Menu

6 hours in the ER

MEmama

Around midnight DH woke up and started vomiting. Then he had terrible stomach cramps that wouldn't go away. We of course assumed it was a stomach bug and I fled to guest room. Around 4 am the cramping hadn't ceased so I took him to the ER. Still thinking it was a flu I wasn't sure what they could do, but I was really concerned. It turned out to be pancreatitis! He was admitted to the hospital around 10, and they'll keep him here overnight and possibly several days.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm super worried about possible long term effects. In the meantime if anyone has positive vibes to spare, he really could use them right now. In 25 years I've never seen him so miserable. :(

I waited too long to deal with my gallbladder and hadn't had an attack in gosh I think like 6 months? Then BAM! just like your dh. I suddenly woke up vomiting and with diareah and horrid cramping so dh took me to the er. Acute gallbladder had caused pancreatitis.

I had to wait 5 days to have my gallbladder removed and could not eat or drink anything during that time except ice chips to give 100% rest to my pancreas until it passed its danger zone.

Not fun.

But it's serious business. You do not want a permanently damaged pancreas. It will make life very hard.

I hope they find out whatever is causing this is treatable and temporary and doesn't cause major damage.

• Like 1

My MIL had an absolutely horrendous battle with pancreatitis that was ultimately (after many, many tests) determined to be caused by a gallbladder full of "sludge."  I don't know how many times they looked at her gallbladder and entire URQ before they figured out her gallbladder was full of sludge.  It took her about eight or nine months to recover from the pancreatitis enough that any surgeon was willing to touch her gallbladder to finally alleviate the problem.  It was a very bad time for her, and when she was finally able to have her gallbladder removed the surgeon said it was the worst one he'd ever seen.  But I'm sure hers was an unusually bad case, and I'm also sure she was much older than your DH.  The great news is that MIL fully recovered and is one of the healthiest, most active 80 year olds you'll ever meet.

I hope your DH's pancreatitis resolves quickly!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! I hope they find the cause quickly!

If you haven't already, gather a list not only of all his meds but also all supplements. Just in case they are contributing.

I had pancreatitis induced by meds (GB was long gone, and it wasn't a stone in the bile duct), the meds I was on are known to cause pancreatitis, ugh.

It was just awful.

He'll be on a clear liquid diet for awhile, and will probably have to start food slowly. They'll help him. I was soooo ready for real food after a bit...

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! I hope they find the cause quickly!

If you haven't already, gather a list not only of all his meds but also all supplements. Just in case they are contributing.

I had pancreatitis induced by meds (GB was long gone, and it wasn't a stone in the bile duct), the meds I was on are known to cause pancreatitis, ugh.

It was just awful.

He'll be on a clear liquid diet for awhile, and will probably have to start food slowly. They'll help him. I was soooo ready for real food after a bit...

That's a good idea. This morning they weren't sure about his blood pressure med. I'll bring it up tonight. Thank you.

• Like 1

Yikes!

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about. And exactly how he's dpending his time. :(

I hope they got you all the way fixed!

They did. No problems that I'm aware of. Tho for nearly 8 MONTHS after surgery I'd feel an itchy spot somewhere within about 5 inches of where my incisions (3 one inch slits, at the belly button, and two on either end of where the gallbladder would be right under the right rib age.) were and it would be an itty tip of white surgerical thread that had erupted through the skin and I'd pull it and anywhere from 1/8- 1 inch of thread would come out. Soooo. dang. Freaky. My dh and I half-joked they left a spool in there somewhere.

I heard horror stories of people who had bowel pblems for a year or life after words but I've had no complications or side effects that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

I have a friend whose DH had pancreatitis. It was scary, but it ended up being an autoimmune thing.  They basically had to put him on steroids to suppress his immune system for a LONG time (like 6 months) and it seemed to calm his system down enough.  But he was having other symptoms for awhile (stomach pains, and also some mild jaundice) that became acute. 

Hope they figure it out soon.

