Menu

Should she take Math 1 Subject Test?

SDD would like to take a couple of subject tests to back up her homeschool grades.  I also think it's important, especially if she wants college to be a back-up plan to her ballet dreams. :)

She is not a math whiz.  She will take precalc, but will likely go no further than that.  If she goes to college, she will not be a STEM major.    

The curve for Math 1 is much harsher than Math 2; should she still take it?  I'd rather her get a test out of the way this year, as she will be busy taking other exams next year (SATs, maybe another Subject Test, if not AP Lang).  Fitting test practice and exam taking in her already busy schedule is tricky.

I know the math level is similar to the math on the SAT.  

What would you do?

If she is not very good at math, no.

The test has a brutal curve, and the student population who takes the test is very self selected: kids who are great in math and want to get into highly selective schools.

For an average math student, the score will be disappointing.

I know the math level is similar to the math on the SAT.

The subject test is way harder.

A good subscore on the math section of the SAT or ACT will be easier to achieve and will serve to better validate her homeschool grades .

• Like 1

Not trying to hijack, but what should I be reading in order to know which subject tests are more ideal than others to take? I've been reading a lot here regarding high school but every time I think I begin to have a handle on something, I uncover another subject I know nothing about! What is the best source for learning about the curves for each test and best ones for students to take?

Not trying to hijack, but what should I be reading in order to know which subject tests are more ideal than others to take? I've been reading a lot here regarding high school but every time I think I begin to have a handle on something, I uncover another subject I know nothing about! What is the best source for learning about the curves for each test and best ones for students to take?

Collegeboard website. They post sample tests, topics covered, and score distributions.

• Like 1

Compass has some good articles discussing the SAT subject tests.  HTH.

• Like 1

I've never quite understood who the Math 1 test is geared toward. It seems to me that kids who are good at math would take the Math 2. And if you are not so good at math, you shouldn't bother with the Math 1.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

Why does the CB even have the "Math 1 Subject Test"?  If a college wants to see math proficiency they would really want the "Math 2 Subject Test".

So far only one college of our early "list" requires the "Math 2 Subject Test".