Menu

American Adventure Literature suggestions

I've always preferred British Lit and while I've read a decent amount of American Lit I wouldn't say I'm well versed.  I'm going to lead a book club to go along with the 

US History 1 class that I'm teaching at co-op in the fall and I need reading suggestions, please.  The selection does not have to coincide chronologically or even be pre-1865.  But it does need to be an "adventure" type novel.  I have some ideas but I'd like to get others thoughts on what they would include.  

We're calling it a "book club" but I want to give the flexibility so that parents could turn it into a full Literature/Composition course if they want.  So what books would you assign for an American Adventure Literature course?  This would be aimed at 9th-11th grade and assume that literature + discussion takes up 1/2 a credits worth of time while composition (done at home) is the other 1/2 credit.

***Maybe we'd only do 1/2 the reading of adventure stories/novel, suggestions welcome. 

Edited by foxbridgeacademy