Menu

What do I need to buy for Saxon math?

musicianmom

There are more differences than just scripted. The blue books were written first with a scripted teachers manual and workbooks. The intermediate levels are most recent written more for classrooms in a similar format as the upper levels with a textbook. The children would then write out the problems on notebook paper to complete vs. a workbook. I felt that was too much writing for my third grader when I did it, so we did the blue book. However, do look over the samples as they have different authors and styles.

In the blue books, I found we didn't use as many of the manipulatives as in earlier levels. You will need some let of counters (beans work), a demo clock, a ruler, thermometer (for meeting book temperature recording), a hundred number chart and possibly a balance.

The math linking cubes I also found helpful for demonstrating facts. A base ten set would also be helpful.

You can often find math manipulatives inexpensively at used homeschool sales or on eBay. If you find it inexpensively, the whole kit is great, but you can get away with just those few things. We switched from Saxon, and we still use them to demonstrate concepts. My kids love making patterns and playing with the teddy bears. But as you are going into higher math you will need them less than early on.

If I were doing Intermediate 3, I would also buy the adaptions workbook as it has more hints and problems written out.

But we adore CLE too much to switch again. You might take a peek at it as it is similar to Saxon being spiral, costs way less, and does not require a bunch of bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk