Menu

What's with the ads?

SparklyUnicorn

If your kid takes DE courses do you have minimal grade expectations of him/her?

How funny that this just came up--dd just limped up the stairs (she's in a cast) to tell me that she pulled her precalc grade up to a 95! She's confused about a concept (vectors), so needs to hie herself to the math lab tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Yes...this is the area where I live. And no RPI is not chopped liver.

Its not the area where I live, so kids here are sol. Kinda funny since so many are from techie or wall street fams,, but the powers that be wont offer them courses that would be helpful should they want to go that route.there is no engineering version of any math course at the CC that is the de provider here.

Note the Capitol Area has high schools that offer honors math thru calc 3, as regular courses, not DE for a fee. That would be less costly than DE on the CC campus.

Edited by Heigh Ho
  • Like 1

Its not the area where I live, so kids here are sol. Kinda funny since so many are from techie or wall street fams,, but the powers that be wont offer them courses that would be helpful should they want to go that route.there is no engineering version of any math course at the CC that is the de provider here.

Note the Capitol Area has high schools that offer honors math thru calc 3, as regular courses, not DE for a fee. That would be less costly than DE on the CC campus.

The high school here does not. 

There is a tech high school, but you get in via a lottery.  And as a homeschooler I'm not sure it is an option because you need a letter from a guidance counselor to even try for the lottery. 

He really does not want to go to high school though.  I offered that.  He's used to being homeschooled.  He got a taste of what college is like (which isn't really like high school) and likes that.  I think he'd be unhappy with that.  And here the high school is very rough.  Every other day I read about some crazy crap there.  He's a bit of an odd duck (I mean that in a good way) so I think that would not be good for him.  So far at the CC nobody has given him a hard time at all.  And they know he is young because he does not look older. 

Where I lived as a kid we did not have those options around either. And no public transportation. 

Last night I told my kid more about the HVCC stuff and the articulation/transfer stuff they offer.  And I mentioned that he could take the TASC at 16 and then go to HVCC full time and matriculate.  So we have a couple of years until then.  I'd still have him take math at the closer CC (they too offer many of the same math courses).  We'd focus on those things that will help most with college.  This would make life so much easier for so many reasons.  He really really liked that idea. 

He did mention wanting to go to a particular selective school.  I said even if you had perfect grades and perfect test scores the likelihood of getting in there is very small.  And I said if they don't offer much aid or not enough then that is off the table anyway because it's just way too expensive.  I said if you really have your heart set on going there at some point, go there for a master's degree.  I still don't think that's the best idea given a wide variety of factors including money, but at that point it'll be all on him to work that out if he wants to. 

So this was helpful.  Except now this changes the plan considerably.  LOL 

How funny that this just came up--dd just limped up the stairs (she's in a cast) to tell me that she pulled her precalc grade up to a 95! She's confused about a concept (vectors), so needs to hie herself to the math lab tomorrow. 

Yeah his average so far is a 93 (and some decimal).  There may be time to bring it up a bit, but either way I'm not worried about it.

The final is worth 30%.  I think she mentioned there will be one or two more quizzes.  She gives quizzes and tests.  I think the quizzes are worth less, but they also get to take them home.

What do I expect in a DE course? I expect A's. And I am not happy that dd will probably pull a B in precalc this semester and it's going to trash her gpa, being a 4 credit class. She blew her 4.0 last semester with an  A- in a Java class. I keep having to remind myself that half the class failed--it's the weed-out class for comp sci majors at our university. Her senior year will only get tougher. 

My husband took Java in his master's degree program.  He hated it so much he changed his major so he didn't have to take it. LOL 

A - is nothing to scoff at I don't think.