Menu

What should i do about my daughters handwriting?

bttrflyvld

I don't know what to do with my 2nd grade daughters handwriting.  We've used Zaner-bloser and Pentime workbooks.  I've also had her do copywork along side WWE and still it's like chicken scratch. Every day I have her copy 1 sentence in her most perfect writing she can do before we move onto the next activity and still it's awful. She does try hard but writing is just does not come easy for her.  I'm not sure what to try next.  

Any suggestions on what I should try with her?  curriculum, workbooks, ideas?  

I'd move the focus off pencil and paper for a while. Practice writing letters in rice, a salt tray, use a vertical surface like an easel or chalkboard on the wall, even switching to dry erase markers for a different feel. Do lots of fine motor skill activities like playing with play dough to strengthen hand muscles.

My oldest really struggled with handwriting up until 3rd grade, and then it was like something clicked and she didn't have to work at it nearly as hard.

• Like 1

An occupational therapist can help with handwriting. You can ask your doctor for a referral, if your insurance requires it. I agree that you can try doing writing with dry erase boards, tracing on sandpaper, etc., at home. There comes an age when it is more difficult or not possible to improve handwriting (not sure what that is, but I was told recently that my 11 year old is too old), so I would consider getting some OT assistance if possible.

• Like 1

I think it is particularly a personality and ability thing... Doing drawing books a lot I think has helped my kiddo more than anything else I hAve tried... The "how to draw blank" books... For that reason I might try to do the draw write now books... But my 4 year old ( who I have never taught handwriting to) has better handwriting than my 6 year old who I have worked with since 4... I had horrible handwriting growing up... Mostly because I never cared... When I was a teenager I randomly got tired of it and got better... I don't think there is an easy answer really...

Mine seems to be improving as I have started at square one... Using sort of HWT ideas and block paper teaching one letter at a time... But I can do it under the guise of teaching my little one the letters so that the older doesn't feel like I am talking down to him...

Hugs... I'm in the same boat... :)

How about the book "Growing an In-Sync Child"?  The problem with handwriting is that it depends on...other things.

It depends on balance, and core muscle strength.  It depends on the brain's ability to correctly send signals to fingers.  It depends on vision (had her vision fully checked by a COVD optometrist?) 

The book I mention has activities and games for various ages that work on multiple kinetic actions together, so that the brain learns to control them all at once.

• Like 1

How about the book "Growing an In-Sync Child"? The problem with handwriting is that it depends on...other things.

It depends on balance, and core muscle strength. It depends on the brain's ability to correctly send signals to fingers. It depends on vision (had her vision fully checked by a COVD optometrist?)

The book I mention has activities and games for various ages that work on multiple kinetic actions together, so that the brain learns to control them all at once.

she had had her vision checked. She had been behind on fine motor skills though, so maybe it's a matter of time.

Read up on dysgraphia and see if anything there speaks to you.  I would scribe for her for most things, start her on a solid typing program that emphasized accuracy not speed (speed will come once accuracy is solid), and keep handwriting practice separate from other learning for now.  Don't limit her ability to move forward cognitively because of poor handwriting.

As mentioned up thread, she may end up needing OT.  She may also have a developmental vision issue.  Have you ever had her eyes checked through a Developmental Optometrist?  A pediatric eye screening won't catch developmental vision issues.  Neither with an exam through an ophthalmologist.  I mention these because frequently after lots of targeted practice if handwriting is still an issue there could be underlying causes that can be addressed, but only if you know about them.  Otherwise you just keep spinning your wheels and frustrating both of you.  

Read up on dysgraphia and see if anything there speaks to you. I would scribe for her for most things, start her on a solid typing program that emphasized accuracy not speed (speed will come once accuracy is solid), and keep handwriting practice separate from other learning for now. Don't limit her ability to move forward cognitively because of poor handwriting.

As mentioned up thread, she may end up needing OT. She may also have a developmental vision issue. Have you ever had her eyes checked through a Developmental Optometrist? A pediatric eye screening won't catch developmental vision issues. Neither with an exam through an ophthalmologist. I mention these because frequently after lots of targeted practice if handwriting is still an issue there could be underlying causes that can be addressed, but only if you know about them. Otherwise you just keep spinning your wheels and frustrating both of you.

thanks for the suggestions. I haven't had her screened by a developmental optometrist before. I'll have to look into that. I did a lot of her writing last year, but have had her white me this year hoping it would help her, but I think it's been frustrating for her. I'm going to back off of writing for math. She's so good at math, I don't want her to resent it because she struggles with writing.
  • Like 1

I don't know what to do with my 2nd grade daughters handwriting.  We've used Zaner-bloser and Pentime workbooks.  I've also had her do copywork along side WWE and still it's like chicken scratch. Every day I have her copy 1 sentence in her most perfect writing she can do before we move onto the next activity and still it's awful. She does try hard but writing is just does not come easy for her.  I'm not sure what to try next.  

Any suggestions on what I should try with her?  curriculum, workbooks, ideas?  

:lurk5: Oh my! I could've written this post! It's the EXACT same situation with one of my 2nd grade daughters....ugh! Her twin has great handwriting so it is becoming an issue.  It is very frustrating for her and for me :(

DS doesn't love handwriting, but he likes it much better when he writes on a white board. Last year, I let him do almost all of his work on one and this year he's doing slightly more on paper and I've noticed that it's coming easier to him.