Menu

Calculus: Foerster or alternatives?

I'm looking over options for home schooling calculus. We'd like something for 11th grade and DS would like to take the AP Calculus BC test. He finds AoPS frustrating (likes an explanation first then problems rather than trying them first as in AoPS), yet doesn't want something that's just a drill of exercises. So we're somewhere in the middle: a little beyond the minimum for the AP Calculus BC test, but not much. (FYI, I can answer questions if DS has them, but he prefers using a text.) In looking over a number of texts and reading the pinned High School Math thread on the WTM board, I'm considering Paul Foerster's Calculus and bought the text, although I'm by no means set. Here are my thoughts on some of the texts listed on the pinned thread:

Anton, Davies and Bivens: This looks like a possible alternative

Apostol: Too challenging given DS background in proofs and maybe too proofs focused for DS interest

AoPS: Too challenging/frustrating although the text looks elegant to me when I took a quick look

Larson and Edwards, Calculus of a Single Variable: Seems too calculation focused.

MIT Open Courseware: Looks like a possibility but DS prefers a book rather than lecture focus

Saxon: Only through AB and probably too mundane for DS.

Spivak: Too challenging and too proofs focused for DS interest

Stewart: Seems a bit dry and with problems too heavily physical science and engineering focused (we like more variety).

I may be off the mark on some of these comments by looking at an earlier version of a text, looking at unusual problems, etc.  BTW, I have several older calculus books lying around.  Although it's not necessary for us to get an AP-approved syllabus, we want to be sure to cover what's needed for the test (and be aware where we're covering topics not on the test). There's a list of reviewed texts at the College Board website, and Foerster is not on it. (Actually, of the list on the pinned thread, only Anton, Larson, and Stewart are on it, but most, if not all, would basically work.)

Has anyone used Foerster's Calculus basically for self-teaching? Anton? The MIT Open Courseware? Any other recommendations? Thanks!!

ETA: There are upcoming apparently modest changes for AP Calculus starting with the 2016-17 school year, as described in this WTM thread linked here.

Edited by Brad S

We will be getting the Larson & Edwards text with the Cengage (Chalkdust) videos (Larson also has a free website with study tools), I also have Foerster's, AoPS and Life of Fred.  My oldest son will be following Chalkdust, and reading AoPS/Life of Fred.  My daughter will most likely be using AoPS, with a side of Foerster's for tests & Quizzes.  They are very different math kids. 

Foerster's worked well for both of these kids for Algebra 1/Algebra 2 w/Trig.  We ultimately went with Chalkdust for my oldest, because the video explanations are just THAT good.  Neither of my kids were thrilled with the Math w/o Borders videos (although I have them).  

• Like 1

We weren't planning on getting any videos to accompany a text (and not Math w/o Borders videos).  DS does seem to like the KhanAcademy approach, but rarely uses those videos, and I've heard of the

too, although I don't know much about them.  DS tends to prefer a text and, if he doesn't understand something, to pick up an alternate text.  Since Chalkdust is based on the Larson and Edwards text, and Larson seems a bit too calculation focused for DS and my tastes, that doesn't seem like a good starting place for us.  But if the Chalkdust calculus videos are THAT good, maybe we'll consider them if DS struggles with Plan A.  Thanks. Edited by Brad S

We are not at the Calculus level yet but we use Foerster for after-schooling math (primarily in the summer). We are doing Precalculus this year. I really like Foerster for the problem sets and probably will purchase his Calculus text for summer 2017. We use multiple texts and online resources for understanding of the material.  The more exposure to different authors the better.

• Like 1

We are not at the Calculus level yet but we use Foerster for after-schooling math (primarily in the summer). We are doing Precalculus this year. I really like Foerster for the problem sets and probably will purchase his Calculus text for summer 2017. We use multiple texts and online resources for understanding of the material.  The more exposure to different authors the better.

Can you tell what what (other sources, etc) you used for Alg 2 besides Foerster text?

Will be starting Foerster Alg 2 this summer.

Thank you

Thanks, Mark.  I also really like Foerster's Precalculus problem sets.  May I ask what other texts and online resources you might recommend to accompany Foerster's Calculus (or Precalculus)?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark.  I also really like Foerster's Precalculus problem sets.  May I ask what other texts and online resources you might recommend to accompany Foerster's Calculus (or Precalculus)?  Thanks.

Work in progress for this summer (end of May)

His charter school is using EngageNY materials this year. They seem ok but the teacher's pace is too slow and once again they won't cover all the typical topics for Precalc.

So far every math class that my son has taken at any B&M school has been throttled back because a third of the students do not belong there.

• Like 1

We are using an older version - Larson's Calculus with Analytic Geometry  (8e) for Calc AB this year and will continue on using the same book next year for BC (it's a multi-year book).  Under $5 on Amazon - pretty good deal for 2 years of Math!

We like it because the explanations are clear, there are tons of resources online for further explanations if a student is struggling with a particular topic and because the odd answers are out there on CalcChat with explanations on how to work them for when I get stuck trying to figure out a problem.  It's been a few decades since I've done calc, so I have to work all the problems ahead of DD to refresh my brain.

We used Foerster for Alg 2, Blitzer for Pre-Calc and now Larson this year.  All three books had a pretty similar style for working the problems.  The print is a little bigger in the Larson book, which matters to me because I am getting old.....

• Like 1