Menu

6 hours in the ER

MEmama

DH had pancreatitis about five years ago.  The pain caused him to pass out twice.  They got his lipase at 21,000.  (Normal is 75-150.)  They traced it quickly to his gall bladder, and removed it.  He recovered pretty quickly and hasn't had any problems since.  (He was already diabetic, but nothing got worse after.)

The only "side effect" has been how he rates things on the pain scale.  Now he always says, "If pancreatitis is a ten, this is only a ____."  (A lot of things he used to call an 8 or 9 only get a 3 or 4 now!)

• Like 2

DH had pancreatitis about five years ago. The pain caused him to pass out twice. They got his lipase at 21,000. (Normal is 75-150.) They traced it quickly to his gall bladder, and removed it. He recovered pretty quickly and hasn't had any problems since. (He was already diabetic, but nothing got worse after.)

The only "side effect" has been how he rates things on the pain scale. Now he always says, "If pancreatitis is a ten, this is only a ____." (A lot of things he used to call an 8 or 9 only get a 3 or 4 now!)

I'm glad it was resolved quickly for him and he doesn't have any lasting negative effects. The part about the pain scale is sobering. I'm kicking myself for not taking DH in earlier.

The MRI yesterday showed nothing. I'm going crazy not having answers; I know they are doing their best to figure it out but I'm so worried that the longer this goes on without a definitive cause that can be resolved, the more damage might be occurring.

• Like 1

I'm glad it was resolved quickly for him and he doesn't have any lasting negative effects. The part about the pain scale is sobering. I'm kicking myself for not taking DH in earlier.

The MRI yesterday showed nothing. I'm going crazy not having answers; I know they are doing their best to figure it out but I'm so worried that the longer this goes on without a definitive cause that can be resolved, the more damage might be occurring.

Are his enzymes trending down? Is he still NPO? (nothing by mouth), still on IV fluid?

Really supportive can and resting the gut is the treatment.  If is very frustrating to not no the cause! I am praying for a speedy recovery and a cause to be found.

• Like 1

Are his enzymes trending down? Is he still NPO? (nothing by mouth), still on IV fluid?

Really supportive can and resting the gut is the treatment. If is very frustrating to not no the cause! I am praying for a speedy recovery and a cause to be found.

Thank you!

Yes, this morning I was told his enzymes are way down. His lipase levels which started at well over 2,000 are now down to 100, a very good sign. All his other numbers are looking better this morning as well. They took him mostly off the IV and are allowing him a liquid diet, another big positive step. Last night they were concerned about early stages of pneumonia, but this morning his lungs are clear and he was able sit up in a chair for a spell. His breathing has noticeably improved from yesterday though his lung capacity is still very limited. Still, I'll take any progress at all right now.

Thank you to everyone for your positive thoughts and prayers.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 11