Menu

Slow, incremental, parts-to-whole Latin?

Artes Latinae might be worth looking into as well. It's pretty slow and repetitive. I did it over 20 years ago and I can still say "Vestis virum reddit" but I didn't understand much of the grammar at the time. I'm not sure if that was a problem with Artes Latinae or just my prior grammar education.

• Like 1

Latin's Not So Tough.  I think it's parts-to-whole in Level 3, and then it switches to whole-to-parts (which I like better, personally) in Level 4 and stays there through Level 6.  It's very incremental and provides lots of review.  Similar to GSWL in style but expanded.

That being said, DD got bored with it and wanted to start Latin Alive.  She's in eighth grade this year.  We have liked the two chapters of Latin Alive that we've worked through so far.

First Form Latin?

I know this is from Memoria Press, which is a Christian company, but do you know if there is much content in FFL that would objectionable to a non-Christian?

Latin's Not So Tough.  I think it's parts-to-whole in Level 3, and then it switches to whole-to-parts (which I like better, personally) in Level 4 and stays there through Level 6.  It's very incremental and provides lots of review.  Similar to GSWL in style but expanded.

That being said, DD got bored with it and wanted to start Latin Alive.  She's in eighth grade this year.  We have liked the two chapters of Latin Alive that we've worked through so far.

Is Latin's Not So Tough high school level?  I was under the impression it was for younger kids. 

Wheelock's is very part-to-whole and there are plenty of supplementary materials (workbooks, vocabulary books, readers, online flash cards, etc.) to provide a lot of repetition. You could spread the text and workbooks out over 3 years instead of 2 (this isn't uncommon for HS programs, and even our local university spreads it out over 4 quarters). There are 40 chapters, so if you school 40 wks/yr, that would give you 3 weeks per chapter.

ETA: I just saw your other Latin thread. Wheelock's meets all the criteria you listed: it's complete (there is a Wheelock's Reader you could use for Latin 4 if you want to continue that far); it's entirely secular; it starts at the beginning; and it is a standard text used in many high schools and colleges.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

Wheelock's is very part-to-whole and there are plenty of supplementary materials (workbooks, vocabulary books, readers, online flash cards, etc.) to provide a lot of repetition. You could spread the text and workbooks out over 3 years instead of 2 (this isn't uncommon for HS programs, and even our local university spreads it out over 4 quarters). There are 40 chapters, so if you school 40 wks/yr, that would give you 3 weeks per chapter.

ETA: I just saw your other Latin thread. Wheelock's meets all the criteria you listed: it's complete (there is a Wheelock's Reader you could use for Latin 4 if you want to continue that far); it's entirely secular; it starts at the beginning; and it is a standard text used in many high schools and colleges.

Thank you!  Do you know if there are lesson plans available anywhere?  I could look at the book and try to figure out how to spread it out over 3 years, but it would be so much easier if someone had already done it.  (I love lesson planning, but I also work full time, so sometimes it's better for me if it's already done!) 

I know this is from Memoria Press, which is a Christian company, but do you know if there is much content in FFL that would objectionable to a non-Christian?

Is Latin's Not So Tough high school level?  I was under the impression it was for younger kids. 

It's fairly neutral, especially in the upper levels -- there aren't any cutesy pictures or things, and the directions are pretty basic and neutral, but the print is fairly large for the vocabulary and such like that.  I do think it's for up to middle school level at the most.  I think that's partly why DD got bored with it, because it feels young.  We only do Latin a couple of days a week, which is why we haven't finished LNST yet.  But, it depends on the child.  I do think it's a very solid program, so it would depend on your child.

• Like 1

Thank you!  Do you know if there are lesson plans available anywhere?  I could look at the book and try to figure out how to spread it out over 3 years, but it would be so much easier if someone had already done it.  (I love lesson planning, but I also work full time, so sometimes it's better for me if it's already done!) 

Here is one example of how to do Wheelock's at the pace of 3 weeks per chapter:

We used the text, the Study Guide, the Workbook, and 38 Latin Stories. We set up our own Latin notebook (a 3-ring notebook), in which we would keep our notes and work in vocabulary, grammar, translations, and tests. The Latin notebook was divided into Grammar, Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives, Misc. Vocabulary, Text Exercises, Translations, and Tests sections.

First week: We began each new chapter in Wheelock’s by going through the Study Guide for that chapter thoroughly, and working through any exercises in the Study Guide. We entered new paradigms learned in the Grammar section of the notebook. We went through the new vocabulary list in the text, and entered new vocabulary, declined and conjugated, in the Verb, Noun, Adjective, and Misc. sections of the notebook. At the beginning of every day, we drilled new paradigms and new vocabulary.

