Menu

Good luck to all the students taking the ACT today!

I hope everyone does well!  My daughter is taking the ACT with writing this morning too.  There a lot of kids heading into the building when I dropped her off.  She was supposed to take the test earlier this year, but had to cancel and reschedule. She definitely wasn't thrilled with getting up early this morning.  

Yes, yes! Half of our family was dealing with puking yesterday, so I am hoping our test taker is continuing to feel fine despite the retching happening Thursday night/Friday morning.  :ack2:

First go 'round with accommodations, so I hope management of those goes well. We have done just a little prep work this week. Giving my child unlimited time on the reading practice earlier this week resulted in a significant improvement (child took an hour and a half on the practice test), so it will be interesting to see how it goes in action. We made a game plan and my child went in knowing which the tests needed extra time and which they were comfortable completing in the time given.

DH did the shuffling this morning and said there were about 30 kids at our testing site, with at least 1/3 of them in the extended time group. 

Looking forward to hearing the "read" on the test. Last year science was really hard according to my child, so I wonder what will be the tricky section this year! 

Good luck to all our testers!

Both my kids are taking it for the first time today. I don't know what I was thinking, but we almost didn't make it to the site on time. It's only 15 minutes away, and I let ds and dd know we should get going at 7:30. Well, it took them 10 minutes to get into the car and then I realized I was out of gas. I had googled the addess for the high school and had my dd enter it on the gps, which showed we would arrive at 7:58. At that point it occurred to me that we probably had to be EXACTLY on time or early or we might have a problem. When we were halfway there, dd asked why the address on her admission ticket was different than the one I'd had her enter on the gps. Ack! My kids walked into the building at 7:59. I walked in behind them and then went back out to park the car in a better place. When I returned two minutes later, all doors to the school were locked. So, hopefully all went well for them getting checked in.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

My sophomore is taking it for the first time today, with zero prep. She drove herself with her week-old license and is meeting friends who are also taking it for lunch afterwards. And then my youngest, age 12, had me measure his height this morning, and he has grown an inch in 19 days. I am having one of those "the end is near" mornings!

• Like 2

My sophomore is taking it for the first time today, with zero prep. She drove herself with her week-old license and is meeting friends who are also taking it for lunch afterwards. And then my youngest, age 12, had me measure his height this morning, and he has grown an inch in 19 days. I am having one of those "the end is near" mornings!

Oh my! That is a morning of firsts!.

Mine was up and dressed when I went in to make sure actual waking was occurring and not just the light is on, but I am still in bed. I had a  :w00t: , then  :hurray: moment. Awesome to seeing them becoming capable individuals. 

• Like 2

My daughter thought she had done pretty well on the test.  At least the scores arrive fairly quickly.  She's just happy it's over.  She mentioned it seems easier that the old SAT test.  She' s not taken the new SAT.

This one is a practice for DS - except for Math.  We want to see his score on the Math section pretty badly! 

Prelim scores should be out on the 19th I read.  Doesn't that seem really soon to you all?

Wow! The 19th seems like crazy fast turn around, but when I think about last year, I think we had results in two weeks. 

This one is a practice for DS - except for Math.  We want to see his score on the Math section pretty badly! 

Prelim scores should be out on the 19th I read.  Doesn't that seem really soon to you all?

Yes, that does seem early. They told dd 3-8 weeks (which is the "normal" time I think--though I've heard lately that scores are sometimes coming up sooner). 

DD had taken a variety of practice tests--thought the English and Reading were similar in difficulty to those, math was harder than her most recent practice test, but about the same as some of the others, and that science was a bit easier than her most recent practice... Her scores on practice tests have had a lot of variance...so I'm not sure what to expect! 

I forgot to tell her that sometimes they add on a 5th, shorter test of "trial" questions--she came out upset because she hadn't expected a 5th test, and the instructions confused her ("take out a calculator in case it's a math test"--but her's was English). Why don't they just tell kids what the test is?!  I suppose they think some kids would just blow it off and not try.

This is our first experience with the ACT. Do they grade the tests and send results in batches or all at one time?

Batches. Lucky for me, my kid's results were in the first batch when he took it last year. Results were fast and out by breakfast pacific time.

ETA:

Good luck to all the kids taking today :)

Edited by Arcadia

• 11 months later...

This is a year-old thread, but I wanted to say good luck to all those who took it today. 

The juniors at the local school all take the in-school version in a couple of weeks, so DD didn't recognize anyone taking it locally (other than another homeschooler). I don't know what it is here, but they always get done really early. All the ACT stuff says they will release the no-writing kids at 12:15. They got released before 11:30 today. 

• Like 2

Crazy it's been a year! Mine had extended time again and was the only kid in the room! I think my child finished too early, so we will see what happens with the score this year.  :closedeyes: My kid felt good about it, confident even, which is concerning. I hope that doesn't mean it was a rush job. I would like to see the score increase a bit, but the PreACT they took in the fall at school had my kid scoring much lower on the reading than last year, so I honestly have no idea what to expect. On the up side, math went way up, which is so my kid-sometimes really with it and other times you're thinking, huh? 

Wonder if the turn around time will be as quick this year??

• Like 1

This is a year-old thread, but I wanted to say good luck to all those who took it today. 

The juniors at the local school all take the in-school version in a couple of weeks, so DD didn't recognize anyone taking it locally (other than another homeschooler). I don't know what it is here, but they always get done really early. All the ACT stuff says they will release the no-writing kids at 12:15. They got released before 11:30 today. 

Yes, our testing venue always finishes much earlier than what the ACT folks say. It is crazy. 

• Like 1

I don't know what it is here, but they always get done really early. All the ACT stuff says they will release the no-writing kids at 12:15. They got released before 11:30 today.

Yes, our testing venue always finishes much earlier than what the ACT folks say.

Here they close the gates at 8am and sometimes the test candidates are all checked in by 8am so they could start by 8:15am. One of my kid started at 8:30am while the other started at 9am so it really depends on whether they could get everyone checked in and accounted for by 8am. It would be a few years before my kids retake ACT for college admission, the stress/excitement of results wasn't fun for the parents worrying about disappointed kids.

Good luck to all the kids taking today and hopefully their results are released in the first batch (first day of release results)

Here they close the gates at 8am and sometimes the test candidates are all checked in by 8am so they could start by 8:15am. One of my kid started at 8:30am while the other started at 9am so it really depends on whether they could get everyone checked in and accounted for by 8am. It would be a few years before my kids retake ACT for college admission, the stress/excitement of results wasn't fun for the parents worrying about disappointed kids.

Good luck to all the kids taking today and hopefully their results are released in the first batch (first day of release results)

Yes, I think the venue we use has a small number of students testing, so they get started pretty quickly I guess.