Menu

Can you pass the new Citizenship test?

Got 'em all. But I better get them because I helped a friend from Egypt study for her citizenship for over a year on the old test. These questions are easier than the old one. For example, they only ask for three original states but they used to need to know all thirteen. Just another area that is "dumbed down" IMO.

I missed on the president (guessed at Filmore) and US Rep term (thought it was 6 years - that is the Mexican term...) I'm giving myself a pass on the Representative term as I've been an ex-pat for years. It galls me that those old farts beat me by one. :)

Now, can someone explain to me why the caption for the white man said (paraphrasing) "got 8 out of 10" and the black man said "struggles to remember" when both got 8/10?

Just for kicks, here are Mexico's 100 questions http://www.sre.gob.mx/tramites/nacionalidad/guia_estudio.pdf

and a sample...

1. Name ten Mexican states and their capitals

2. Who or what was Quetzalcoatl?

3. Name 3 ex-presidents of Mexico

4. What is the official name of Mexico?

5. Who was Francisco Villa?

6. Name 3 heroes of the Independence of Mexico

7. Name 2 Aztec emperors

8. Name the place where Hidalgo made his famous "El Grito" speech on September 16, 1810

9. State the names of the writers of the lyrics and music of the Mexican national anthem.

10. How many peninsulas are there in Mexico?

Edited by jamnkats

I would have passed. I couldn't for the life of me think of a short answer about what the Constitution does so I counted it wrong. If it had been multiple choice I'd probably have been able to narrow it down. And I had no idea that Woody was president during WWI.

I missed number of years for Representatives, and I wasn't sure if it was Taft or Wilson for WW1. :( Got the others at least (though I thought the tax question was a trick, lol).

I think if you have it narrowed down that much and even remotely knew Wilson, then you get credit. In my class anyway!

I said FDR, but knew it wasn't. I gave the test to ds 12. Ds immediately says "FDR was WWII,so I know it's not him..." but he didn't get that one right either.

I got a 10! DH's coworker just became a citizen a few weeks ago. We had a surprise party for him last week with about 100 people from our small town in attendance.

Afterwards I told DH we should have had some sort of "Are you smarter than a new citizen?" game with the town people competing against the new citizen. I bet the new citizen would have won!

100% and I deserve "extra-credit" on #7 :patriot:

Um, why?

Spoiler Alert

Because when April 15th falls on a weekend (or holiday) the deadline is moved to the next regular "business-day". And I knew that :D

But, like Bill, I think I should get extra credit for #7...because I had a more complete answer! :001_smile:

Because we are both procrastinators? :lol:

Bill (who can be a "smarty-pants" :tongue_smilie:)

Because we are both procrastinators? :lol:

Bill (who can be a "smarty-pants" :tongue_smilie:)

My extended answer was different than yours, however it still has to do with procrastination. Mine was, "April 15, unless you file for an extension by then." Oh, and you should have little doubt that I am right at home with smarty pants. :D

The test is outrageous!

When I studied for my test I was delving into the bios of all the founding fathers, memorizing the entire Bill of Rights, learning all the Presidents in order, the States by accession, and a whole spectrum of additional information, much of which to my shame I have since forgotten. (I was only 12 and the really sad part is do not really remember the test itself anymore. I am not even too sure I took one, given my age).

If you are going to swear allegiance to a nation and renounce an old one you should know in detail what you are doing. You should certainly know more that the average American.

If as an adult I had been given that "test" I would have been insulted. That the above knowledge is deemed sufficient to take American citizenship, well.....it speaks volumes.

The test is outrageous!

When I studied for my test I was delving into the bios of all the founding fathers, memorizing the entire Bill of Rights, learning all the Presidents in order, the States by accession, and a whole spectrum of additional information, much of which to my shame I have since forgotten. (I was only 12 and the really sad part is do not really remember the test itself anymore. I am not even too sure I took one, given my age).

If you are going to swear allegiance to a nation and renounce an old one you should know in detail what you are doing. You should certainly know more that the average American.

If as an adult I had been given that "test" I would have been insulted. That the above knowledge is deemed sufficient to take American citizenship, well.....it speaks volumes.

Soooo......let's make it mandatory for every living American, and kick out the ones who fail. That'd cut down on the health care, energy and banking crises, no?

As a Citizenship teacher, I take umbrage to your tone and comments.

astrid

astrid

As a Citizenship teacher, I take umbrage to your tone and comments.

astrid

Astrid you should not take any umbrage, I trust that you teach what you are told to.... well and in a proffessional manner.

Soooo......let's make it mandatory for every living American, and kick out the ones who fail. That'd cut down on the health care, energy and banking crises, no?

No, lets be serious, we do not kick out citizens, (but I must say, as an immigrant, that I would be quite happy to kick out any illegals) BUT we do not need to make new citizens who could not pass a test far more advanced than that which was referenced.

Look at the questions:

2. What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution? They have to be kidding, why even bother with a question like this?

3. Name one branch or part of the government. Why only one? That anyone would think that this is appropriate is, to me, amazing.

The point is that American citizenship, when bestowed on a foreigner, is an incredible boon. There is little like it in the world. That an individual should receive this while having only the barest knowledge of the nation that is about to adopt him is hard to believe. The “test” was so simplistic that there can be no sense of accomplishment in passing it and certainly no knowledge.

How can an immigrant adore, revere and serve a nation that he does not understand? How can an immigrant respect a nation that holds him in such contempt that it only asks such a low level of knowledge?

The test above does not generate understanding. Therefore it can play no part in generating a truly valuable citizen who truly understands our great nation.

Does anybody actually fail that “test”? If so they have not bothered to study and have demonstrated a complete disdain for our system.

A real test should separate the chaff from the wheat, but I have absolutely no idea what this one does.

Edited by pqr