Second week: We worked through the Workbook for that chapter, completing all the exercises and practice translations. I assigned the Self-Tutorial Exercises (in the appendix in the back of the Wheelock’s text) for that chapter as homework. The Self-Tutorial work was kept in the Text Exercises section of the Latin notebook. This provided sufficient vocabulary and paradigm practice, usually, to firmly learn each chapter’s new material.

Third Week: We worked through translating the chapter Practice Sentences, Sententiae Antiquae, poetry or paragraph adpatation from the classical authors, and the story corresponding with that chapter from 38 Latin Stories. We kept this work in the Translations section of the Latin notebook. Use the Wheelock’s Latin Chapter Translations Key to check the work of both parent and child.

Dale Grote, author of the Comprehensive Study Guide to Wheelock’s Latin, has posted excellent exams on his website which test Latin learning for every 5 chapters of Wheelock’s. They are samples for his students to prepare for the style of the real thing; but they are great to use as is to test your own children if you feel they need it. We kept tests in the Tests section of the Latin notebook.

But you could divide it in many other ways as well: e.g., text and text exercises in week 1, workbook exercises in week 2, readings from 38 Stories plus a chapter quiz in week 3; or half the exercises in the text and workbook in week 1, the second half in week 2, readings & quiz in week 3; or text and half the exercises in week 1, 2nd half of text exercises and half the workbook exercises in week 2, and the rest of the workbook exercises plus readings in week 3, with a cumulative test every 5 chapters (so basically as a final exam for a 15-wk semester).

There are tons of resources for Wheelock's here, including tests, quizzes, handouts, links to answer keys, and sample lesson plans.

• Like 3

Here is one example of how to do Wheelock's at the pace of 3 weeks per chapter:

But you could divide it in many other ways as well: e.g., text and text exercises in week 1, workbook exercises in week 2, readings from 38 Stories plus a chapter quiz in week 3; or half the exercises in the text and workbook in week 1, the second half in week 2, readings & quiz in week 3; or text and half the exercises in week 1, 2nd half of text exercises and half the workbook exercises in week 2, and the rest of the workbook exercises plus readings in week 3, with a cumulative test every 5 chapters (so basically as a final exam for a 15-wk semester).

There are tons of resources for Wheelock's here, including tests, quizzes, handouts, links to answer keys, and sample lesson plans.

We used this online for exercises to go with Wheelockshttp://web.uvic.ca/hrd/latin/wheelock/index.htm

• Like 3

First Form is not for younger than middle schoolers.  And it isn't religious besides maybe a few of the sayings.  There is one saying a week.  Occasionally it is a religious one, but when so it is because it is a famous saying, something that all latin students should be knowledgable about usually. I wouldn't use First Form with anyone under 5th grade probably.  Well, I currently have one 4th grader, but she has already been through Prima Latina, and LCi and II, so she is fine with it.

You could possible be thinking of Latina Christiana, which is still actually a good program for beginners.  They should just move through it faster if in high school than a fourth or fifth grader using it would.

• Like 2

I agree with First and Second Form Latin to get a grip on grammar first.  You can then take that grammar knowledge and build on it with another program.  MP is a religious company and the Latin has some religious content, but that content is easily omitted without sacrificing the relevant parts of the program.  We eliminated all the prayers and songs, and haven't used any of the additional books (such as Lingua Biblica) and we suffered no Ill effects at all; in fact, DD just received her NLE scores and scored *very* well.  The best part of the program is that the teacher supports are top-notch, and even myself, a non-Latin speaker, was able to guide her and learn Latin with her.  I can't imagine a way to improve upon MP Forms series.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

Is FFL worth a high school credit?

I do believe some give high school credit for the Form series, but I personally would not give credit for First Form.

Dd is finishing up Second Form this year and next fall will start Wheelock's. Going through the first two Form books should enable her to finish Wheelock's in two years. The Form books covered most of the main grammar topics that she will encounter in the first half of Wheelock's, but Wheelock's will require much more translation work than the Form series did. The Form books are excellent for drilling the paradigms and the rules of Latin grammar, so that when the student moves on to a Latin 1 course, they can focus on challenging translations rather than getting hung up on trying to recall correct endings, etc.

I would think a high school student could work through the first two Form books in a year and then move to Wheelock's for the next two years. This would take the same amount of time as slowing Wheelock's down to a 3-year pace. Either way (and I think both are great options), I would assign two credits total if Wheelock's is completed - it covers the material necessary for Latin I and II. But if you do a search you will find that board members here differ on how they assign credits for Latin. ;)

• Like 2