Menu

LA quandry for 2nd/3rd grade... anyone else in this boat?

sunshineslp

What didn't you like about it (FLL and wwe)?

Well, I feel like FLL doesn't have enough practice. I wish there was a worksheet or something. I don't like that I have to do everything with him, in both WWE and FLL, it's completely parent directed. I know that writing needs to be parent directed, but I just get so tired of everything needing *me* to get done. There's too much dictation between the two books and I can't ever figure out which one to drop. All of these are probably petty complaints, lol, it's a good program, it's just not working for me right now.

• Like 1

WWE/FLL combo will take just as much time as ELTL, as I've used that combo before also. And again, you don't have to read the books. Hook them up with Librivox and let them listen to the books themselves while you go clean house or teach another kid. All the books are public domain, so they're usually on Librivox also (free).

At the levels you'd be using, there is no literary analysis of the books. They're just used for copywork and grammar analysis. The passage is given for you. Open and go. The oral narrations use a short fable/story that you read within the lesson, equivalent to what you'd be reading in WWE.

Have you downloaded the sample?

• Like 1

Well, I feel like FLL doesn't have enough practice. I wish there was a worksheet or something. I don't like that I have to do everything with him, in both WWE and FLL, it's completely parent directed. I know that writing needs to be parent directed, but I just get so tired of everything needing *me* to get done. There's too much dictation between the two books and I can't ever figure out which one to drop. All of these are probably petty complaints, lol, it's a good program, it's just not working for me right now.

FLL repeats a LOT. Is your child young? I found that no matter what I used, my oldest, who was good at grammar, would sometimes call an obvious verb a noun or something silly like that. Grammar takes time and maturity. It's ok if they make some mistakes in elementary levels. :)

As far as dictation goes, just pick one. You definitely don't have to do both! I usually did the WWE but not the FLL dictation.

If I use FLL/WWE, is there a way to use a supplement as some independent practice along side it? My kids like some workbook stuff. Would doing easy grammar be ok? I've heard EG is better as a supp anyway. It might not line up though...

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)