Menu

DE Math opportunity - EdX starts soon - 4/18

ASUx 117 College Algebra and Problem Solving

https://www.edx.org/course/college-algebra-problem-solving-asux-mat117

starts April 18 - self-paced so you could go slow until your current classes finished up.

This is an online variant of the standard College Algebra course at ASU:

https://math.asu.edu/resources/math-courses/mat117

You can get college credits but it is probably not real cheap.

For college credit you have to setup a proctor (as expected).

This would be a good choice if you just want to show subject knowledge taken at a university.

This would be good for a future STEM major who could not use the credits anyway.

Maybe you could just take screen shots of the exam scores and give your student a home-school grade.

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

update  4/18/16  looked at overview

COURSE TIME COMMITMENT

You have up to one year to complete this course. The course shell will become inactive after April 11, 2017 and you will no longer have access to your course progress. Please plan your goals accordingly. During this year, you are encouraged to work through the course at a pace that suits your needs.

The work of this course is equivalent to a university-level 15-week course (one semester), although there is no requirement that the course be completed in one semester.

It uses some form of ALEKS but we haven't started that part yet.

• Like 1

I signed up for this too, but haven't really poked around yet. i'll be really interested to hear what you think.  I'm wondering if this would be equivalent to Algebra 2/Trig? Precalculus?  I haven't compared syllabi or anything yet.

No Trig - the topics covered would be part of a high school Precalc course - a little more depth than Algebra 2

=======================================

MAT 117 College Algebra

Linear and quadratic functions, systems of linear equations, logarithmic and exponential functions, sequences, series, and combinatorics.

=======================================

Typical College Algebra class.

My DS will actually start later in the week.  I signed in to look at the overview today.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I started this last weekend and have been chugging along. I am actually feeling pretty proud of myself as my last math classes were pre-calc in high school and stats in college (20 yrs ago). All the algebra I've been doing with my older son has made this pretty easy so far - but I haven't gotten to logarithms yet and I don't remember anything about those. :001_huh: I like the ALEKS platform much more than I expected. I have heard many people say that ALEKS is great for review but not for initial teaching, and I totally see why. There are videos linked to the problem sets, but I haven't needed them yet and I think it would be too easy to just learn enough from the models to answer correctly without needing to understand why. I have a Bittinger College Algebra textbook and I will try taking the tests in that after I have finished the edX course to see if I can pass it - that should be a decent test of mastery. I have about 150 topics left to master, but I think I should be able to finish in a few weeks as a good portion of those are things I just wasn't tested on during the placement test. I rocked the first knowledge test and am feeling pretty smart. ;)

I'm hoping that getting the certificate after passing this course will make me eligible to be a math tutor through our homeschool program.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My son is doing this course (started it late winter and it is still available) - would the next course he would take after this be PreCalc? Is everything in Alg 2 covered? I am going to run him through the Alg 2 book we have to make sure he's got things down before calling it done. There is a PreCalc class starting next week on edX also an ASU course so I was thinking of having him do that next if his Alg 2 skills are good.

I also used this course as a refresher since I last had a math course in college in 1998, so a bit ago...

My son is doing this course (started it late winter and it is still available) - would the next course he would take after this be PreCalc? Is everything in Alg 2 covered? I am going to run him through the Alg 2 book we have to make sure he's got things down before calling it done. There is a PreCalc class starting next week on edX also an ASU course so I was thinking of having him do that next if his Alg 2 skills are good.

I also used this course as a refresher since I last had a math course in college in 1998, so a bit ago...

The next class would be precalculus. I assume that you're talking about the ASU precalculus class which corresponds to their MAT 170. If you look at the ASU math classes, the prerequisite for MAT 170 is a C in MAT 117 (the linked class) so he should be fine. 

• Like 1