Menu

How to keep from forgetting math for the PSAT/SAT?

My son is taking Algebra I in 8th, Geometry in 9th, Algebra II in 10th, Trig in 11th.  Pretty normal sequence.

He will take the PSAT in 11th, which is also a normal sequence. 

Question: Aren't all the kids foggy on algebra and geometry by then?  He won't have had AlgI in three years and geometry in two years.

What's the best way to maintain knowledge after stepping away from a subject for years?  Surely this is something that everyone has to worry about but I can't seem to find threads on how to deal with it.

Add another vote for test prep books.  They are terrific at keeping the mind fresh on a multitude of topics.  We had quite the assortment here when middle son was chasing perfection on the ACT.  FWIW, his favorite was Barrons for difficult questions, Princeton Review for "most like the test," and McGraw Hill for learning about a topic.  (He never had to learn about topics, but he tutored others.)  Kaplan was his absolute least favorite.  He wouldn't even let me sell that book afterward.  He told me to burn it.   :lol:

Interestingly enough, he used Kaplan for MCAT review this past year and was pleased with it.  He just hated that they tried to teach tricks for the other tests more than content (his words).  His book/disc also had oodles of typos and that drove him bonkers.

There are "Real SAT & ACT" books out there too - with previous real tests.  We had those too.

For the PSAT, be sure to keep up on Geometry.  That's what most kids seem to let drop math-wise, esp when they do it in 8th or 9th.  Alg skills stay fresher because they are used more in other math classes.

• Like 3

The have all but deleted the geometry from the rSat and rPSat.

Good point.  I knew they revised the SAT and pSAT, but now that my guys are well past that stage (yippee!), I haven't paid attention to exactly what they did.

This means I have no idea what my guy would recommend for test prep at this point, but if they keep the same traits with the new books, it probably wouldn't vary much.  Eons ago it was the same as far as ACT/SAT were concerned in his eyes.

Geometry is only 10% of the new SAT and 4% of PSAT. The trigo ratios would be used in physics and is likely in precalculus while the rest can be easily revised with a test prep book. Algebra is in algebra 1,2 and precalculus anyway so hard to forget.

Breakdown of PSAT and SAT by topics from collegeboard

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/about/alignment/math/psat-nmsqt-sat

• Like 1

I did test prep for math I took 17 years prior.

I was way slower :( but still got all the answers right after a month of test prep. I'd advise test prep in the test medium. Worth the money for the confidence. At least then you know you can get your best score and won't wonder "what if".