Menu

FYI: Aops is now CA A-G accredited!

Olympiad geometry is in the list. Maybe I should just use that to satisfy the compulsory geometry requirements of UC. My kids did their geometry course last year so not a-g approved.

None of the UCs are currently in my kids' favorites though :lol:

This is certainly good news, but I wonder how significant this really is for mathy kids who will likely need to take a math SAT subject test anyway for college admissions. Still, it's good news.

Geometry. I don't think you can test out of the Geometry requirement since the SAT reduced the geometry content in their test.

• Like 1

Wouldn't the subject tests still have it, though? (Not that we need it for A-G since we're not in CA, but testing out is considered a valid way of checking boxes for our cover school for high school subjects that DD can't get credit for before high school-which may not be needed, but doesn't seem like a horrible thing to do even if she doesn't need it. I'd rather have Algebra and geometry on the high school transcript than not have them, just in case). In our case, the state has an exit exam for Algebra, so we checked that box, but not for Geometry, so I was kind of thinking that doing an SAT subject test down the road would cover it.

In our case, the state has an exit exam for Algebra, so we checked that box, but not for Geometry, so I was kind of thinking that doing an SAT subject test down the road would cover it.

UC does not allow testing out of geometry by exam. We still need to have an a-g approved geometry course, which is comical since my local school district kids take geometry in 8th and that gets added to their high school transcripts in the section for courses taken in 7th and 8th.

• Like 1

This is what I found on the UC admissions website:

If a student wishes to validate the entire mathematics sequence (Algebra I and II and Geometry) with a precalculus course, must the precalculus course be a year-long course?

For applicants for the fall 2015 term and thereafter: All must complete a Geometry course. No higher level courses can be used to validate an omission of Geometry. A student can, however, validate a grade deficiency (D/F grade) in Geometry by successful completion of a higher level course, such as precalculus.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/validation/#3

Sorry, don't know how to link it on my phone.

DS will be taking AoPS (now A-G approved) geometry next year in 6th grade. Would that count? Can we report this on the transcript to say he took it and it was a-g approved or it won't work because he is too young? This entire thread is giving me a headache.  :sleep:

It should -- as long as it starts after April 15th it is accredited. They don't care WHEN you take it (middle or high), it just seems that matter only that Geometry is accredited!  

I'm really thankful to Arcadia for mentioning that requirement for Geometry. I had no idea. We are planning to homeschool up through most of middle, we are moving back to CA in a few years, and ds should be hitting Geometry around 6th - so now we've got to plan on taking the class online.  I just assumed as long as you took four years of higher math in hs you would be good.  Silly me. 

• Like 1

I guess I should bother the cover school high school guidance counselor and find out how they want DD's geometry validated to go on the transcript since she's finishing it up now, or whether they'll consider completion of higher math enough to put geometry on the transcript as "before high school", like they did for Algebra.

DS will be taking AoPS (now A-G approved) geometry next year in 6th grade. Would that count? Can we report this on the transcript to say he took it and it was a-g approved or it won't work because he is too young?

This step by step guide from a California public school is very helpful. You might have to self report under the comments section instead for geometry taken before 7th. Mine took geometry in 5th and before AoPS has it a-g approved.

http://rhs.rocklinusd.org/subsites/Career-Center/documents/College%20Planning/UC%20Freshman%20Application%20Workshop.pdf

• Like 1