• Like 1

I'm going back in to the hospital this morning and hoping they have more news. As of last night they suspected the cause may have been due to high triglycerides, which surprises me because he routinely gets them monitored and his numbers aren't terribly high.

I feel like we do all the right things--we are healthy, eat well, exercise regularly, don't drink too much and so on, and then something like this happens. Gah. :(

I'm hopeful he'll be in less pain today and on fewer meds. I think DS was a bit freaked at how loopy he was last night.

He has a big ride (cycling) coming up in NYC (!!) in a few weeks that he's been planning forever and I'm worried he won't be strong enough by then. Assuming he doesn't need surgery (fingers crossed), is there any way his body will have recovered?

Edited by MEmama

My MIL had this about 14 years ago. It was caused by poor communications between doctors and she was on several medications that would cause this. Yeah, always talk to your doctor about ALL medication you are taking. It was scary for a few days but DH didn't hear about it till it was over. She told him what medications she was taking, and because he worked at a Pharma company he had to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork about adverse drug reaction. 

In the end she became heavily dependent on insulin (she says her pancreas barely works now) and gained a lot of weight that took bariatric surgery to even remotely control. She is doing better now, but it has been a long road.

Prayers for you and your husband. 

• Like 1

Around midnight DH woke up and started vomiting. Then he had terrible stomach cramps that wouldn't go away. We of course assumed it was a stomach bug and I fled to guest room. Around 4 am the cramping hadn't ceased so I took him to the ER. Still thinking it was a flu I wasn't sure what they could do, but I was really concerned. It turned out to be pancreatitis! He was admitted to the hospital around 10, and they'll keep him here overnight and possibly several days.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm super worried about possible long term effects. In the meantime if anyone has positive vibes to spare, he really could use them right now. In 25 years I've never seen him so miserable. :(

Oh, Lord...I'm sorry.

No experience here, but praying for a quick and total recovery. 

• Like 1

My MIL had this about 14 years ago. It was caused by poor communications between doctors and she was on several medications that would cause this. Yeah, always talk to your doctor about ALL medication you are taking. It was scary for a few days but DH didn't hear about it till it was over. She told him what medications she was taking, and because he worked at a Pharma company he had to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork about adverse drug reaction.

In the end she became heavily dependent on insulin (she says her pancreas barely works now) and gained a lot of weight that took bariatric surgery to even remotely control. She is doing better now, but it has been a long road.

Prayers for you and your husband.

The link to diabetes is a huge concern. It runs in his family (he lost a brother to unmanaged diabetes and ultimately kidney failure as a result) and he has some previous kidney damage (possibly trauma related but it's unclear), and though he isn't diabetic the genetic possibility always been worrying to him. Last night they gave him some insulin and I know he was super concerned about what that might mean.

Thanks for sharing this story. It gives me more questions to ask for sure.

This just happened to my sister's good friend's husband about a month ago. (is that too far removed from me?  We know them, but not well)  He came home from work feeling ill, began to vomit forcefully and it was really scary - they went to the ER.  He had something like gallbladder or gallstone induced pancreatitis.  They had to wait a few days for his pancreas to calm down before he could have his gallbladder removed.  He was in a huge amount of pain and was pretty miserable - ie, didn't want visitors!  He was in the hospital for over a week.  We had Easter with his family (about 2 weeks post surgery) and he looked pretty good - he had lost about 20 pounds, but otherwise he seemed to be recovering well.  So, yes, he was really really sick, but he was able to eventually have his gallbladder removed and he has recovered quickly.

I'm so sorry that your husband is so sick.  I hope he is feeling a little better today and that he is able to get the treatment he needs to heal!!

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 1

My Mom had diabetes, high blood pressure and end stage kidney disease when she got pancreatitis.

She was in horrible pain and could not stop puking. She was in the hospital

for about 6 days. They did not release her until she was able to eat a soft diet without pain.

By day 4 she was feeling much better and was very grumpy they wouldn't let her eat.

