mr. Q & SOTW) inconsistently and with no expected output since I needed to focus our time on LA and math. He really struggled once he hit 6th grade and we did things a lot more formally. A lot of the concepts we were covering were new to him, and it was just a big jump in content while he was also making a big jump in output. Then I have a 2nd grader who is a very eager learner, and I have done much more regular history & science with him. He did Adventures in America in 1st while also listening to SOTW 1-4, and in 2nd he did geography and is in the middle of CHOW along with reference books and readers. He reads tons of the Who Was .... books. In science we have done textbooks a grade ahead along with BrainPop videos and activities. My younger son is getting a great foundation and not just exposure but real content - he is learning a lot of stuff my older one didn't deal with until years later. He makes references to what he's learned about all the time! I see that it has really enhanced his understanding of the world.

• Like 1

At that age, I found that my kids learn best with library books for science. This year my 1st and 3rd graders have done Life Science Task Cards from Creek Edge Press, which helped me remember to get library books. ;) But my oldest did just random library books when we felt like it, with zero "science" as part of our school day, and he had no problem scoring quite high on the science section of the SAT10 in 4th grade, plus he's had no problem doing very well with Apologia General Science this year in 6th. He's had tons of science. It just wasn't formal textbook science.

For history, pick up SOTW1 and start with both kids. It's perfectly ok to be doing Ancients in 3rd grade. That's way more history than most brick and mortar schools do at that age. In fact, most don't really do history in the early years. There is no such thing as being "behind" in history at that age. I always combine my kids for history. My 2nd son didn't do any history until 2nd grade, and we only got about halfway through Ancients. We finished Ancients in 3rd and started Medieval. We're about a third of the way through that right now. It really doesn't matter. He won't remember the history we learned in these grades. But the next time we study it, it will spark some memory, and he'll maybe keep more of it. Then when he hits it again in high school and is mature enough to really understand what's going on, he'll hold onto it even better.

• Like 1

I'm not an unschooler in the slightest. I like the idea of lots of book learning. But even I agree with everyone else that you are totally not behind and you haven't done anything wrong.

Really, seriously. And I often cringe when people say, "Oh you're fine!" when things aren't fine. But in your case, "You're fine."

You might have a little problem with your history cycle if you'd wanted to get through two 4-year cycles of world history before high school. You'll have to be a bit creative in how you do that if that's super important to you.

Science is fine. Just jump in with whatever you want right now and have fun with it.

• Like 2

Can I make a suggestion?  This is more of a "If I had it to do all over again" thought....

Instead of committing to a full-on history program, what about addressing cultural literacy in free-standing units.  This could be as in-depth or as simple as you want.

Your list might look different, but if I had it to do over again, my list would include (in no particular order): Ancient Egypt, Greek Myths, Knights & Castles, Explorers, American Revolution, American Tall Tales and Legends, Civil War.

Applying that idea to science (hitting just what I think are the most important topics), my list would include: the solar system, plants (photosynthesis), water cycle, recycling, animal habitats, and, of course, a unit on blowing things up. :)

For me the idea of, "I'm only committing to do this unit/topic for a week," (or two weeks or...) is much, much, much less overwhelming than committing to a curriculum that's a full school year's worth of historical or scientific goodness. 

Skill areas like math and English are different, of course.  But I think we can safely approach content areas with a lot more flexibility.  ALL of it will be covered again in high school in great depth, so no worries.

ETA: some web sites for anyone interested in this idea who wants something laid out:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

http://amandabennett.com/

https://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/

http://www.handsofachild.com/

Thank you so much for the idea and resources.  I always bulked at Unit Studies bc I was too worried that I am going to "miss" something in that great foundation that I was planning to build.  But it might  be a good start right now and then I'll see where we are come Sept.

My second grader really only started science around 6-8 weeks ago.  Before that we *tried* to do BFSU, but it never got done and so we did only a handful of the very basic lessons.  We were lucky enough to stumble across Mystery Science on the suggestion of someone on this board and signed up just in time to get a free trial of the whole program through June (which I understand they aren't doing anymore?).  But anyways, that's what we are using now.  It's open and go, based on online videos and simple activities, and my boys love it.  It's the first time science is getting done around here and my kids are excited about it.  I think my oldest three are approximately the same ages as your boys (newly 8, 6, and 4) and they're all participating and having fun.