She took it slow and was feeling fine about 2-3 weeks later.

Praying all goes well :grouphug:

• Like 1

I just spoke with the doctor. He's very frustrated because DH doesn't fit the profile for getting this at all and there's no apparent reason for it. He estimates he'll be in the ICU for a week or two. I can't even begin to process that.

It's sooo frustrating to not have answers. :(

I just spoke with the doctor. He's very frustrated because DH doesn't fit the profile for getting this at all and there's no apparent reason for it. He estimates he'll be in the ICU for a week or two. I can't even begin to process that.

It was the same with my MIL.  The doctors and nurses did everything they could to "trick" her into admitting she was a closet alcoholic (she's a teetotaler).  They so wanted it to be something as simple as that.  I really think it took several days of her (and all the family) denying that alcohol was a possible cause before they believed it.  It was incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this now and sending  :grouphug:.  I can imagine the frustration.

Praying it goes well as it sounds pretty scary.

How are you doing?  Do you have needed help for the basics?

• Like 1

Just catching up on this now and sending :grouphug:. I can imagine the frustration.

Praying it goes well as it sounds pretty scary.

How are you doing? Do you have needed help for the basics?

Thank you.

Yes, we are in good shape as far as taking care of home stuff goes. The hospital is in town so I can go back and forth easily, and DS can take care of himself as needed. I can see now where living near family could be helpful though.

• Like 1

A week or two in ICU? Oh my goodness! :grouphug:

An acquaintance of ours got pancreatitis after untreated gallbladder issues following the birth of her second child. She was in the hospital a while, but she's home now with a PICC line for antibiotics and an NG tube. They didn't catch hers as quickly as your DH's. I hope his recovery progresses smoothly.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

A friend's 9 yr old dd got pancreatitis when a virus attacked her pancreas. So instead of just getting a virus like most with cold, fever, etc., it went straight to her pancreas. She was in the hospital and really sick for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

A week or two in ICU? Oh my goodness! :grouphug:

An acquaintance of ours got pancreatitis after untreated gallbladder issues following the birth of her second child. She was in the hospital a while, but she's home now with a PICC line for antibiotics and an NG tube. They didn't catch hers as quickly as your DH's. I hope his recovery progresses smoothly.

Yikes! With a brand new baby!? That's terrible. :(

A friend's 9 yr old dd got pancreatitis when a virus attacked her pancreas. So instead of just getting a virus like most with cold, fever, etc., it went straight to her pancreas. She was in the hospital and really sick for a couple weeks.

A virus? That's interesting. I'll ask the doctor about that possibility. Thanks for sharing.

Fwiw I feel bad "liking" all these stories--I not that I'm glad other people have been through it (obviously!), I just really appreciate you all sharing them with me.

• Like 1

A HIDA scan checks the functioning of the gallbladder.  It's common for there to be no stones or sludge, but for whatever reason the gallbladder just doesn't work as it should.  I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'm thinking there may be an issue with doing a HIDA scan.  During the normal procedure they inject the patient with something that mimics eating a very fatty meal.  And any fat at all is taboo for someone with pancreatitis.

• Like 1

A HIDA scan checks the functioning of the gallbladder. It's common for there to be no stones or sludge, but for whatever reason the gallbladder just doesn't work as it should. I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'm thinking there may be an issue with doing a HIDA scan. During the normal procedure they inject the patient with something that mimics eating a very fatty meal. And any fat at all is taboo for someone with pancreatitis.

Thanks. That's good information to take with me this morning. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

My daughter had this at 11.  Hers was caused by an ultra rare disease called atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome.  She was in PICU for 29 days and couldn't have food or drinks for that entire time.  Very painful, with the aHUS under control the pancreas healed. 

• Like 1

My daughter had this at 11. Hers was caused by an ultra rare disease called atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. She was in PICU for 29 days and couldn't have food or drinks for that entire time. Very painful, with the aHUS under control the pancreas healed.

I'm so sorry! I can't imagine. :(

I hope she healed completely.